PDA

View Full Version : VPR Noise with Dome lights when Radiosity is enabled!

jboudreau
09-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Hi Guys

I came across this potential bug. The problem I'm having is when you use VPR with a scene that has radiosity with (Monte Carlo or Final Gather) while using a dome light the VPR render in both Draft and Non Draft mode causes a lot of noise on the preview.

Steps to re-create this possible bug

- Open the attached scene file 124023
- Activate VPR
- Once the VPR preview has finished rendering Image should look like image below

FIX / WORKAROUND

- Now click on one of the buttons below (camera, lights, bones objects, properties etc)

- VPR should refresh and you should see an image with no noise now like the image below

- if you turn off VPR and turn it back on again you get that same noise on the image again.

looks like their is a VPR refresh bug when using radiosity with dome lights. It doesn't happen if you use dome lights without radiosity on or if you use radiosity with background only.

Can someone please verify this?

Thanks
Jason

prometheus
09-03-2014, 12:31 PM
I found VPR seem to be buggy at sometimes generally when refining, sometimes..even in draft mode it seems to stop refine and don´t carry it through properly.

In this case.... I can confirm that once activated the vpr in best setting..it only refines it on my machine to 18.3 seconds and with that a grainy image, and when I switch selection mode it updates and starts a new refinement that goes on to about 32 seconds and a much nice cleaner
image.

could have something with how the cam AA i set maybe, or the dome lights samples are set.

Lightwave 11.62 32 bit windows 7 and your lw version is?

prometheus
09-03-2014, 12:41 PM
This seems to be a bug....I tried to select objects in another viewport and see if vpr refines better by different selections, but that doesn´t do anything..it still stops refining to early, but switching item selection mode like choosing camera or object buttons, that doe´s the trick.
May need to send fogbug report, thoug it might be wise to test the latest 11.6.3 versions or check that update log since it could have been fixed there?

Glad you posted this issue since I tend to work with domelights and vpr quite a lot, and have from time to time noticed that sometimes it looks good and sometimes grainy.

jboudreau
09-04-2014, 09:43 AM
This seems to be a bug....I tried to select objects in another viewport and see if vpr refines better by different selections, but that doesn´t do anything..it still stops refining to early, but switching item selection mode like choosing camera or object buttons, that doe´s the trick.
May need to send fogbug report, thoug it might be wise to test the latest 11.6.3 versions or check that update log since it could have been fixed there?

Glad you posted this issue since I tend to work with domelights and vpr quite a lot, and have from time to time noticed that sometimes it looks good and sometimes grainy.

Hi Prometheus

Thanks for looking into this for me. I'm using the latest 11.6.3 build and I have sent a fogbug report to newtek. No problem I'm glad to hear that the work around will come in handy for you. I was noticing the same thing and spend some time troubleshooting what was causing it. Glad to help

Thanks,
Jason