PDA

View Full Version : rebusfarm renderfarm

rednova
08-27-2014, 02:38 PM
Dear Friends:

I was just reading the latest issue of 3d world.
I found an ad for Rebusfarm.
Is a render farm with 1700 cpu's.
link: www.RebusFarm.net
I am very impressed !!! 1700 CPUs !!!
I don't really need it now, as I am still learning and will only work on a few shorts.
But this is great help: If in the future I can secure time and money to produce a nice
animated film (with Lightwave) then with the renderfarm it will cut greatly into the time
it takes to render the film. This is very encouraging, it means I can concentrate on
modeling and animation, and leave the rendering to the render farm.
This is great news !!!

OnlineRender
08-27-2014, 03:24 PM
when you have something to render , try garagefarm.net I can only speak from experience on my part.

calilifestyle
08-27-2014, 04:50 PM
I kind like how easy Rebusfarm is to set up. One problem I have to wait 30 hours before my frames get worked on. kind of crazy.

pixelplow
08-29-2014, 05:55 PM
I kind like how easy Rebusfarm is to set up. One problem I have to wait 30 hours before my frames get worked on. kind of crazy.

Woof...that's brutal. Sounds like some other farms we know about. We're totally different, though. You might want to look us up.

vonpietro
08-30-2014, 04:51 AM
What kind of promotions do you guys do - I saw a promotional code thingy on your site.
http://www.pixelplow.net/#!/sign-up/

Prices look great.

CaptainMarlowe
08-30-2014, 06:48 AM
Yep, but unfortunately, pixel plow is not mac-compatible, whereas rebus farm or garage farm are cross platforms or platform independents...

pixelplow
08-30-2014, 08:32 AM
What kind of promotions do you guys do - I saw a promotional code thingy on your site.
http://www.pixelplow.net/#!/sign-up/

Prices look great.

We haven't run any promotions yet. We dropped our setup fee at the beginning of the year, and our pricing is the lowest in the industry. Promotions aren't really necessary at that point.

pixelplow
08-30-2014, 08:36 AM
Yep, but unfortunately, pixel plow is not mac-compatible, whereas rebus farm or garage farm are cross platforms or platform independents...

Heard of Parallels? :^)

It's true we don't *directly* support the Mac platform with our client yet, but setting up a Windows VM to run our software on your Mac is pretty quick and easy. We've been adding features too quickly to support a second submission platform yet. If you watch how our software operates, you'd see it is well worth the effort of getting it working on your Mac...or just using a spare second machine as your submitting/managing computer. That's what our Mac-centric users have been doing.

CaptainMarlowe
08-30-2014, 09:55 AM
Yes heard of parallels, even other solutions like virtual box and don't want to use it. To be more precise, I just don't want to have buy windows to have it installed on my computer. I could try to get it working with the wine trick and thus have an application that I can start directly from OS X with a wrapper, but otherwise, if it's not mac-compatible, then I'm not interested, especially when there are native-mac solutions available out there.

pixelplow
08-30-2014, 10:01 AM
That's cool. You're certainly welcome to do that. Our Mac users prefer spending a fourth of what they would on Rebus, so to each their own. Yes, not having a native Mac client is a pain for those of you who only work on Mac's. Maybe once our development cycle slows down a bit we can work on porting our client to the Mac.

3dworks
08-30-2014, 11:20 AM
another vote for cross platform compatible renderfarms. i've had good experience with both, rebusfarm (maxwell) and garagefarm (native lightwave), so far.

cheers

markus

pixelplow
08-30-2014, 01:02 PM
So, here's a question for the Mac guys. If we had a Mac-native job submission agent, would you use our services instead of other public farms? If so, why? If not, why not?

What I'm trying to get at is: Is our lack of a Mac-native submission agent the only reason you don't want to use us? If we're leaving out a large segment of the market due to only that, we may accelerate our Mac client plans.

I appreciate your feedback.

CaptainMarlowe
08-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Having a native client agent would be a good point for sure, and it's for me a show stopper not to have one (unless your agent works with the wine trick, once again, and I'll test that when I have some spare time). Then, I guess the criterias would be price, render times and ease of use to decide between your farm and other render farms.

