PDA

View Full Version : Export Poser Rig to lightwave

AmigaNewTek
09-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Hello,

there's a way to export the Poser pro rig to lightwave?
I mean the rig itself for later editing in lightwave.

Thank you

RebelHill
09-03-2014, 12:01 PM
Any "control rig", no... The boned/skinned mesh, yes. Use the FBX export.

prometheus
09-03-2014, 12:11 PM
perhaps go the three way route, import the poser file to daz studio, export out fbx file to lightwave, that should maybe give you a control rig ..that is if it initially survives the process to go from poser to daz with the bones intact..try it and get back.

Thatīs one advantage at least daz has, exporting with bones intact.

I think there were some old commercial export plugins that indeed exported poser with bones too, (greenbriar?) or something..but I think that stopped in development and also compability.

wesleycorgi
09-03-2014, 12:21 PM
They now have the Poser Pro Game Dev that may ease the FBX export: http://poser.smithmicro.com/gamedev.html

Oldcode
09-03-2014, 01:30 PM
If you have Poser Pro v2012-2014, then it comes with Poser Fusion, a plugin that you can install into Lightwave to import Geometry, Textures, and Animation from a Poser scene PZ3 file. The things I've learned you can't bring into Lightwave from Poser are Lights, Camera, and Dynamic Hair.

http://poser.smithmicro.com/poserfusion2014.html

Good Luck,

Megalodon2.0
09-03-2014, 04:01 PM
The things I've learned you can't bring into Lightwave from Poser are Lights, Camera, and Dynamic Hair.
And bones...

prometheus
09-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Howīs it going to be...can poser fusion bring it over with bones or not? otherwise I donīt understand the mentioning of poser fusion here.

otherwise..why not just open the poser file in daz and export with fbx and that should bring the bones in to lightwave.

Oldcode
09-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Megalodon is right, Poser Fusion does not import the bones, but you don't have to. The idea is you animate the figure in poser, then bring the figures and any other objects into Lightwave, and use Lightwave to build the scene around the poser people. Poser is specifically designed to animate rigged figures, so its much easier to animate them in poser rather than Lightwave in my opinion. If you need to make any changes, simply go back into poser, make and save you changes, and the next time you open up your Lightwave scene, your updated animation will be there.

prometheus
09-03-2014, 04:47 PM
Megalodon is right, Poser Fusion does not import the bones, but you don't have to. The idea is you animate the figure in poser, then bring the figures and any other objects into Lightwave, and use Lightwave to build the scene around the poser people. Poser is specifically designed to animate rigged figures, so its much easier to animate them in poser rather than Lightwave in my opinion. If you need to make any changes, simply go back into poser, make and save you changes, and the next time you open up your Lightwave scene, your updated animation will be there.

The problem is that the threadstarter wanted editing with the bones in Lightwave, I can think of reasons for that, but of course, it may in most cases work as you mentioned, in other situations the character might need interaction editing with lightwave elements, bullet etc..wich will only make it a hazzle to swap between lightwave and poser..and you donīt have any idea on how the lightwave specific elements reacts etc.
maybe clothfx or syflex in lightwave is better of with a truly editable rig?

roboman
09-03-2014, 09:08 PM
You can save a bvh with all the joints set to 0. You then save the Char in that state. Import the Char and import the BVH into Lightwave. Haven't tried it in 11 yet but seemed to work fine for all the older ver that I've tried. Lots of Poser people have done product demos for me and were animated in Lightwave. About half used poser rigs exported as a BVH. You can even set up sliders to animate them just like you would in poser :)

Megalodon2.0
09-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Poser is specifically designed to animate rigged figures, so its much easier to animate them in poser rather than Lightwave in my opinion.
Of course you CAN animate in Poser, but one of the big reasons to animate in LW is the interaction of characters and other elements. Going back and forth between Poser and LW would not be worth it in my opinion if you have lots going on in Layout and are constantly tweaking. I also find animating in LW easier - though that's always been my preference. I've had Poser since v1 and don't like their animation system - but that's just an opinion. It really comes down to whatever works for you - and if it works well enough, that's fine.

You can save a bvh with all the joints set to 0. You then save the Char in that state. Import the Char and import the BVH into Lightwave. Haven't tried it in 11 yet but seemed to work fine for all the older ver that I've tried. Lots of Poser people have done product demos for me and were animated in Lightwave. About half used poser rigs exported as a BVH. You can even set up sliders to animate them just like you would in poser :)

Hadn't heard of that method. Interesting idea.

I've just brought in Poser characters and skelegon'd them in Modeler. If I were to do it now, I'd use Rhiggit2 and have complete control with great deformation.

AmigaNewTek
09-05-2014, 05:44 AM
I tried with Poser Fusion 2012, but it's not possible to export the rig (afaik). It is possible to export the entire animation on lightwave, but without rig or other facilities. In this way you can't do any other work later. I mean, just think about you have to change the head movement of a character: you can't do this, cause the animation proceed as you have initially created in Poser.

Oldcode
09-05-2014, 11:17 AM
I tried with Poser Fusion 2012, but it's not possible to export the rig (afaik). It is possible to export the entire animation on lightwave, but without rig or other facilities. In this way you can't do any other work later. I mean, just think about you have to change the head movement of a character: you can't do this, cause the animation proceed as you have initially created in Poser.

Go back into your poser scene and make and save your changes. The next time you load the LWS file that Poser Fusion created into Layout, the changes in the animation will be there.

Yes, it is a pain to have the poser animation baked in. But if you want to take a poser model and rig it in Lightwave, remember that there can be hundreds of controls in any given poser model. I use a lot of the M4 and V4 DAZ models with the morph packs. Between the main body, head, neck, chest, abdomen, hip, and arms and legs, you've got a huge variety of morph options that would take you FOREVER to recreate in Lightwave. Using the facial expression morphs in poser alone in my opinion will save you an incredible amount of time. It all depends on how much work you're willing to put in. I use both a combination of Poser models via Poser Fusion and exporting the models to Lightwave and making LWO objects out of them.