PDA

View Full Version : How is this done?

meshpig
09-01-2014, 03:56 AM
Here's a major PP project we're currently tendering to, obviously not in the graphic sense but curious as to how the compositing is done on this scale?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V28tFTQQHnQ

scallahan1
09-01-2014, 06:39 AM
That looks like a lot of work. Very well done. In some places I forgot I was watching CG.

Steve-o

meshpig
09-01-2014, 06:59 AM
Indeed Steve, it's quite amazing.

sukardi
09-01-2014, 06:53 PM
Looks like everything was modeled and rendered. Epic amount of asset creation ...

pinkmouse
09-02-2014, 02:19 AM
Indeed. Lots and lots of low poly buildings with projection maps.

safetyman
09-02-2014, 05:34 AM
Very nicely done. One thing bothers me though (not from a CG sense)... I don't see any railings along the tracks; the trains just scoot along next to people, busy intersections, next to streets, etc. I realize this could be a WIP, so forgive my observation.

meshpig
09-03-2014, 01:06 AM
Very nicely done. One thing bothers me though (not from a CG sense)... I don't see any railings along the tracks; the trains just scoot along next to people, busy intersections, next to streets, etc. I realize this could be a WIP, so forgive my observation.

Probably based on the existing track running the same trams. They do run on dedicated paths and move slowly amongst pedestrians but I can think of a few spots where it might be an issue. TGI's ( tactile ground indicators ) are used here rather than railings.

glebe digital
09-03-2014, 03:05 AM
Kinda wish they'd greenscreen'd the guy reading the newspaper, rather than just using a static trans-map ..... he's gumming up the whole project!

lardbros
09-03-2014, 10:13 AM
I have a feeling those people are RPC people
https://www.archvision.com/rpccontent/people#25d-moving-business-people-vol-2

They are effectively 2d sprites, but as the camera moves around them, the plugin changes the sprite to look like it's rotating around a 3d character, when in actual fact it's simply a 2d billboard.

Nice work, and on a huge scale!

SteveH
09-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Wow the amount of work - modeling, animating and especially rendering that animation is amazing. If you look on YouTube you can see a total of 3 animations they did. The sophistication and improvement from the first one to the last one is quite a jump.

meshpig
09-04-2014, 07:31 AM
Kinda wish they'd greenscreen'd the guy reading the newspaper, rather than just using a static trans-map ..... he's gumming up the whole project!

Screensnot for the blind Sir?

meshpig
09-04-2014, 07:39 AM
Wow the amount of work - modeling, animating and especially rendering that animation is amazing. If you look on YouTube you can see a total of 3 animations they did. The sophistication and improvement from the first one to the last one is quite a jump.

Hey links? I remember about 4 years ago recommending someone from these forums for this. "Dodgy" from memory. Would have been a bit of a SF back then.

glebe digital
09-04-2014, 09:24 AM
Here you go:

I mean, one goes to all that effort.....even if the greenscreen couple behind him are from a stock library, you'd really want to tie-up such a prominent foreground asset......nitpicking perhaps, but it's stuff like this that grates.......

meshpig
09-05-2014, 03:15 AM
Here you go:

I mean, one goes to all that effort.....even if the greenscreen couple behind him are from a stock library, you'd really want to tie-up such a prominent foreground asset......nitpicking perhaps, but it's stuff like this that grates.......

Ah, wow. I see what you mean. He's "Captain Fathom"... funnily enough, my wife is convinced the green screened dude behind him is the former chief of staff for the previous Labor transport minister and they don't appear to have noticed that either :)

bazsa73
09-05-2014, 04:04 AM
I wonder if they used lowpoly geo for the aerial shots and on top they projected photography + hand tweaked image maps. Anyways, it must have been tedious.

SteveH
09-07-2014, 07:43 AM
Sorry - here are the two older animations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNg7qlEh6Go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUQoV8DPkNI