3dworks
08-30-2014, 03:11 PM
for mac only based studios, only a mac client would make an evaluation of your services possible - as you don't offer 'classical' FTP based upload specifically on your web site.

i also checked your web site for more general info, but found not much information about the size and specs of your farm. it is paramount to know how much RAM you offer per node and if a node is also offering any GPU engine, be it CUDA or openCL based. also, a cost calculator like you can find it on the concurrent sites would be useful for a rough estimation. also, i found no detailed info about which LW plugins are supported.

cheers

markus

vonpietro
08-30-2014, 10:01 PM
i'm appreciative of all the render farms out there, the low price, low priority is just fine for someone doing their own projects that dont have hard deadlines.
Makes things possible that were not before. I could not render out thousands of frames on my lil laptop at an hour a frame. But now with online render farms, I can do some complex stuff without breaking the bank.
thanks pixelplow =)

pixelplow
08-31-2014, 08:52 AM
Having a native client agent would be a good point for sure, and it's for me a show stopper not to have one (unless your agent works with the wine trick, once again, and I'll test that when I have some spare time). Then, I guess the criterias would be price, render times and ease of use to decide between your farm and other render farms.

Good feedback. Thanks very much.

pixelplow
08-31-2014, 09:19 AM
for mac only based studios, only a mac client would make an evaluation of your services possible - as you don't offer 'classical' FTP based upload specifically on your web site.

i also checked your web site for more general info, but found not much information about the size and specs of your farm. it is paramount to know how much RAM you offer per node and if a node is also offering any GPU engine, be it CUDA or openCL based. also, a cost calculator like you can find it on the concurrent sites would be useful for a rough estimation. also, i found no detailed info about which LW plugins are supported.

cheers

markus

The reasons we don't offer "classical FTP upload" are multiple:

1) It doesn't allow us to deliver frames back to you immediately after they are rendered
2) It doesn't allow you to easily specify a few details about your scene that are not part of the scene or asset files but are needed to render it correctly
3) It's an inherent security vulnerability
4) We are a render farm, not an offsite storage service. Security and privacy concerns demand we render-transfer-purge as quickly as possible.
5) There are far too many steps to that method of data delivery, making it very cumbersome to integrate into workflow

We realize most other (maybe every) public render farm out there operates on the basis of FTP'ing data back and forth, but we would have to take a technological leap backward to support that.

We don't publish our node count because we've found it is actually not that important in the grand scheme of things. We actually used many of the other farms out there before and while we were building ours, and it was painfully obvious that farm size (node count) didn't mean *anything* in terms of overall job performance. What really mattered was the time between job submission and frame delivery. The scheduling engine we built runs all jobs at all times until completion, continuously varying which node works on what part of what job based on the job priority at that moment. I, myself, used to think node count was king...but if it takes 30 hours (or more) for your scene to even start seeing a node, that's not going to help you very much at all. It's somewhat difficult to explain that to someone, but it's very obvious if you take the same job and submit it to our farm and one of our competitors simultaneously.

Our nodes currently have 32GB of memory. We currently don't offer any GPU nodes, but may if there is a demand for it (no one has requested it yet). Cost calculators are kind of gimmicky to me. I mean, to really know how much your job would cost, you would have had to rendered it entirely on a reference system to use for comparison, right? At that point, you would have already rendered it, thus defeating the purpose of using a render farm. What we do instead is have two cost-based features that both work on a per-job basis. 1) You may submit a job with a budget limit. If, at any time, the total job cost is estimated to be over your defined budget limit, our system automatically suspends that job and email alerts you to that fact. You, then, have the option of cancelling the job or removing the budget limit and letting the job run to completion. You're only charged for what you use, so this is a great way to minimize any risk with a job that takes far more time/money than you anticipated. 2) We deliver job cost estimates to our client GUI in real-time. Whether or not you submit a job with a budget, we're still going to tell you what our farm thinks your job will cost during the course of the render. We believe those two options are far more powerful than a cost estimator, since the estimator doesn't do you any good once your job is actually running on the farm. We can and have done cost estimates for people that have requested them, though. We're also working on a demo reel with several examples of scenes, render apps, and job metrics.

As to which LW plug-ins we support...that would be none right now. We are new enough to the field that we don't have any LW customers yet. We have lots of Max, Maya, Terragen, and Blender customers. As for supporting a plug-in that isn't currently supported, that's going to be determined on a case-by-case basis. After all, we do have to have business justification for the cost of a plug-in.

