PDA

View Full Version : GRAVITY - Exclusive Alternate Scene

erikals
08-22-2014, 05:23 AM
(Redefines Entire Movie)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw79smKZB9E

art
08-22-2014, 06:20 AM
I've been scratching my head after watching the movie, but now it's all clear.

probiner
08-22-2014, 06:46 AM
Too funny! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5KQQWlIgGc

probiner
08-22-2014, 07:38 AM
Ups.. Double post.

gerry_g
08-22-2014, 08:13 AM
says more about the Zeitgeist of the current generation than anything else, clearly the original movie was deeply troubling for them as the she saved herself which is totally unrealistic not to mention bordering on the improbable, only people with super powers can save us without them we are all doomed, Marvel has a lot to as were for

erikals
08-22-2014, 09:11 AM
Too funny! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5KQQWlIgGc

Hah! Loved it...! :]

MAUROCOR
08-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Very funny!!!!;)

Davewriter
08-22-2014, 07:31 PM
says more about the Zeitgeist of the current generation than anything else, clearly the original movie was deeply troubling for them as the she saved herself which is totally unrealistic not to mention bordering on the improbable, only people with super powers can save us without them we are all doomed, Marvel has a lot to as were for

Yep. If you want some real fun, hang out with some NASA folks and just drop "Gravity" into conversation. It ain't pretty.

shrox
08-22-2014, 07:54 PM
I rarely LOL, but on this I did LOL...

spherical
08-22-2014, 08:30 PM
Really!

Pretty, but so wrong in so many ways. The MMU doesn't maneuver like that. I've flown the simulator at JSC and docked with Solar Max. Takes patience and an understanding of thrust vectors. You take your best guess, orient the thrusters in the direction that you think may work to counter or modify the vector you are on, fire a burst and wait. Evaluate and repeat if necessary; which it always is until you are about to grapple. They have it arcing around as if it had wings with control surfaces.

Don't even get me started on the orbits of Hubble, ISS and Tiangong-1. Well, ok, I'm started.... Suffice it to say that you can't just "drive over there"; especially from Hubble. Changing orbit radius is a complex deal. Rendezvous, even more so. Going from Hubble to ISS, you'd slow down and wait a number of orbits for the radius to lessen. Running the calculations for dropping 90 miles and also attempting to change orbit inclination from 28.5 to 51.6, and arrive at the correct time for rendezvous, can't be done in your head; nor will it take place in less than a couple of days.

The two stations, however, are at roughly the same orbit radius but also on different inclinations. Therefore, they are never near each other.

When the two astronauts were at the end of the long cable dangling aft of ISS, they would have stopped and most likely have sprung back; not be continually, inexorably dragged by some force threatening to drag them off if they let go. Once at the end of the line, they have the same angular momentum as the station. They're in orbit, just like it is.

That's enough. I gotta get back to work.

BTW, I've temporarily changed my avatar for this occasion. That's a flight MMU behind me.

safetyman
08-23-2014, 10:13 AM
What also made me think, was why didn't the debris destroy ISS or the Chinese station on the first go 'round? It seemed like it kinda waited until they got to the stations before it decided to attack.

shrox
08-23-2014, 10:39 AM
What also made me think, was why didn't the debris destroy ISS or the Chinese station on the first go 'round? It seemed like it kinda waited until they got to the stations before it decided to attack.

2 hours of a corpse in a spacesuit would have been rather dull.

Cageman
08-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Hahahahaha!!!! :D ******* A!!! :)

safetyman
08-25-2014, 07:59 AM
2 hours of a corpse in a spacesuit would have been rather dull.

Good one. Chalk it up to the 'ol "Artistic License".