PDA

View Full Version : Can I just say how much I haye the _v001 object versions?!?!

starbase1
08-24-2014, 03:30 AM
And is there way to turn it off?

I think I lose more time to this than anything else - not noticing that LW has decided to rename the file I am saving as.
It is not saved to the stack of recent files so I come back, go to recent files, and end up with an out of date version that probably contains enough of the recent session to fool me.

Or I load up ;layout, and set off a long series of renders of the wrong model.

Is it asking too much that it:

a) Adds the new version to the file history?
b) Gives a prominent warning about what it has done?

Greenlaw
08-24-2014, 10:07 AM
It really shouldn't do that on its own; normally you need to select Incremental Save. In Modeler, I think this happens when you use Shift S. Maybe you're accidentally pressing this key combo?

It's similar in Layout, where you activate Incremental Scene Save with Shift S. In my case, this gets annoying after I've updated Layout or decided to re-build my configs because I normally remap Shift S for Save Current Object, and I never use Incremental Save (I prefer Save As and use my own renaming, but also rely on scene Auto Save which saves a copy of the files in a Backup folder.) If I get careless during prelight and forget to remap my keys, I wind up with a bunch of extra Layout scenes that I don't need and no revisions for my object. D'oh! :)

G.

Greenlaw
08-24-2014, 10:11 AM
This might not be the case but also check for any third party auto save plug-ins. I seem to recall there was one that did incremental auto saves.

Kryslin
08-24-2014, 11:25 AM
I'd second the push latest incremental save to the recent files stack request. It can be a PITA, having to go in and dig out the latest increment... especially when you run 7-8 of them in a session.

Greenlaw
08-24-2014, 01:34 PM
The workflow I'm used to is to place objects that are being edited in a 'work' directory and keep only the 'final' version of the object outside of that directory. After editing is completed on an object, it's saved as a revision in the 'work' directory and then saved again over the 'final' version outside of the 'work' directory. This way, any scenes in production that use the 'final' object will always have the latest version for rendering.

Of course if you're working with a team of artists, it's considerate to let others know when you're updating the 'final'.

G,

ernpchan
08-24-2014, 02:38 PM
I echo Greenlaw's workflow. Never use a version or working file in Layout. At the places I've worked at we refer to the non-version file as the "published" file.

I've made scripts that let the user automatically "publish" the file when they're working on a version to help with the daily workflow.

I don't use LigjtWave's native save incremented as I don't like the "v" in the filename string. I'll see if the save incrementer that I've made via scripting automatically puts the file in "recent files" menu. If it does, then using a custom script may be the way to go.

Greenlaw
08-24-2014, 06:40 PM
I don't use LigjtWave's native save incremented as I don't like the "v" in the filename string.
That's funny because I feel exactly the same. I think the naming convention really should be defined by the user, and not hardcoded.

G.

jwiede
08-24-2014, 07:07 PM
I think the naming convention really should be defined by the user, and not hardcoded.

Yep, agree 100%. This kind of file mgmt. functionality needs to be part of a larger discussion that includes how auto-saves of scenes and objects work, how packaging / publishing work, version control, and so forth. As a good starting-point reference look at how a pro text editor like Slickedit manages backups, auto-saves, history, version control, etc. and the prefs they offer users to control such features. LW's needs are actually quite similar in most ways.

Everything from how many digits of increment are used, to separators, etc. should all be defined in a user-adjustable "format string". Even the "note in recent files" aspect should be switchable by pref, as should offering an "update 'published' version" option that writes using different format string to another user-selected (potentially relative-specified) directory. There should also be an option for how many old incremental versions are kept, whether ones past that limit are deleted, put somewhere, or who knows. Auto-saves require similar controls at both object and scene level, and so forth. It sounds like a lot, but it's not really. It is mostly about parameterizing functionality that already exists, and exposing those parameters to users.

ernpchan
08-24-2014, 07:11 PM
That's funny because I feel exactly the same. I think the naming convention really should be defined by the user, and not hardcoded.

G.

I agree. Because it's hardcoded I choose the scripting route. There are a handful of native tools that I've pretty much rewritten to suite how I want to work. I strongly encourage others to get into scripting.

lightscape
08-24-2014, 08:16 PM
I echo Greenlaw's workflow. Never use a version or working file in Layout.

Agree this is a big mistake to do in any app. All appz save as something like 01,02 for versioning. You don't want to use that in a scene.
After updating a file you should immediately save it as the final file. In the case of a character where it could be Willy_21.max, after editing save it to Willy.max.

starbase1
08-25-2014, 11:32 AM
I've never turned on incremental saving, it just seems to happen anyway - though only apparently when I have modeller and layout both running...