Thanks very much for the feedback...keep it coming! I hope to have answered some of your questions and given reason for why we have done things the way we've done things.

- - - Updated - - -

i'm appreciative of all the render farms out there, the low price, low priority is just fine for someone doing their own projects that dont have hard deadlines.
Makes things possible that were not before. I could not render out thousands of frames on my lil laptop at an hour a frame. But now with online render farms, I can do some complex stuff without breaking the bank.
thanks pixelplow =)

You are welcome!

vonpietro
09-07-2014, 11:02 PM
had a question about radiosity caching

how does a render farm handle radiosity caching?

I render an image and cache the radiosity solution (sometimes i bake more solution into the cache too)
do i upload the cache?

if i dont cache - will i get noise from radiosity renders that are not cached?

pixelplow
09-08-2014, 09:06 AM
had a question about radiosity caching

how does a render farm handle radiosity caching?

I render an image and cache the radiosity solution (sometimes i bake more solution into the cache too)
do i upload the cache?

if i dont cache - will i get noise from radiosity renders that are not cached?

I can only speak to the way we handle it. Any pre-rendered lighting caches will be uploaded with the scene file as long as they are in the same source directory or within a subfolder of the source directory. Anything not present in the uploaded scene package would be regenerated by the render node with whatever consequences that delivers. We actually just started supporting full GI cache handling for Terragen scenes, so that is automatically created on the farm (at farm speed) if not uploaded. We could deliver that kind of support to other applications if the app is friendly enough to allow for the automation of that.

devin
09-08-2014, 09:30 AM
How about plug-in support?

pixelplow
09-08-2014, 08:18 PM
How about plug-in support?

If you're asking me, I actually answered that in #17. If meant for someone else, immediately ignore me. :^)

pixelplow
10-28-2014, 03:17 PM
For those here that wanted us to directly support the Mac. We do now. A few details here:
http://www.pixelplow.net/#!/fruit-fans-find-fabulous-fips-for-frames/

CaptainMarlowe
10-29-2014, 12:08 AM
Great news ! The native mac offer is widening, it's good. I am in preproduction of a short right now, but I can certainly benefit from a service like yours for the final renderings.

3dworks
10-29-2014, 08:06 AM
so if in case of LW: if the GI cache is within the standard "Radiosity" folder inside the folder which also contains "Scenes", "Objects" etc, it would work as long as the relative paths in the scene are setup correctly? same would be true for MDD assets within the "VertCache" folder, etc?

thanks for the mac client. makes an evaluation possible the next time we are going to use a farm ;-)

cheers

markus

pixelplow
10-29-2014, 08:42 AM
so if in case of LW: if the GI cache is within the standard "Radiosity" folder inside the folder which also contains "Scenes", "Objects" etc, it would work as long as the relative paths in the scene are setup correctly? same would be true for MDD assets within the "VertCache" folder, etc?

thanks for the mac client. makes an evaluation possible the next time we are going to use a farm ;-)

cheers

markus

Yes indeed. Our software grabs the entire scene folder the way LW typically stores its assets. Yes, using relative pathing is pretty important.

We are beginning work on in-app plug-ins that will make this easier for the artists. We have plans (or code already) for plug-ins for 3dsmax, LW, Modo, Terragen, and Maya. Others may be added to that list later.

pixelplow
10-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Great news ! The native mac offer is widening, it's good. I am in preproduction of a short right now, but I can certainly benefit from a service like yours for the final renderings.

Just FYI, we're trying to position and build our service such that it's cost-effective and easier to use (than doing everything on your local machine) on a daily basis for test renderings. Test renders can be kicked out in several minutes for only a few dollars, so we're trying to change the "public render farms are only for final renders" paradigm. I know that's how the industry has viewed them in the past, and I get it. The entire job submission and result delivery process can be painful. That's why our platform does everything as automatically as possible.

Jina
11-07-2017, 04:32 AM
May be it's offtopic idea, but here is a list of morе then 70 renderfarms. That list containes renderfarms around the world... Using that list you can compare renderfarms by price, soft, render client and etc

here is a link https://rentrender.com/all-render-farms-list/

Amerelium
11-10-2017, 02:04 AM
woo - did the calculator thing; The farm claims to render in 2 hours a scene that takes me 42 days - will cost $1000 though...