PDA

View Full Version : RR Tools Pro/free video demo

Ryan Roye
08-19-2014, 02:50 PM
Introducing affordable new rigging and animation tools that will significantly boost your layout-editing workflow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vVcstEAWVI

Check out RR_Tools_Pro at Liberty3d.com (http://www.liberty3d.com/citizens/ryan-roye/ryan-royes-commercial-plugins/)

ernpchan
08-19-2014, 03:05 PM
Wow, you've been a busy bee!

The Grabber one definitely looks useful.

OnlineRender
08-19-2014, 03:41 PM
congrats ! , great price!

erikals
08-19-2014, 05:29 PM
http://forums.newtek.com/images/misc/quote_icon.pngernpchan
The Grabber one definitely looks useful.

absolutely... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/bowdown.gif

djwaterman
08-19-2014, 10:47 PM
Sort of stopped doing C.A. a while back, but there's a lot here that would work for motion graphics.

jeric_synergy
08-19-2014, 10:49 PM
Dude, it's CHEAP. Get it.

jeric_synergy
08-20-2014, 12:04 AM
Introducing affordable new rigging and animation tools that will significantly boost your layout-editing workflow:
Even though I'm not a character animator, I think I'll be purchasing this in the next day or so.

Chazriker, a question: I see you have a specialized plugin for adding Relativity to multiple items. How difficult would it be to generalize that plugin to add ANY Motion Modifier to all selected items?

Ryan Roye
08-20-2014, 06:27 AM
Chazriker, a question: I see you have a specialized plugin for adding Relativity to multiple items. How difficult would it be to generalize that plugin to add ANY Motion Modifier to all selected items?

I'd have to make a UI plugin that lets the user pick the motion modifier that they'd like to mass-apply, basically. I'm thinking it'd only make sense however if the particular motion modifier has no parameters, or if they have any bulk management features like Relativity (where the UI lets you apply changes to entire chains of bones or items).

Dude, it's CHEAP. Get it.

Heh, plus, if people buy the plugin during a sale, it can be even cheaper! You gotta sign up for the L3D newsletter to get access to all of the sales though :)

mataori
08-20-2014, 09:07 AM
Though you say Lightwave 11.6.3 or higher is required in L3D, tools won't work in 11.6.2?
cause we can get only 11.6.2 of Japanese version.

Ryan Roye
08-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Though you say Lightwave 11.6.3 or higher is required in L3D, tools won't work in 11.6.2?
cause we can get only 11.6.2 of Japanese version.

That's an error on my part. I realized that the assign tools library was included in 11.6+ as I noticed it mentioned in the Lightwave addendum manual (which are used as commands in the RR_Tools scripts), that version is the minimum needed to use these tools.

jeric_synergy
08-20-2014, 10:36 AM
I'd have to make a UI plugin that lets the user pick the motion modifier that they'd like to mass-apply, basically. I'm thinking it'd only make sense however if the particular motion modifier has no parameters, or if they have any bulk management features like Relativity (where the UI lets you apply changes to entire chains of bones or items).
No matter what, it would save a very annoying bit of labor.

Related is my fervent desire to be able to apply the channel modifier "Static_Channel" to all channels of a given item. I'm told this is not possible (damn you, rubbish API!!!11!), but I'd like to hear your take on it.

Heh, plus, if people buy the plugin during a sale, it can be even cheaper! You gotta sign up for the L3D newsletter to get access to all of the sales though :)

I'm a subscriber, I'll have to check, even though it's an absolute STERLING bargain at the normal price. Thank You X5!

Ryan Roye
08-20-2014, 10:59 AM
I'm told this is not possible (damn you, rubbish API!!!11!), but I'd like to hear your take on it.

At least from what I read in the python SDK it should be possible to add channel modifiers in the graph editor to any desired channel. The issue is that it's either hard or impossible to do anything with them because changing parameters within a channel modifier is problematic. It is something I'd like to see changed in the future as this limitation is one of the reasons why people can't construct auto-setup tools that involve Lightwave's built-in envelopes (Example: You want morph mixer's channels to be attached and assigned to a set of nulls on a character rig using specific parameters).

wesleycorgi
08-20-2014, 11:06 AM
It's good to see Python tools showing up. I'm curious, how hard was it for you to create these tools?

