PDA

View Full Version : .obj import is stacking uv's into ONE Texture Map

miguel446
11-25-2003, 03:52 PM
All of my wonderful UV's (50 or so) are being placedinto one UV map named OBJ_UVTextureMap. They seem to be holding dimensional integrity but what a pain to have to sort out what maps belong and what maps don't.

Is this the way Lightwave is supposed to be handling this issue?

Michael

mkiii
11-25-2003, 04:38 PM
The same thing happens when you import a UV mapped .3ds object. Whether it's meant to do it - I don't know.

The seemingly jumbled mess is easy enough to sort out by selecting polygons by surface, (although 50 UV maps for one object does seem a bit excessive!), and with the uv map displayed, using copy UVs to make a newUV map for each surface in turn. You *do* have to remember to leave the polys selected, and go back to the original to remove them from that map.

Then you will need to edit the surface in question to tell it which map to use.

You can probably save yourself this pain by either just living with it, and using poly selection to, hiding, or copying to separate layers, or, converting the .obj file with an app such as Deep Exploration.

What sort of object are we talking about her BTW? Even on a quite complex aircraft model, with lots of detailed textures, I will probably only use 3 or 4 UV maps.

miguel446
11-25-2003, 11:55 PM
Yep! I agree these UV's do seem a bit excessive. These are game characters generated by an Asian studio in Maya. *Hopefully* my new version of Maya will be here next week and I can sidestep all of this. But for now, I have to engage the project with full vigor, assuming that this is my only alternative. Perhaps I exagerated with the number 50. However, the character I am sorting out right now does have 37 seperate UV coordinates. I'm starting to think some of these are generated arbitrarily by Maya. I seem to remember that ALL nurbs objects get UVs by default. The trick is to figure out which surfaces use them for actual mapping and which are just projection mapped.

Whew, what a lot of work!

Thanks for your input.

Michael

mkiii
11-26-2003, 05:57 AM
Ahhh....
Now I understand... Outsourcing is the bane of all games artists. I was asked to acquire some outsourced material for a recent game - I saved all the time, effort & frustration by making the thing myself.

good luck :)

WCameron
11-26-2003, 06:33 AM
copy it off your OS CD. that's worked for me in the past.

- Will.

miguel446
11-26-2003, 09:37 AM
What am I copying off my OS cd? I'm confused.

WCameron
11-26-2003, 11:58 AM
ok thats unfortunately NOT the weirdest thing thats happened to me today... this was a reply to the Accidentally Deleted NTLDR thread - which I was 'in' when I replied....

I think I'll stay in and sleep the rest of the night. god knows what's going to happen next.

- Will.