PDA

View Full Version : Online object conversion tool (free)

Cyberfish_Fred
08-27-2014, 04:38 AM
http://www.liberty3d.com/2014/08/online-3d-model-conversion-tool/

Cheers,

Freddy

prometheus
08-27-2014, 04:51 AM
meh....misses one (or two)of the most asked for formats,namely sldasm,sldprt and iges. (biased opinion:))
Had to resort to deep exploration before to get such conversion to obj format and render in lightwave, but as of today if I had a client, I think I would invest actually in modo and cad loaders which also tesselates to quad geometry.
might be expensive if you donīt have a specific client to justify it though.

It would rock if the lightwave team could work on getting sldasm,prt,iges nativly..oh it would rock and help out a lot, maybe would even help market and sell lightwave as a conversion tool included with all the other stuff, and since we have some implementations of stl and 3d printing..it will help us get hold of those free sldasm models on grabcad etc without stumbling on the how to convert wall.

Ztreem
08-27-2014, 05:46 AM
meh....misses one (or two)of the most asked for formats,namely sldasm,sldprt and iges. (biased opinion:))
Had to resort to deep exploration before to get such conversion to obj format and render in lightwave, but as of today if I had a client, I think I would invest actually in modo and cad loaders which also tesselates to quad geometry.
might be expensive if you donīt have a specific client to justify it though.

It would rock if the lightwave team could work on getting sldasm,prt,iges nativly..oh it would rock and help out a lot, maybe would even help market and sell lightwave as a conversion tool included with all the other stuff, and since we have some implementations of stl and 3d printing..it will help us get hold of those free sldasm models on grabcad etc without stumbling on the how to convert wall.

As it seems to only import polygon based formats its understanable that no support for solid or surface formats is included. I would say buy rhino its super handy for format conversion from cad to polys and you can also use it for modeling in nurbs if you don't want to hassle with sds on complex shapes.

prometheus
08-27-2014, 06:14 AM
As it seems to only import polygon based formats its understanable that no support for solid or surface formats is included. I would say buy rhino its super handy for format conversion from cad to polys and you can also use it for modeling in nurbs if you don't want to hassle with sds on complex shapes.

Yes...rhino is indeed an option, though I donīt explicit have the need for it now,Iīm just checking in advance mostly and maybe for some future presentations to showcase... then again I wonder if not modo and cad loaders would be more interesting though, considering the texture and painting tools in there, and maybe cause the quad tesselation engine is there, i am not sure you can pull that of in rhino directly inside of rhino, then it will also be a matter or rendering it straight on in the software which modo should be able to do galantly, and for rhino you would have to go with special dedicated renders which might not have a good previewer.
Not sure....is octane released for rhino?

Ztreem..have you worked with rhino T-splines,and if so..how is it to work with?

raymondtrace
08-27-2014, 07:48 AM
A few more options for CAD to LW...

IGES/STEP (among many other formats) can be converted for free with FreeCAD (http://www.freecadweb.org/). FreeCAD offers OBJ export, and others.

I also use Carrara to translate CAD files. I picked up a few different versions for free from 3D magazine cover discs over the years.

Both Carrara and Rhino offer fully functional trials and can convert directly to LWO.

prometheus
08-27-2014, 08:39 AM
A few more options for CAD to LW...

IGES/STEP (among many other formats) can be converted for free with FreeCAD (http://www.freecadweb.org/). FreeCAD offers OBJ export, and others.

I also use Carrara to translate CAD files. I picked up a few different versions for free from 3D magazine cover discs over the years.

Both Carrara and Rhino offer fully functional trials and can convert directly to LWO.

Thanks..interesting with FreeCAD, iges..thatīs quite good, though I would prefer sldasm, depends on what files you get from a constructor working with solidworks, when I worked in co-operation with an engineer, we would go for sldasm, we tried iges but it didnīt turn out that well compared to sldasm, canīt recall why exactly though.

Michael

prometheus
08-27-2014, 12:50 PM
Thanks again raymondtrace, just installed freecad.
first...
what the ..swedish UI, ha...might come in handy, but I am so used with english in cad so maybe I could switch to english, have to check, looking for fillet..and "runda kanter" is not stored in my brain for cad operations:)

second...
the toolbars are reduced by default, think they actually need to make the installation files with more tools in there, some minutes to find the primitives etc..basic tools to get going, I found the workbench/complete which added the most stuff I wanted, so I recommend to start with that.

third..
the navigation for orbiting isnīt nice by default,shift right mouse button and the orbiting itself feels weird, but I found navigation styles, right mouse click in the scene, and I could use blender or inventor style navigation wich I felt was better.

fourth, tested fillets, works nicely in mm, but It doesnīt seem to be realtime live update options while you are doing it, will have to request that in the forums.