Ryan Roye
08-20-2014, 12:09 PM
It's good to see Python tools showing up. I'm curious, how hard was it for you to create these tools?

Python is much easier to work with than lscript in my opinion. There are countless functions that python has built in that lscript would require workarounds or extra coding to accomplish in addition to having access to open source libraries that can be utilized for Lightwave code. Of course, Python in Lightwave has a lot more SDK access than lscript as well.

I will be honest in saying that while the Python side of things is very well documented, the LW SDK Python docs leave a lot to be desired and a lot of my learning was the result of the following:

1) Asking people for help and receiving advice from experts i've worked with.

2) Free online resources like justaddmilk.org and the lightwave python wiki. These were absolutely vital to my learning process.

3) Dissecting existing open source python scripts to figure out how things work (IE: How does this script select and examine what the user has selected? How does this script figure out what the rest pivot rotation is? Are the patterns consistent with the info shown in the LWSDK docs? etc. etc. etc.)

4) Lightwave built in Python SDK docs. While I appreciate the effort on the LW3DG's part, I feel it could be done a lot better. It needs to reference and explain the very most common functions aspiring developers are likely going to want to do and also teach people how to actually read and utilize the documentation. Currently, a LOT is assumed of the reader in the current iteration of the LWSDK docs.

calilifestyle
08-20-2014, 12:21 PM
Great work man.

wesleycorgi
08-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the input! For LW to grow, they need active developers like you.

Ryan Roye
08-20-2014, 04:30 PM
A post elsewhere on these forums inspired this quick tip video in regards to translate average. Just because it's called "translate average" doesn't mean you have to use the average position of the points as the pivot... you can set that pivot anywhere when you combine this tool with RR_BonePin. Here's how to make it happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0lw-CtjPHA&feature=youtu.be

jeric_synergy
08-20-2014, 05:05 PM
At least from what I read in the python SDK it should be possible to add channel modifiers in the graph editor to any desired channel. The issue is that it's either hard or impossible to do anything with them because changing parameters within a channel modifier is problematic.
For my particular wish, I only want to implement a 'static ALL channels' functionality. As I understand, the current static_channel plugin takes any keyframes and moves them to frame zero, and deletes all others. As keyframes are generated in any fashion, they replace the keyframe zero keys.

Static_channel can be added manually to every channel of an item, but that's precisely what I'm wanting to avoid.

Basically, it makes items in LW act more like items in AE, where you have to specifically 'click the stopwatch' to make any channel animate. For inert items this is preferable, esp. if one habitually uses Auto-Keyframe.

tonyrizo2003
08-21-2014, 07:35 AM
Those look great Ryan!! Something for my wish list for sure!!

Ryan Roye
08-25-2014, 10:13 PM
New tool included with the RR_Tools pro set: SwitchBaker. Key features:

- Bakes match goal orientation.

- No dialogues; designed for the fastest animation workflow possible. Run it twice, and it keys all the frames between the two playhead positions you executed the script on any selected items. No hassle no fuss.

- Channel-specific operations can be defined by the native Lightwave create key dialogue (IE: you only want to bake Y frames? No problem.)

- Optimizes the scene temporarily to improve performance whilst baking. Specifically it disables deformations and sets the bounding box threshold to 1. It also won't slow to a crawl as it keys more frames, it won't be crippled if there are baked keys already present in the timeline. I've taken care of the adjustments necessary to make this fast for you.

This video explains what it does and why it's handy. If anyone here has already purchased the toolset, just download the update directly on the liberty3d.com RR_Tools_Pro page (http://www.liberty3d.com/citizens/ryan-roye/ryan-royes-commercial-plugins/). I've also done some updates to the other tools and the freebie stuff as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaE-I3gMbRE&feature=youtu.be

jeric_synergy
08-26-2014, 01:21 AM
Just purchased and eagerly awaiting the download link! Thanks Ryan!

