PDA

View Full Version : Nodal motion world position problem

Slartibartfast
08-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Hi,

Why can't I read the world position from the input node in nodal motion or nodal displacement? It's always [0,0,0] it seems. When doing it with surface textures it outputs the world coords.

Try this in layout:
- make default 1m sphere. Place it at Y=-0,5
- edit displacement node: connect world position to displacement. This SHOULD scale the ball in all directions from world origin, but instead it scales from object origin.

OR try this in motion options/ nodal motion:

- add an object at X=1
- add a child to that object and move it to X=1m (1m to the right of it's parent).
- on the child: connect world position to position. In my mind this should move the child to world X=3. But it just moves it to it's parent's pivot.

What am I not getting?

Thanks

Slartibartfast
08-24-2014, 08:23 AM
Ok, I did some experimentation and watched RHLW tuts about vectors.
It seems the input nodes' "object position" and "world position" both delivers the same as spot info "object spot", ie object local coordinates. Which ofc is always [0,0,0] for the pivot point.
If this is the case I think it is misleading naming though. Why have a "WORLD position" that don't deliver just that?!

probiner
08-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Not worse than this naming: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?142447-World-Right-Up-Forward-i-broken!-suggestions&p=1396011&viewfull=1#post1396011 :D

Slartibartfast
08-24-2014, 09:47 AM
Not worse than this naming: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?142447-World-Right-Up-Forward-i-broken!-suggestions&p=1396011&viewfull=1#post1396011 :D

Yeah, I read that :). I'm not there yet though...
Naming conventions aside, now I tried to make a child object stick to ground whilst it's parent is spinning around. The weird thing is that when I probe an output in my nodal network , and replace that with a scalar constant of the same value I get a completely different result! I'm going nuts on this.