PDA

View Full Version : pls tell me about Fprime (worley)

rednova
08-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Dear Friends:

I have two plugins by Worley: sasquatch and g2 (for hair and skin).
I am very happy with them, and they work and do what I need (on lw 9.6)
I would like to know more about Fprime.
Is it good, what does it do, and worth getting for use with lw 9.6 ?
Pls tell me about Fprime !!!

Markc
08-23-2014, 03:30 PM
Fprime is a Preview Renderer, out eons before VPR, possibly even the very first preview renderer in any 3d package.
Unlike VPR, Fprime constantly refines the render and you can save an image at any time.
Very fast and very good.

However (on a Mac) it is not supported beyond 9.6, and I'm not even sure if you can still buy it from Worley.
Once I had it, I couldn't live without it (until it was dropped on mac).

I would still prefer it today to VPR if it worked.

Phil
08-23-2014, 03:46 PM
You can still buy the plugins from Worley. In the small print on the order page, it's very specific about the versions of LW, and platforms, on which they work.

If you're going to stick with 9.6, and you're on Windows, FPrime is probably a reasonable idea, although it's not cheap even now. There are some things it cannot do (which are noted on the site) and some things that will cause it to make Layout crash for you (e.g. 3rd party lights, cameras). The primary advantage is distributed progressive rendering (via WSN which is Windows-only). This is something that LW with VPR now a couple of generations old (10.0 - 11.x) cannot do. Being able to just let an animation refine, or to interrupt and resume renderings at will is wonderfully liberating, assuming you don't need some of the unsupported features.

jasonwestmas
08-23-2014, 11:33 PM
Fprime 3 works pretty well in LW 10 and below. I wouldn't advise using it in LW 11+, though it basically works. Just be aware that fprime doesn't render fibers and certain special FX. Fprime can render a lot of subD ((Display) polygons but not as many as Lightwave's render time subdivision can.