Ryan Roye
08-27-2014, 08:20 PM
UPDATES to the free tools:

- Added MultiAdd/Remove Sticky. For those who don't know, Sticky is a motion modifier that makes objects adhere to other objects that have "StickySurface" applied and can perform many of the common functions that raycasting is often used for. For things like making objects stick to terrain, I feel it is much easier to work with. Ability to mass apply this should help things a little.

- Replaced relativity lscripts with improved python versions. You no longer have to sequentially select items for this script to work properly.

UPDATES to the Commercial tools:

- Switchbaker now has an option to take into account displacements. Just run the script without moving the playhead to toggle this functionality on/off (it'll tell you in the info panel below). If your constraints don't involve displacements, leave it disabled as things will bake faster that way.

Coming soon to RR_Tools_Pro:

- Mass Motion Modifier edit/apply. This will include nodal setups. While rudementary compared to what I think people would expect, it should eliminate a lot of barriers regarding scenes that demand the user work with many motion-modified items that are normally hard to bulk-manage (namely, nodes, constraints outside of controllers/limits, perhaps even graph editor expressions).

erikals
08-28-2014, 05:15 AM
MultiAdd/Remove Sticky sounds interesting, any chance of a video demonstration on that one ?

Ryan Roye
08-28-2014, 06:21 AM
MultiAdd/Remove Sticky sounds interesting, any chance of a video demonstration on that one ?

Working on that and a few other things. Stay tuned ;)

erikals
08-29-2014, 11:46 AM
btw, somewhat related,

if it could be made to optimize the fixing of "sliding" MoCap feet that would be super-great...! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

Ryan Roye
08-29-2014, 06:39 PM
Node nerds and technical animators are going to love this new tool. People who already have RR_Tools_Pro, go ahead and grab it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL6oBLu0Ops

btw, somewhat related,

if it could be made to optimize the fixing of "sliding" MoCap feet that would be super-great...! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

Sticky is kind of like a very simplified version of raycasting; it uses the motion path of the item to calculate where an item should be placed relative to the surface of a mesh. You can use it to make items adhere to and align with the ground. While easier to set up, it is slightly less efficient in the way it works.

There are a few more tools I want to make to improve the rigging/animation workflows of Lightwave; I'll post about them when they are ready.

NOTE: the translate average + bonepin tip also applies to the MassMotion tool; you can define a custom pivot point which the items will rotate in relation to; most useful for non-parented item chains like shown in the video.

jasonwestmas
08-29-2014, 08:14 PM
Holy sheet, finally something useful regarding LW en-mass collisions. Thanks for the heads up.

OFF
08-29-2014, 11:17 PM
In my case, these tools do not work for some reason ((

JohnMarchant
08-30-2014, 12:48 AM
Already got mine and a steal at this price. Recently got RHiggit v 2 and TAFA so im hoping im ready to rock and roll in CA, which has always been my weak point in LW.

Ryan Roye
08-30-2014, 06:16 AM
In my case, these tools do not work for some reason ((

Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] , I'll see if I can figure out what would throw a wrench into things on your end.

Ryan Roye
08-30-2014, 09:20 AM
Small update to massmotion: the holder null for items created with parent chaining disabled is now placed at the averaged center of the selection instead of the scene's world center. This should make re-positioning your massmotion constrained items a lot easier if they happen to be nowhere near the origin center (it works identically to translate average). Again, you can define the pivot using the bonepin tool.

Also updated the RR_BonePin tool. It should operate about 50% faster now.

EDIT:

Some things people may want to experiment with regarding MassMotion to give some ideas...

- CruiseControl + translate average (2 keyframes only) to simulate things drifting apart, either in a radial or spreading pattern defined by the pivot point. Translate average can be used on top of most massmotion-controlled entities.

- Textured motion with an animated position envelope.

- Virtual Studio trait + DP kit on many items. Using a hardware device to control the motions of many, many objects is no longer an issue.

- FX motion; use collision objects and get no-calculation impact dynamics on a large number of objects. Example: a ship running into floating debris in space.

lightscape
08-31-2014, 12:18 AM
Very useful tools.
How about a rigging tool to make it easy to rig wires, hose, straps, etc with spline control en masse and connect them to designated mechanical parts? Engineering vizualizations usually have these spline rigs in a lot of places. Could be useful for sci fi stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQUABXSNLm8

jeric_synergy
08-31-2014, 04:06 AM
Small update to massmotion:......
Awesome!

Besides the wonderful utility of this as it is, I feel we're slowly edging towards a "Static Item" functionality.... ohboy ohboy ohboy!!!

Ryan Roye
08-31-2014, 08:27 AM
How about a rigging tool to make it easy to rig wires, hose, straps, etc with spline control en masse and connect them to designated mechanical parts? Engineering vizualizations usually have these spline rigs in a lot of places. Could be useful for sci fi stuff.

I can say with 100% certainty that spline control needs better setup and rigging workflows as the process to get it going in the first place is something I really... REALLY want to change. In my opinion Spline Control out of the box is:

1) too tedious for more than 1-2 items in a scene.

2) too restrictive. I currently feel like I'm funneled into an all or nothing approach when using this tool. The Lugarian characters in Delura (AKA flying fish people) need to be able to turn fluidly along with a path... but they also need to be able to break and transition into that path at any time to interact with characters and move around. I can't do this easily without either complicating my rig and making it harder to work with, or constructing a tool to allow me to do so...

Things like the above constitute the "ulterior motive" for the RR_Tools_Pro set in the first place.

I still need to brainstorm exactly how I should go about simplifying the process of situational auto-rigging methods that take advantage of spline control. Thanks for the reference video, it may come in handy!

Fun fact: Translate average can be used to stretch and rotate nodes (via translate operations) as a group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oit6kDCVwwI&feature=youtu.be

jasonwestmas
08-31-2014, 09:37 AM
Ryan, I'd be interested to see how you constructed your fish-people rig and how you plan on animating these guys especially. What kind of movements you would imagine them to have would be exciting to investigate for you I'm sure.

Ryan Roye
08-31-2014, 10:22 AM
Ryan, I'd be interested to see how you constructed your fish-people rig and how you plan on animating these guys especially. What kind of movements you would imagine them to have would be exciting to investigate for you I'm sure.

The movements themselves are easy and one could use any number of aquatic animals as a reference. The hard part is the fact that spline control assumes that everything is oriented a certain way. Example: In the LW3DG shark demo, notice how all the bones are oriented backward-like... this isn't going to cut it with lugarian characters because I have to be able to animate their upper bodies, and backwards bones would eliminate my ability to do that without twisting the poor little critters into a pretzel. The creature rigs have both forward and backward facing bones to split the upper and lower body/tail.

The current idea is to implement some kind of spline toggle that does not care how the character/object or their bones are oriented/positioned initially, and automatically makes a falloff control that influences every single item the user selected to allow for transitions between spline-controlled movements and hand-keyed ones. I don't think it'll be challenging to automate that; probably about 10-30 hours worth of coding work there (including the planning process).

jeric_synergy
08-31-2014, 11:33 AM
I can say with 100% certainty...

:D Ryan, that's a great tip! You demonstrating the synergy between your tools is extremely helpful.

I suggest you simply DUPLICATE BonePin and give the duplicate a name that releases it from the ghetto of "Bone-itude", since it seems to be a general "ItemPin". But, to avoid changing existing training materials, keeping "BonePin" around would be my lazy man's way out.

Ryan Roye
08-31-2014, 11:43 AM
I suggest you simply DUPLICATE BonePin and give the duplicate a name that releases it from the ghetto of "Bone-itude", since it seems to be a general "ItemPin". But, to avoid changing existing training materials, keeping "BonePin" around would be my lazy man's way out.

I agree, I need to change the name of that tool as it works on more than just bones which the name could imply. I'll just put "AKA Bonepin" on the page for a while to transition it.

jeric_synergy
08-31-2014, 04:34 PM
Ryan, did the menu branch get updated with the latest zip?

And lest I seem ungrateful: THANK YOU!!! I can't believe what a bargain this is!

Ryan Roye
08-31-2014, 05:39 PM
Ryan, did the menu branch get updated with the latest zip?

