PDA

View Full Version : mocap library

rednova
08-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Dear Friends:

I read with interest about using mocap and lightwave.
I was reading an old inside lightwave 3d book by Dan ABlan, yesterday, and it had a special chapter on using mocap.
I learned from it, that is possible to get a library of mocap files, to use into lightwave, without directly using the mocap
technology.
Can you suggest where to get a library of mocap files I can use into lw 9.6 ?
Please help me !!!

prometheus
08-21-2014, 05:50 PM
hereīs a huge library, mainly for daz studio figures, so it will probably have a lotīs of issues if you try to assign on lightwave rigs with genoma etc, you need to understand the bvh format and rigs etc and how that works, and get some retarded?? :) plugins like (sorry retargeting I think it is called)
neuron motion, or use a free plugin over at liberty 3d just recently released, or use motionbuilder for example.

you could if you want to use daz figures and load the bvh files on to them, itīs all free, but not all will work directly with daz either, depends on if it is Michael series or applied on genesis figures etc.
https://sites.google.com/a/cgspeed.com/cgspeed/motion-capture/daz-friendly-release

Davewriter
08-21-2014, 08:34 PM
There is also this
http://mocap.cs.cmu.edu/
I comes with all forms of caveats. Who was doing what on what day, using what software and if they knew what the were doing.
But hey, they're free and give you something to tinker with.

rednova
08-22-2014, 04:52 PM
Hi:
Instead of using daz, I rather stick to using lightwave.
Thank you !!!

Ryan Roye
08-22-2014, 07:33 PM
The quality of the DAZ conversions are quite bad, utilize the archive labeled "motion builder friendly" instead, and you can load the mocap files into Lightwave regardless. You can use my retargeter (free) (http://www.liberty3d.com/citizens/ryan-roye/ryan-royes-free-plugins/) to adapt motions from one rig to another. Currently, you will need to remove ik from your rig or use FK/IK blending to use the retargeter as the plugin is still under development.

prometheus
08-23-2014, 07:48 AM
The quality of the DAZ conversions are quite bad, utilize the archive labeled "motion builder friendly" instead, and you can load the mocap files into Lightwave regardless. You can use my retargeter (free) (http://www.liberty3d.com/citizens/ryan-roye/ryan-royes-free-plugins/) to adapt motions from one rig to another. Currently, you will need to remove ik from your rig or use FK/IK blending to use the retargeter as the plugin is still under development.

Chazriker ...thanks for the heads up on the daz conversion and guiding to the motion builder friendly instead, have yet to download and test your retargeter still...so many other things to do right now, keep up your good work chaz:thumbsup:

vonpietro
04-27-2015, 11:21 PM
so
how would i basically get http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/girl-1-7444.html this gal mocapped?

1) genoma rig her
2) find a mocap file (simple straight walk cycle for about 200 frames)
3) ?
4) ?
ect

Its funny - i worked with mocap for about 2years but i never knew how they got it into lw - aside from using motion builder to massage the mocap data and get it ready.
i dont have motion builder or any other mocap specific program.
=(

Greenlaw
04-28-2015, 12:12 AM
I use Motion Builder to get my mocap into Lightwave--the process is straight forward thanks to FBX. Here's the typical workflow:

1. Rig a character in Lightwave following the 'standard' mocap rigging hierarchy. Export an FBX.
2. Import the FBX to MB and characterize the rig.
3. Import a BVH to MB and characterize it.
4. Set the rig to be be controlled by the BVH; bake the motion data to the target's control rig and and edit it as you please.
5. Bake the edited data down to the original skeleton from Lightwave and export an FBX.
6. In Lightwave, open your original textured and rigged character.
7. Use Load Items from Scene, select the FBX, and enabled Merge Only Motion Envelopes. This transfers the motion data to your textured and rigged character.

Now your character is ready for lighting and rendering. There are a few small details to watch out for, (like you can only have a single 'Take' in the FBX or Lightwave will ignore the motion data,) but that's essentially it.

The steps above can be adapted to other retargeting/editing systems, like the online web service Ikinema Webanimate. I haven't used Webanimate but it's probably a lot cheaper than buying a license of MB. Basically, it's free to use until you're ready to download your edited FBX.

There are at least three Lightwave-native retargeting systems I'm aware of that kinda follow the general idea described above with some variations. They are RHiggit, IKBooster, and Nevron Motion. There are whole threads in these forums dedicated to each workflow--a quick search will turn them up.

G.

Greenlaw
04-28-2015, 12:26 AM
BTW, it's a bit messier if you're using 9.6. I think you may need to use the old Autodesk FBX plugin, and there are a few tricks you need to do to compensate for the different rotation order.

