PDA

View Full Version : 3D-Tracker!

jaxtone
08-26-2014, 02:25 PM
A year ago I payed and updated my old Syntheyes license for 32 bit windows systems I never used into a 64 bit version! A few days ago I received an e-mail from Syntheyes that told me to pay and update again since a year have passed. I must say I was surprised by two reasons mainly.

First of all I never had time to this update either since the aftermath from the divorce from hell made my kids unstable and devastated. Secondly I totally missed the fact that there was a yearly cost for updates... awk :(

Now I wonder if there´s a 3D-tracking software that doesn´t need to be updated yearly or maybe a solution or freeware to be used? Or why isn´t a functional 3D-tracker included in my software Lightwave? That would probably have been an ultimate solution for more users than me I guess!

erikals
08-26-2014, 03:35 PM
are you sure, isn't it just asking if you want to upgrade ?
seems strange, as there is no info on that here > http://www.ssontech.com/purchase.htm

you can use the free Blender tracker, though it's not as good as SynthEyes...

toeknee
08-26-2014, 04:38 PM
You know you can also very the match move from auto desk for free. This is pretty good. Its not as up today as Syntheyes but its not lamb ether. Here is the link.
http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2014help-matchmover/index.html

Good luck. If you have Lynda there is training for this tool.

Axis3d
08-26-2014, 05:17 PM
if you already have After Effects, you can use the 3d tracker in there and export the camera and nulls to LW.

erikals
08-26-2014, 06:31 PM
afaik autodesk match move is not very good, hence why ad chose to give it away for free.

i'm quite sure blender is better

after effects is not anything to write home about either, but maybe they improved it in the last revisions ?

m.d.
08-26-2014, 06:59 PM
afaik autodesk match move is not very good, hence why ad chose to give it away for free.

i'm quite sure blender is better

after effects is not anything to write home about either, but maybe they improved it in the last revisions ?

autodesk matchmover is realviz matchmover....which was quite good.
Maya matchmover is utter garbage....similar names, but 2 very different trackers

I have used most of the major trackers, and was on beta for the original syntheyes and a few of the recent features come out of my suggestions, but I have to say....After effects 3d tracking is actually fairly good.

I am debating whether or not to use it over syntheyes in a simple project right now.

It is only good at solving for a camera....much like the mocha 3d tracker, it cannot do real world scale, proper lens values...is a real hassle to orient (use Matthias Mohl's scripts in AE for that) but it can smoothly replicate a workable stable camera path. It may not be a precise mathematical solve...but it usually is smooth and works.

For complicated shots there is no contest, syntheyes or PFtrack. But if it's a simple automatic jitter free solution....AE is totally workable...it may not be the true camera path, but it should integrate most 3d objects in.

Speed wise, nothing compares to syntheyes

jaxtone
08-26-2014, 11:18 PM
I might have misunderstood the whole message from Russ at Syntheye´s, maybe he just meant that the software will keep on running but the support or upgrades won´t be available any longer. Strange that I can´t remember this paragraph from the purchase?

Well anyway, since I run Adobe Cloud that up till now has been one of the greatest offers ever I might even try After Effect´s solution for small projects where time is more important than exact coordinates. But if my latest version of Syntheyes still works I will use that for more detailed projects until I get an incoming job that gives me a chance to upgrade!

When talking about the Autodesk Matchmover that has it´s origin in Realviz I recall a memory of this being one of the greatest about 1½ decade from present time. If Maya´s matchmover is the same that came with the package around the Millenium I guess it work pretty good to match 3D objects in real world photage since a fellow collegue from the past made some really impressive scenes with both 3D and film. But that was years ago and I guess most softwares have improved since then.

erikals
08-27-2014, 02:00 AM
I might have misunderstood the whole message from Russ at Syntheye´s, maybe he just meant that the software will keep on running but the support or upgrades won´t be available any longer. Strange that I can´t remember this paragraph from the purchase?

i would just mail them...

----------------

Autodesk Matchmover, i read it was not all that, some research might be in order...

Greenlaw
08-27-2014, 06:44 AM
I use Syntheyes and just upgraded/renewed. You're essentially paying a support plan--for a year, you get updates with new features and bug-fixes, plus tech support. Unlike Adobe's Cloud, you will not lose the ability to use the software after the plan expires.

I believe you can always pick up a renewal past the expiration date but the cost is discounted if you do it before the renewal date.

G.

Carlo_Jongen
08-27-2014, 07:04 AM
The next software looks good and affordable if your looking for an alternative:
http://www.thepixelfarm.co.uk/products/PFMatchit

Freelance Lightwave Animation at www.c3d.be

Greenlaw
08-27-2014, 07:05 AM
Alternatively, I use the 3D camera tracker in After Effects. It works surprisingly well and can send camera data and selected tracking nulls directly to Lightwave. If I'm already working in AE, I often try the AE 3D camera tracker first--if that doesn't doesn't get me the result I want, then I switch over to Syntheyes.

Another option in AE is Mocha Lite, which is a planar tracker. The native 'lite' version is for working in AE only but if you get the upgrade to Mocha Plus, you also get 3D functionality, which I think is compatible with Lightwave. I don't have the upgrade so I'm not 100% sure about that. (Rats, I just realized I missed the sale last month. Still, $195 is not bad a bad price.)

PF Track used to have a consumer version but they dropped that product a few years ago. Their current entry level version is called Match It, which is a bit more costly but it's more fully featured too. I haven't used PF Track but one of the artists I work with swears by the full production version.

IMO, you can't have too many camera tracking options--they all work differently, and some work much better than others in different situations. There was a job I did last year where I needed to add a lot of ground snow to scenes that were shot outdoors in the L.A. during the summer--Mocha Lite in AE came through beautifully for most of the shots, but at least two shots worked out much better using Syntheyes. It's interesting to note that some of the snow shots I did using Mocha Lite actually worked better than Syntheyes because of the way it distorted the snow elements to fit the perspective.*

Doesn't Blender have tracking? I haven't used it...just putting the question out there.

G.

*Note: I know Syntheyes recently added planar tracking. I haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure how this new feature compares with Mocha.