PDA

View Full Version : Material nodes, nodes and hypervoxels

inakito
08-26-2014, 10:06 AM
Does anyone know if it is possible to use nodes with hypervoxels?
I wanted to use simple skin over two nulls with hypervoxels each but cant figure a way out...
Thanks

Slartibartfast
08-26-2014, 11:15 AM
you can chose hypertexture: node editor, if that's what you mean.

prometheus
08-27-2014, 04:26 AM
I donīt think that is possible, what slartibartfast is talking about is the actual hypertexture wich isnīt the same as shading, that can be acessed with choosing a hypertexture procedural called node editor.
in hypervoxels shading tab there is no node editor as with standard material, you can click on the color texture channel and add a procedural layer called node editor, and you can access simple skin, but it wasnīt made for that and
I donīt think it will work, since simple skin is a material and you donīt have a material input in to that color channel node, so you will get an error saying incompatible connection.

you can work with some other node stuff in this color channel, to expand on ways of using nodes in color channel ..but you have to keep in mind that the opened channel is specific to what it does..namely color, or transparency
so itīs not the same as the universal node editor in standard surface layer, thus it only has a color input and alpha..or if you open transparency you only got that.

expanding on the ways of tweaking hypertexures shape with nodes in volume,sprite and even in surface mode is something different but doable.
So I am afraid thereīs no way of getting simple skin shader to hypervoxels surfadce, same goes with the other materials like dielectic etc.

Sensei
08-27-2014, 05:30 AM
Skin material is using ray-tracing functions which are missing in procedural textures.
So even if you could add procedural texture Node Editor, such material won't work, because traditional layer shading system is obsolete.

inakito
08-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Ok, thanks. I just wanted to try having to nulls with hypervoxels applied to them in surface mode and having the chance to apply simple skin to them and see how do they react when blending... It seems not doable.

prometheus
08-28-2014, 10:59 AM
Ok, thanks. I just wanted to try having to nulls with hypervoxels applied to them in surface mode and having the chance to apply simple skin to them and see how do they react when blending... It seems not doable.

Nope ...not with hypervoxels surfacing.
something similar can be done with geometry, you could simply use two objects and morph them if you tweak them good, another option is to actually use geometry metaballs, rarely ..selldom used feature but I think something similar can be animated that way with geometry and simple skin.

draw some metaballs in modeler in smooth mode display, have one viewport in wireframe display and create a new morph and move points around, save the object and send to layout and go to morph mixer
and control the amount of morph there, but for metaballs to work in layout, set subdivision to last, or after morphing.
This way you can have similar blend in between blobs like hypervoxels, not as smooth as hypervoxels though, depends on..you have to set a very high display metaball resolution under the deform tab or for rendering..the
render metaball resolution.

prometheus
08-28-2014, 11:34 AM
You can also add additional deformation on those metaballs with procedural textures.

prometheus
08-28-2014, 05:06 PM
Heres a metaball setup with morph and simple skin, just a simple test..play the timeline also.
not as smooth surface as hypervoxels though.

Michael

erikals
08-28-2014, 07:55 PM
nice Prometheus,

it might also be possible to make some adjustments in post to make the Hypervoxels look more sss-like,
by for example using an rgb pass, or normal pass...

http://limjeff.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/aburn_rgb.gif

more info on that > http://lightwiki.com/wiki/Multipass_Rendering_with_Filter_Node_Editors

inakito
08-29-2014, 03:45 AM
Very good work around Prometheus!
I think it does the job for simple animations or even for rendering still frames.
In case more complex animations need to be done then would be tricky ;)
Anyway your solutions is great and sorts a big part of the problem out as well as bringing in
the forgiven and sometimes in disused metaballs :)
Big thanks!

erikals
08-29-2014, 05:58 AM
just a note, Ogo Hikari can add SubSurface Scattering to Hypervoxels, but it cost $30 and only works in 32bit for PC...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzq2KqUK4iw

so for now, definitely stay with Prometheus' solution... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif