PDA

View Full Version : Licensing Issue

Tim Grace
08-24-2014, 07:30 AM
I have just upgraded my OS to windows 7 64 bit from 32 bit. When I drag the license file into the splash screen, I close down the program and the open up layout. Layout is working properly. I open up modeler and it is still in discovery mode. I initially set up the program without my dongle attached as stated in installation procedures. When I attached the dongle there was a problem (minor one) in finding the drivers. I then manually downloaded the drivers and installed them. Still wouldn't recognize the dongle. I then unistalled the program and then installed it with the dongle attached (truthfully I always had the dongle attached anytime I upgraded lightwave and had no issues). Dragged the licence file into the splash screen, and still the same issue, layout loads properly while modeler loads in discovery mode. Any ideas? THe second time that I installed, the dongle was being recongnized

Through various updates and other unknown issues, my problem seemed to right itself. Modeler is opening properly.

ncr100
08-24-2014, 02:31 PM
Is this LW 11.6.3 ?

spherical
08-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Windows 7, and increasingly, 8 have more locked down permissions as to what/who can write where. It helps to set the LW executables to Run As Administrator in the file properties compatibility tab. Also solves a lot of issues if LW is not installed the the default location of /Program Files or /Program Files (x86). Sidestep the perms issue with those locations by creating a pair of x64 and x86 application directory trees elsewhere, best on another drive, and install into them instead. The %SystemDrive% fills up fast enough, without loading every application onto it, too. Some installers don't give you the choice and Windows continually gobbles space all on its own.

Glad you got it sorted. Sometimes, it seems as if the OS just wants to make sure that you really mean it.