I also exported to obj format for testing with lightwave, it also has dae format, anyway, the import went fine, triangled of course, tested to do merge triangles in lightwave ..not perfect but might come in handy, maybe the lighwave team could work on
a more advance merge triangle tool with options/threashold/quality etc, or make a quad tool sort of.

check image on merge triangle...
I think I will have to start a new thread around here with a titel of FreeCad-lightwave pipeline or just FreeCad, nice to see obj format, I recall two years ago with solidworks, we couldnīt just export out to obj format, so it may be valuable at sometime.
otherwise It feel and looks similar to solidworks...nice to have the switch to top,side,front views with the numering pads.

123886 123887

raymondtrace
08-27-2014, 02:08 PM
I have to confess that I only use FreeCAD for viewing and converting. I have not built or modified anything in it so I can't speak to its function in detail.

That's nifty that it picked up your locale automatically. You can alter language... Edit->Preferences->General->Language

When I'm really stuck on a complex model, I prefer the Rhino trial.

prometheus
08-27-2014, 02:24 PM
I have to confess that I only use FreeCAD for viewing and converting. I have not built or modified anything in it so I can't speak to its function in detail.

That's nifty that it picked up your locale automatically. You can alter language... Edit->Preferences->General->Language

When I'm really stuck on a complex model, I prefer the Rhino trial.

Yeah I noticed that I could do that, and without closing the program.. so thatīs nice, and I switched to english since I am more customed to work with and find tools in english language, even though Im swedish to the bone.

tested some boolean cutīs and it works nicely, took some minute before I knew how to transform and move the parts, I need to understand the dimension tools, right now I donīt grasp it and it should be a simple thing like in solidworks or sketchup, but the
way it works in freecad...first impression is that it sucks...or I do:)

Collada export seems broken too, nothing is saved when I export.
For correct scale upon using obj format, I edited the lightwave obj import scale to 0,1% so an object from freecad with 10mm shows up as 10 mm in lightwave too, double sided should probably be checked in the lightwave obj preferences too.

Michael

Ztreem
08-27-2014, 02:28 PM
Ztreem..have you worked with rhino T-splines,and if so..how is it to work with?

Yes, I don't like to work with Tsplines as a sds modeler in rhino i prefer to work in LW and export as obj and then use Tsplines to convert it to nurbs. LW and Tsplines saved my butt yesterday. I was working on a plastic part for manufacturing in rhino and got big problems to get all surfaces to join properly. So I saved out a dense mesh of my model and brought into LW. In LW I did a plane and added polygons flowing in the right direction of my part and used heatshrink to conform it to the right shape. Exported as obj and converted it to nurbs with tsplines and got a working model very close to the original. The quality of the surfaces was not as good but good enough. This method works fine if you need to make quad geometry of cad data.

prometheus
08-27-2014, 02:58 PM
Yes, I don't like to work with Tsplines as a sds modeler in rhino i prefer to work in LW and export as obj and then use Tsplines to convert it to nurbs. LW and Tsplines saved my butt yesterday. I was working on a plastic part for manufacturing in rhino and got big problems to get all surfaces to join properly. So I saved out a dense mesh of my model and brought into LW. In LW I did a plane and added polygons flowing in the right direction of my part and used heatshrink to conform it to the right shape. Exported as obj and converted it to nurbs with tsplines and got a working model very close to the original. The quality of the surfaces was not as good but good enough. This method works fine if you need to make quad geometry of cad data.

Thanks..interesting to know, interesting workflow..and yes I have visualized how you might be able to heatshrink a quad geometry over tri meshes like imported geo from cad, but it also seem like a very brute force to go about it that way.
I am spending some hours messing with FreeCad now, looking also at importing obj format..works ok for simple things, havenīt tried heavy stuff which most likely would choke it, but fun to test, I converted the obj imported mesh to solid and performed
booleans with freecads primitives on to imported obj formats, works too..but workflow wise I am still a little lost with scaling tools and some other things.

in Freecad theres something called create mesh from shape and create shape from mesh, and a check option for quad domination, but not sure if that is a tool to quad tesselate it?

Michael

spherical
08-27-2014, 03:40 PM
I use FreeCAD a lot; mostly for conversion. Haven't taken the time to learn how to model in it yet. I have an old Rhino that I fall back on for nurbs modeling and conversion between formats. MoI (http://moi3d.com/) is similar to Rhino; being written by one of Rhino's original coders. Far less expensive. Exports to: .3dm, .igs, .stp, .sat, .obj, .stl, .3ds, .lwo, .fbx, .skp and .ai.

prometheus
08-27-2014, 03:44 PM
working with simple adjustments to scale and size in freecad ..seems way off what I can endure though..for such simple operations this must be handled much better, weird.
also..doing some undo operations simply makes the object vanish...weird.

Ztreem
08-27-2014, 04:01 PM
Thanks..interesting to know, interesting workflow..and yes I have visualized how you might be able to heatshrink a quad geometry over tri meshes like imported geo from cad, but it also seem like a very brute force to go about it that way.

Michael

Yes, but how often do you really need quad geometry from cad data? I can imagine that if you need to deform something it could be good with quads but then it mostly some parts that need deforming not a 5000 pieces cad assembly. What I heard from a company that tried cad tools for modo, they said that it was not working that good and are not using it anymore.

spherical
08-27-2014, 04:18 PM
doing some undo operations simply makes the object vanish...weird.

Does it come back if you go farther back? Some operations have interim steps where the mesh is replaced.

prometheus
08-27-2014, 04:30 PM
Does it come back if you go farther back? Some operations have interim steps where the mesh is replaced.

nope it doesnīt..and the more I use it ..it feels way to buggy for simple operations, I can for instance use data property and use an arrow to increase or decrease a fillet on the object, in steps, and it donīt auto update live in viewport until I click in viewport
or in the data property window, but if I were to adjust scale...you donīt have that arrow and have to enter values numericly for scaling of x.y,z..this is horrible.

tried some creation of splines and extruding it and trying some edge selection and fillet on that, and boom..the whole object is gone.
so ..some stuff is nice ..and some is just...well at least itīs free.

prometheus
08-27-2014, 04:37 PM
Yes, but how often do you really need quad geometry from cad data? I can imagine that if you need to deform something it could be good with quads but then it mostly some parts that need deforming not a 5000 pieces cad assembly. What I heard from a company that tried cad tools for modo, they said that it was not working that good and are not using it anymore.

well..I think the whole mesh simply would be cleaner and lower in size, since where you have a quad poly, it will be less polys than one quad poly split in to triīs, but I could have used that since we had some cushions made in basic form..which I simply could have turned on subpatching on with some quads, and it would have looked quite ok from scratch when rendering, as it turned out, I just used cushion parts from solid works as a template and modeled a subpatch version in Lighwave.

Now if our engineer had been more proficient with surfaces in solidworks, he might have been able to do it there, then again that would have added a lot of extra time to remodel every cushion for our machines, and that time did in fact was my job to take care of doing remodeling, but it may have saved a lot of time if a good tesselation engine could have turned out those cushion main forms in to a nice quad form for switching to subpatch and a good render straight away, trying to render the machines with those cushion parts as they were from solidwork just looked horrible.

prometheus
08-27-2014, 04:50 PM
Another thing with quads, since you can subpatch them hopefully, you can also increase mesh density level in the render subpatch option, so if I got a 3 logo designed in cad with some nice text inset bevels in that logo plate and I need a very large 2 meter rollup display, I think the image would look to edgy if I were to render straight out from a "stiff" imported cad file only, I believe that would have been solved better if the object could be turned in to a subpatch for mesh smoothess level control.

Ztreem
08-27-2014, 05:34 PM
Another thing with quads, since you can subpatch them hopefully, you can also increase mesh density level in the render subpatch option, so if I got a 3 logo designed in cad with some nice text inset bevels in that logo plate and I need a very large 2 meter rollup display, I think the image would look to edgy if I were to render straight out from a "stiff" imported cad file only, I believe that would have been solved better if the object could be turned in to a subpatch for mesh smoothess level control.

Yes the benefit of having the cad files as sds is of course good, I just wonder if modo cad tools can make that nice quad tesselation so you can make all parts to sds without looosing its original shape. Otherwise you just have to make the mesh dense enough to look good. Thats why I want a new geometry engine in LW because when you have to render and animate meshes with over 30 milion polys LW is really slow.

spherical
08-27-2014, 06:41 PM
nope it doesnīt..and the more I use it ..it feels way to buggy for simple operations, I can for instance use data property and use an arrow to increase or decrease a fillet on the object, in steps, and it donīt auto update live in viewport until I click in viewport
or in the data property window, but if I were to adjust scale...you donīt have that arrow and have to enter values numericly for scaling of x.y,z..this is horrible. tried some creation of splines and extruding it and trying some edge selection and fillet on that, and boom..the whole object is gone.

Well, in that light, LightWave is lookin' pretty good. :) Won't stop all the kvetching but... at least it's something positive.

prometheus
08-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Yes the benefit of having the cad files as sds is of course good, I just wonder if modo cad tools can make that nice quad tesselation so you can make all parts to sds without looosing its original shape. Otherwise you just have to make the mesh dense enough to look good. Thats why I want a new geometry engine in LW because when you have to render and animate meshes with over 30 milion polys LW is really slow.

well..I thought it looked good on the video at least, but havent seen it first hand so to speak.

prometheus
08-27-2014, 09:11 PM
Well, in that light, LightWave is lookin' pretty good. :) Won't stop all the kvetching but... at least it's something positive.

it indeed does for model manipulation, but freecad could be nice if it werenīt for this simple quirks, something like moi or solidworks...and we can do exact fillets and drills without having to worry about inside outside points or other poly restrictions.
Michael