If you're serious about using mocap in Lightwave, I suggest using version 10 or higher (the latest version, 2015.2, is the best). That's when significant improvements were made to Lightwave's FBX format.

G.

vonpietro
04-28-2015, 12:41 AM
i've got 11.6.3 not enough moola to get 2015 yet.

=)

dont have nevron or motion builder - so i guess i can try ikbooster.

http://www.autodesk.com/products/motionbuilder/free-trial?mktvar002=612806&src=OMSE&gclid=CjwKEAjwvPepBRCoqo37teOD1XsSJAC7v6WQwRt0BBdQ PXO-RLyAjO-jktXE0E0fRD4H49kshUU5cxoC9Fnw_wcB
well it's good for 30 days =0

awwww man its subscription based - I hate subscription based!

i'd have to grab all the free mocap data - and work hard for 30 days to convert it all into useable lightwave data =)

is newtek ever going to include some generic walk cycles?
i thin i saw one in the content dir one time, but i still had no idea how to apply it to a character.

Greenlaw
04-28-2015, 01:00 AM
Hi,

Oh, I only mentioned that because the OP said he was using 9.6. FWIW, 'Happy Box' was all done in 10.x and I also did quite a lot of freelance mocap stuff using 11.6.3 too.

For IK Booster training, be sure to check out Chazriker's course available from Liberty3D.

You might want to check out Ikinema Webanimate. I haven't used it myself but it's supposed to be a good inexpensive alternative for MB.

And of course RHiggit Pro is an inexpensive rigging/mocap retargeting solution too and it works inside Lightwave. I haven't used it for any of our short films yet but plan to give it a shot on our next short film project.

G.

vonpietro
04-28-2015, 01:10 AM
nice

looks like it's 160 pounds for the mocap one of RHriggit.
just how much is motion builder the auto desk site was useless and i could not figure out how much they wanted for it.

man - whats with these websites being shy on telling what their products cost.
i went to ikinema and pricing page has nothing on it. wow.

Greenlaw
04-28-2015, 01:23 AM
Yeah, I don't think Autodesk is really interested in selling MB as a separate product. I don't recall the current price for MB but if you're gong to pay what they're asking, you may as well get one of the software suites that includes it.

I'm using a pretty old version of MB (2011 I think). I just can't bring myself to upgrade it because as far as I can tell, except for a new look, the program really hasn't been improved very much for many years. As mentioned above, I'm thinking of switching to a different workflow later this year but I haven't decided which one yet. A while back iPi Soft mentioned that they may be adding more editing tools in their mocap software (which is what we use for the Brudders films,) so that's another possibility. Keeping things open for now.

G.

Greenlaw
04-28-2015, 01:34 AM
iClone with 3DXchange is another possible mocap solution for Lightwave. I haven't used this software but it has an 'MB-like' retargeting and editing system that works with FBX. You need the optional 3DXchange software to get data in and out of iClone. I own an earlier version of their production suite (version 5, I think,) but never got around to trying it out with Lightwave. Maybe I'll finally try it out after we finish our current film.

The workflow we have in place at the moment (iPi-MB-LW) works well for our current production so I'm sticking with it for now.

G.

vonpietro
04-28-2015, 02:09 AM
3d artist had iclone for free with its magazine - i couldn't believe it $900 program with a 15 magazine.
but when i tried to get it- it said it expired. =(

so is there no way to get mocap into lightwave without buying a third party program?

is this something newtek will address in future versions of lightwave?

Greenlaw
04-28-2015, 02:29 AM
I just looked at the price for Ikinema Webanimate (it's listed when you click Sign Up.) They've gone subscription but the price isn't so bad: $30 a month or $180 for a whole year.

I don't know if you can suspend and reactivate at will like you can Digital Tutors or Lynda. I read somewhere that Adobe doesn't allow you to do that with CC without paying a penalty fee, so it might be worth asking about the terms.

I think I will try probably it out somewhere down the road. If anybody here has used it, please post your experience.

G.

RebelHill
04-28-2015, 06:02 AM
is there no way to get mocap into lightwave without buying a third party program?

is this something newtek will address in future versions of lightwave?

Getting mocap in is straightforward enough... just open up a bvh or fbx file. Retargeting it to a different character though is something else which you will need some other tool for. I'd very much doubt that you're going to see anything bundled in with LW itself anytime soon.

Greenlaw
04-28-2015, 10:00 AM
If you're interested in the iClone suite, keep an eye out for sales. I think they have one at least once a year. We got our license with 3DXchange plus a bunch of other stuff for around $500.

I can't guarantee how well it works with Lightwave though--been too busy to even run the program.

G.