Minor update scheduled for tomorrow. I also need to update the SwitchBaker tool to remove grabber-made envelopes so the user can repeatedly use grabber on a single item and still preview their animation.

jeric_synergy
08-31-2014, 06:22 PM
Minor update scheduled for tomorrow. I also need to update the SwitchBaker tool to remove grabber-made envelopes so the user can repeatedly use grabber on a single item and still preview their animation.
No worries. --It's a holiday!

FWIW, unless I'm adding the branch wrong, something is wonky with the supplied menu branch, in that I'm not seeing RR_TranslateAverage in the new menutab. It IS in the "Additional" category. A minor glitch. Figured you'd want to know.

Also, I'm taking a shot at formatting the notes in a way that a very thick person like myself might find easier to grasp. I'll forward that along when I get it prettier.

Ryan Roye
09-01-2014, 09:12 AM
Some updates:

First off, new tool for RR_Tools_Pro: TranslateKeep. Retain items made by Translate Average to allow for some interesting effects and added flexibility. Especially handy if you're doing mograph work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eiLOBy83VE

Other updates:

- I noticed the menu branches included in both the free and pro set were botched somehow, they should be fixed.

- Grabber now removes position/rotation constraint envelopes prior to editing them. Should make grabber more user friendly when it is applied repeatedly to a single item.

- I renamed the BonePin tool (RR_Tools Free): it is now called ItemPin/Unpin.

Free plugins page here (http://www.liberty3d.com/citizens/ryan-roye/ryan-royes-free-plugins/)
Get the Pro updates here (http://www.liberty3d.com/citizens/ryan-roye/ryan-royes-commercial-plugins/) (link at the bottom of the page)

jeric_synergy
09-01-2014, 10:05 AM
EVERYBODY, you are truly missing out if you don't buy RR_Tools_Pro, they are the bargain of the year!

JohnMarchant
09-01-2014, 10:41 AM
Agreed a steal at this price.

Ryan Roye
09-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Mass Motion isn't just for fancy motion modifier tricks... it can be used on practically anything that can transfer its properties via cloning. The video below, for example, shows mass application of hypervoxels at work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoy0-bjuWrI

There are a few things on my todo list that concern Mass Motion:

1) There seems to be some weird bug with Mass Motion if you run it immediately after performing a translate average operation... I have no idea why it throws a python console error, but I'd like to make it disappear. For some reason it keeps wanting to try to reference a source file... yet it isn't referenced anywhere in the script itself?? ... This ones a thinker. Also, I need to make mass motion require at least 2 items to be selected, else tell the user they need to do so before operating.

2) I want to make Mass Motion Update save all of the animation of all items it is constraining to temporary files that get stored in the user's config directory (specifically, a subfolder named MassMotionTemp). This way, if the user applied hand-animated motions to the Mass Motion array, their keyframes will not get removed when performing the update.

Ryan Roye
11-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Minor update this time around:

- New Tool: RR_TranslateAdjustPivot.pyc allows you to adjust the pivot of the translate average controller in a single button press. See instructions for usage info (like many of the other RR tools, it works as a toggle). This basically eliminates the need to use the RR_ItemPin tool to achieve this and simplifies things.

- Optimized Translate Average; it now runs 2x faster than the previous version. Making it any faster than this would likely require a rewrite.

- Added "RR_SetItemShape.lsc" (INSTALL REQUIRED!). This uses comring to apply item shapes to Translate Average and Grabber items. This should make them a bit easier to see and select, and makes nulls generated from RR tools a bit more obvious.

- Relative Motion Prep now sets the playhead to frame 0 before running. Previously the plugin would not work as expected if it was not at frame 0.

Download the update by going to the product page here: http://www.liberty3d.com/citizens/ryan-roye/ryan-royes-commercial-plugins/ (link at the bottom of the page), and replace all of the old files with the new ones. Be sure to install RR_SetItemShape.lsc as it is called by the other scripts.

If anyone runs into unexpected issues let me know! Thanks!

Edit: Also, I've finally figured out how to allow the switchbaker to bake TCB curves and align to path (which will come with a performance increase as well), but of course I'll need time to get it all put together and I may end up re-writing the tool.

Areyos Alektor
11-16-2014, 01:55 PM

allabulle
11-17-2014, 07:30 AM
Thanks!

Ryan Roye
11-19-2014, 09:30 AM
More updates available: this video summarizes some of the upgrades i've made to the toolset as of recent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfjhPWm7Wj0

Also, i've removed RR_ItemShape.lsc; it is no longer required. Other improvements will be made over time, and of course if something about a tool bothers anyone or someone has feature/change requests I'll see what I can do to make the toolset better.

tonyrizo2003
11-19-2014, 11:07 AM
very cool! Thanks !!

Julez4001
11-19-2014, 11:51 AM
Pure Epic-ness!

tonyrizo2003
11-19-2014, 12:14 PM
very cool!

Davewriter
11-19-2014, 07:48 PM
Thanks for spoiling us!
More than happy I bought in :)

jeric_synergy
11-19-2014, 08:52 PM
Hot damn!

Wow, if people use these, I beg you to make short short presentations, ala erikals, to demonstrate the implications of all this stuff! I figure RR already does enough, and I'm sure I'll never quite figure out all the potential!

jeric_synergy
11-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Am I correctly understanding that RR's tools now fully/completely supplant MF Motion Baker (although being commercial instead of shareware)?

(Sorry if that's a total-noob question.)(Henceforth, "TNQ".)

++++++
'Feature' Request: (not really, but...)

Ryan, it'd be great if you could put a datestamp on the ZIP file itself, just to help categorize multiple version downloads. For instance, Firefox just adds a "*(n).zip" to the filename.

djwaterman
11-19-2014, 10:01 PM
Hot diggerty! Time to buy. So you download them and install them, and then you get an unlock code after purchase?

djwaterman
11-19-2014, 11:35 PM
I mean how do they know where to send the code, do I enter that detail during the pay process or am I supposed to register somewhere, I can't see this info anywhere in the Liberty site.

jeric_synergy
11-20-2014, 12:19 AM
IIRC, I got an email, either from RR or L3d. --Actually, I think it was both.

Ryan Roye
11-20-2014, 01:47 AM
The key files are cut manually so depending on the time of day it may take up to 6-8 hours for either Kat or I to cut a key. Eventually we want to see about having an automated system for cutting users keys after purchase.

Am I correctly understanding that RR's tools now fully/completely supplant MF Motion Baker (although being commercial instead of shareware)?

In most cases, yes, but such is expected for a commercial tool. I still have optimizations to make to the switch baker and there are still a few puzzles to solve:

1) SwitchBaker's performance is negatively affected by Relativity motion modifiers that use itemID#'s in a constraint chain and it seems to process slower than usual. This may also be true of complex constraint chains derived from expressions that use scene time as a factor. I have no idea why this is... but one possible fix is to detect whether or not relativity is applied to any items and choose which baking method to use based on what is found.

2) When the number of items exceeds 150-200, switchbaker is about as fast as MF motion baker. This is because switchbaker pre-processes the motion path of each item first before operating. In future versions, I may have the plugin switch to the old baking method if # of items selected exceeds a certain number.

Ryan, it'd be great if you could put a datestamp on the ZIP file itself, just to help categorize multiple version downloads. For instance, Firefox just adds a "*(n).zip" to the filename.

I'll start doing that in the next update.

Ryan Roye
11-20-2014, 07:03 AM
Heads up:

Licensing update coming soon... right now the plugins read the license file from the CONFIGS directory but users are having problems getting the key to validate... on mac systems this is especially problematic because the folder is by default hidden.

The next update will make it so that the plugins look for the RR_Tools_Key.txt file in the same directory as the plugins are launched. People with existing installations will need to move their RR_Tools_Key.txt file to the directory the plugins are installed in this new update. This should make setting up the plugins a bit more user friendly. When I first made the tools I wasn't exactly sure as to how to set up licensing, so that's on me.

Ryan Roye
11-20-2014, 06:36 PM
Update

Important: The placement of the RR_Tools_Key.txt file has changed with this update. People who already have the plugins installed must move the RR_Tools_Key.txt file to the same directory which the plugins were placed; hopefully this will add a good bit of convenience to installing the tools.

Also, I fixed a bug with the bone scale to rest length tool; it wasn't processing nested child bones properly; this has been fixed. It also runs a bit faster as I completely re-wrote the tool.

allabulle
11-21-2014, 03:14 AM
Thanks Ryan, much appreciated.

djwaterman
11-21-2014, 08:24 AM
These tools are awesome, I mean they are awesome.

jeric_synergy
11-21-2014, 10:14 AM
These tools are awesome, I mean they are awesome.
I don't catch your meaning. ;)

allabulle
11-21-2014, 10:19 AM
I think he means the tools are awesome. I agree. :)

djwaterman
11-21-2014, 10:42 AM
Probably needed an exclamation mark at the end.

jeric_synergy
11-21-2014, 11:48 AM
I think he means the tools are awesome. I agree. :)
Nobody 'gets' me. :grumpy: ;)

Obviously, I agree, and I particularly enjoy RR's voice in his videos, which is clear and pleasing. Need to start using all these goodies.

Marander
11-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Update

Important: The placement of the RR_Tools_Key.txt file has changed with this update. People who already have the plugins installed must move the RR_Tools_Key.txt file to the same directory which the plugins were placed; hopefully this will add a good bit of convenience to installing the tools.

Also, I fixed a bug with the bone scale to rest length tool; it wasn't processing nested child bones properly; this has been fixed. It also runs a bit faster as I completely re-wrote the tool.

Cool tools, Chazriker! Bought.

calilifestyle
11-21-2014, 02:41 PM
I notice something i might be misunderstanding. In the read me .txt file note 4 . says "Import Branch". Choose the RR_Retarget and RR_Tools to add them." In your zip you only have cfg files RR_tools_pro and RR_tools.

Ryan Roye
11-21-2014, 06:28 PM
I notice something i might be misunderstanding. In the read me .txt file note 4 . says "Import Branch". Choose the RR_Retarget and RR_Tools to add them." In your zip you only have cfg files RR_tools_pro and RR_tools.

I'll update that... the CFG file only references the RR_Tools_Pro plugins now.

Marander
11-21-2014, 06:55 PM
Quick RR Tools test, just a couple of lights

http://youtu.be/I6ixVrabqdc

Ryan Roye
11-21-2014, 07:17 PM

Really cool to see some demos of the tools at work. Thanks for sharing!

adhesiveX
11-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Very cool and UFO like.

Marander
11-22-2014, 09:35 AM
Very cool and UFO like.

Thanks!

jeric_synergy
11-22-2014, 10:30 AM

http://youtu.be/I6ixVrabqdc

NICE! I encourage everyone who bought RR's plugins to post demos!

Ryan Roye
11-24-2014, 05:16 AM
New RR Tools Pro update available:

- New Tool: TranslateGroup. This allows you to group items that are controlled by a translate average controller in a fashion much like animation layers. So, if you have a circle of nulls, and you want to spread out only a quarter of them at a time, doing this is much easier with this tool. To use it, just select the objects that are currently being controlled by a translate average null and run the tool for every group desired.

- Further enhancements to Translate Average tools performance; it should complete processing within seconds even for 300+ item selections.

Areyos Alektor
11-30-2014, 07:10 PM

Ryan Roye
12-06-2014, 12:09 PM
New tool: Rotate Average. Check it out! The video also shows the group functionality in action. Be sure to grab this new update on the RR Tools Pro product page (http://www.liberty3d.com/citizens/ryan-roye/ryan-royes-commercial-plugins/) at liberty3d.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjTGymohC1Y&feature=youtu.be

jeric_synergy
12-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Watching the tools being applied is so COOL, I don't think any animation that I could come up with would be as compelling.

Quick ( <10secs ) shots showing where the tools were used would be useful to kickstart my balky imagination.

Ryan Roye
12-06-2014, 08:35 PM
One more demo (no audio this time). This demonstrates a "deploy and destroy" workflow... to allow the benefit of rigs without needing constraints or setup. Just select, use the tool and tweak away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7_ehaHtvMg&feature=youtu.be

chikega
12-06-2014, 10:34 PM
Nice updates! :) The last video could be used for an epee sword bending upon impact. :)

djwaterman
12-07-2014, 01:45 AM
Ryan, I just updated my RR tools to that latest version, did you have the config menu set up to display Translate group and Rotate average? I don't see those in the menu and had to add them separately, so they come in with the RR prefix while all the others just have a dot in front of them. Should I just completely rid Lightwave of all the RR tools completely and do a fresh load of the new scripts, I just replaced them with the new ones and added the extra translate rotation script into the same folder.

