PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 11.6.3 stopped save anything.

Mr Rid
08-29-2014, 01:03 AM
Ever since I recently updated to LW 11.6.3 it has been plagued with problems. Suddenly, I am no longer able to save anything- objects, motions, MDD, all only save as 0kb files... reinstall?

Mr Rid
08-29-2014, 01:21 AM
Well, uninstalling LW, clearing configs, and reinstalling did not work. Why on Earth am I unable to save anything out of LW?

ncr100
08-29-2014, 01:29 AM
PC? Mac?

Mr Rid
08-29-2014, 01:52 AM
Win7 pro 64bit. Its a strange thing, I am still trying to narrow down. I tried a more thorough reinstall, and now I can save objects and MDDs, but I cannot save scenes, motion files or menu configs.

LW has been crashing a LOT. It froze my system earlier, and I had to reset, and I think maybe that is when the problem started. I am not running antivirus.

Waves of light
08-29-2014, 02:22 AM
If its not writing files, could it be a permissions issue. I always install LW using'run as administrator' on the exe just in case. Because I had issues with writing the licence file years ago. Also, when you uninstalled lw, did you run a registry cleaner (like ccleaner) before reinstalling?

Marander
08-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Did you install something else recently? I have seen this behavior before and it turned out to be some malware that hijacked windows explorer. Several programs were not allowed certain write operations anymore. Check the taskmanager and which processes are running (select to display processes of all users). Try to kill suspicious processes. If they reappear quickly, locate the exe file. Is the antivirus sw working properly? Maybe I'm wrong and a have not had this issue on my machines but its worth checking because also the crashes are very unusual for LW. Another thing I would do is running scandisk. Maybe the storage area where your scene files are is corrupted. Try if you can manually create documents and subfolders there. Open the scene files in a text editor.

Just some ideas.

Mr Rid
08-30-2014, 11:10 PM
Thanks guys. No malware. I had checked permissions, which should not have changed suddenly. Anyway, after being too up late and tired, trying different uninstalls/reinstalls (using Revo to dig into registry), it started working again. I don't know what changed.

There seems to be multiple issues that are difficult to disentangle. I replaced a system drive recently, and have since been plagued with odd glitches, crashes, stop errors, and conflicting diagnostic reports (fine one minute, then not the next), that various supports are not able to decipher. But LW is unusably crashy, and it must be something wrong in my OS, or hardware (clean OS installs on different, formatted drives result in same problems) that is not easy to pin down. Will have to take it to a shop.

ncr100
08-31-2014, 10:38 AM
Congrats! (on fixing for now)