PDA

View Full Version : Workflow: Instancing: jumping directly to Instancer panel?

jeric_synergy
09-03-2014, 10:25 AM
If an Instancer item is the Current Item, is there a way to

jump DIRECTLY to the Instancer Panel,

instead of

opening the Object Properties
possibly clicking on the Instance tab
clicking on the Specific Instancer?

I realize there's a possibility of multiple Instancers: jumping to the TOP one (the list can be user-ordered currently :thumbsup: Excellent. ) would be fine-- AFAIK the ordering of Instancers has no current functionality.

raw-m
09-04-2014, 01:39 AM
Having this issue now & I agree with this point, too much clicking. Even 5 objects with Instances applied and its a pain to get to them, even though you can have the Instance windows all open at the same time, then your screen is a mess.

An Effects Settings tab similar to AE would be good, so you can see/edit plugins at a glance when an object is selected, along with a unified/tabbed UI.

If there's a workaround in the meantime I'd also be interested to hear about it.

jeric_synergy
09-04-2014, 02:19 AM
Submitted as feature request:
https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?72383_t22hvnk6

RebelHill
09-04-2014, 05:13 AM
@version 2.1
@warnings

generic
{
CommandInput("EditServer InstancerHandler 1");
}

Select an item with an instance generator... run the script.

raw-m
09-04-2014, 05:18 AM
Saved, loaded, mapped to key, very happy!

Thanks RH :D

jeric_synergy
09-04-2014, 09:15 AM
@version 2.1
@warnings

generic
{
CommandInput("EditServer InstancerHandler 1");
}

Select an item with an instance generator... run the script.
:hattip: Very nice, RH. --Really just stunned how you just whipped that up. Works a treat. :bowdown:

Surely LW3dG should include that in their distro, no? (Or their own version, which would be polite.) Now I need to find out how to amend a fogbugz, a process that never fails to flee my memory.

FWIW, details: named my c&p job "ShowInstancer_RH.ls", assigned CTRL+F2 to it

jeric_synergy
09-04-2014, 10:49 AM
If all the other panels of a similar nature are equally easy to code "Instant Access" scripts for, LW3dG should REALLY step up and include such scripts in the distro.

It would take them, what, ten minutes to code them all??

And "Direct Access to Buried Panels" should go on that notional whiteboard in the center of the dev office, as another principle to be respected when adding new features and systems. I'm including tabs, although at least tab selection now seems to be persistant. #afc

(Supplanting mouse navigation, which is HEINOUSLY slow, via dedicated hotkeys is a Universal Good Thing. You can still mouse, but The Power Users can fly around the interface via hotkeys.)

raw-m
09-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Still find it incredible that the tiniest thing and made such a massive improvement to workflow. It's now a pleasure to use.

jeric_synergy
09-04-2014, 11:46 AM
That's why I HAMMER these guys on CONVENIENCE.

CONVENIENCE is the difference between using something productively versus regretfully avoiding it.

And really, kudos again to RebelHill for showing us how easy it is.

RebelHill
09-04-2014, 12:03 PM
If all the other panels of a similar nature are equally easy to code "Instant Access" scripts for, LW3dG should REALLY step up and include such scripts in the distro.

Well... you can do the same for any "server" in LW... but that includes instancers, motion modifiers, custom object plugins, master plugins, etc, etc... If you wanted a single click button for every one, that'd be a LOT of buttons which'd clog up the interface far more than the current design.

Now if LW had an attributes panel on the side of the interface, somewhat like maya, that listed the servers on a selected item, that might be quicker.

jeric_synergy
09-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Well... you can do the same for any "server" in LW... but that includes instancers, motion modifiers, custom object plugins, master plugins, etc, etc... If you wanted a single click button for every one, that'd be a LOT of buttons which'd clog up the interface far more than the current design.
True enough, but there're various strategies for avoiding clutter:

New Tab (I have a USER TAB and RR_TOOLS tab, which isn't fully populated yet..)
Mouse Menus
Along with the "MORE WINDOWS" menu (submenu)
Hotkeys -- there will still be buttons somewhere, but if you have hotkeys you don't have to be seeing them all the time. Unperceived clutter is no clutter at all (in software).

BUT, imo hotkey is the way to go, because the mouse is slow. I chose CTRL+F2, because it was open and it 'works' for me. Everybody's mileage will vary on the hotkey selection.

re: the last: my tabs I use all the time are fine-tuned, the stuff I use rarely are messy, much like a house. If I used mouse menus more, which I should, I'd optimize them. I think the MORE WINDOWS button is the place for these functions though.

raw-m
12-04-2014, 03:23 AM
Hi RH

sorry to bring this back. I'm trying out LW2015 and applying this script that worked so well in 11.6. In LW2015 I'm now getting a "Can't find specified server" error when I run the script. I guess something under the hood has changed, is there a quick script change you can make?

jeric_synergy
12-04-2014, 09:05 AM
I wonder if it's something TINY, like a case change or a spelling change. Oy.

raw-m
12-04-2014, 09:40 AM
It's basically only one little line, I'd try and look it up but wouldn't know where to look (and I got a job to do!).

jeric_synergy
12-04-2014, 11:27 AM
try doing a case-INsensitive search in the SDK-- that might get you in the neighborhood.

BTW, are any of your other scripts misbehaving?

raw-m
12-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Got a couple of random/show-stopper crashes and no time to track back/log/fogbugz etc so have poped back to 11.6 to get this one done.

adk
12-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Hi RH

sorry to bring this back. I'm trying out LW2015 and applying this script that worked so well in 11.6. In LW2015 I'm now getting a "Can't find specified server" error when I run the script. I guess something under the hood has changed, is there a quick script change you can make?

The "Can't find specified server" error comes up when you have an item selected that doesn't have Instance Generator applied.
Selecting anything that has Instance generator applied, then executing script, appears to work fine for me in 2015. Same thing in 11.6.3.
How did it use to work ?

raw-m
12-05-2014, 03:31 AM
Thank adk for the confirmation. Tried it again this morning at it worked :D I'm positive that I tried it 3 or 4 times yesterday, on different setups, with no joy...