Ryan Roye
12-07-2014, 05:41 AM
Ryan, I just updated my RR tools to that latest version, did you have the config menu set up to display Translate group and Rotate average?

I'll fix the config file on the next update, I'm pretty sure I simply forgot to add the latest tools to the file.

hrgiger
12-07-2014, 11:02 AM
Keep up the good work Ryan.

Ryan Roye
12-07-2014, 05:45 PM
I'll fix the config file on the next update, I'm pretty sure I simply forgot to add the latest tools to the file.

This has been fixed and updated. Also, Grabber now generates blue nulls which act as falloff controllers. I'll need to think on a good way to enhance the tool even further, as I want the user to be able to switch from item to item without manually baking keyframes to do so.

http://www.delura.tanadrine.com/image_manualupload/RR_Grabber.jpg

Ryan Roye
12-23-2014, 11:24 PM
Update on RR Tools. Changelog below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e01NNyS0uXQ

ALL TOOLS
- Updated RR_Tools_Pro.cfg, it should be more organized and contains the latest tools added.

- Due to an error with the Python globalstore/recall on Mac OS running Lightwave, most toggle-based RR Tools scripts that previously operated with these have been transitioned to store their data in text files instead. This issue has been fixed in LW 2015.1, but for the time being I will be using text files to ensure Mac OS compatibility with earlier versions of Lightwave. The usage of text files will be phased out over time.

NEW TOOL
- Added RR_DDRig_IKBChain to the RR_Tools_Pro set. Read description for usage instructions. The first of a "deploy and destroy" series of tools that treat rigs as manipulation modes rather than constraints.

NEW TOOL
- Added RR_MultiProxyPick. This is technically a free, open source tool but i've bundled it with the commercial ones as it's possible I'll be adapting this script to serve other purposes. Think of it as selection sets that you can apply directly in the 3d viewport. Unlike all other implementations out there, settings aren't lost between scenes (they are stored in the scene null name), won't get confused with cloned items, and setup does not involve dialogue windows.

GRABBER
- Fixed interpolation falloff controller issues. Expressions are now assigned via itemID.
- This plugin now automatically smooths out the transition to prevent snapping at the time of "grabbing"
- Added bake and remove functionality. See instructions for details.

SWITCHBAKER
- This plugin now bakes IK-enabled items if detected.
- Fixed some off-by-one errors for goal baking
- Bounding box threshold is now temporarily set to "1" during the goal/IK bake processes.

TRANSLATE/ROTATE AVERAGE
- Fixed placement error that occured when using this tool with IKBooster setups.

JohnMarchant
12-24-2014, 01:30 AM
Love it Ryan

chikega
12-24-2014, 08:35 PM
It's nice to have more options to animate within Lightwave. I'll be sure to update.

Areyos Alektor
12-28-2014, 03:52 PM
Thank you for the gift :)

Ryan Roye
06-05-2015, 05:59 AM
I've put up some new RR Tools Pro videos that serve as a replacement for the text manual. There's a few more videos on the toolset I want to make, but there's some updates and bug fixes I want to get out of the way before I do that. For now, here are the vids on vimeo:

Symmetry Edit Mode (a free tool): https://vimeo.com/129848367
Mass Motion: https://vimeo.com/129841592
Grabber: https://vimeo.com/129841591
Average Tools: https://vimeo.com/129841590

JohnMarchant
06-05-2015, 06:43 AM
Thanks Ryan, look forward to seeing more.

allabulle
06-05-2015, 11:52 AM
Thanks!

jeric_synergy
06-05-2015, 12:53 PM
I absolutely suck at seeing potential : Ryan's tools seem like they would be naturals for motion graphics-- anybody used them in that application yet?

jeric_synergy
06-30-2015, 10:44 PM
( I looked/Googled for the "RR Tools DIscussion" but couldn't find it-- if anybody wants to start another, THIRD PARTY would be a good place....)