PDA

View Full Version : Minimise in Mac and other ramblings.

VIDandCGI
08-19-2014, 06:10 AM
Ok first off, new windows machine arrived...Yay! - I'm like a kid & enjoying installing everything.
As I'm doing this I notice my desktop - ill admit my desktops get cluttered but in an organised way.
As you can see its fairly clear at the moment until I get the rest installed, I tend to like to have all my most used apps 1 click away - anyone else like this or have a different approach that I can consider?

Now onto the bit that took me back a moment, using macs a lot recently I had gotten used to when minimising LW that the n,F7 & w panels would stay in place.
Now back onto the win platform I minimise LW expecting to have to close the panels to see & remember that they go with the application, so finally to the question ...
Is this a mac only thing? or have I missed something on the mac whereby when I minimise LW the panels will go with it?

Danner
08-19-2014, 06:35 AM
Gratz on the new machine. I only keep temporary stuff on the desktop. I like a clean desktop, I put main apps on the task bar and for every other app I have installed I hit the windows key and type the first few letters. No idea on the mac minimizing app and not the panels. I don't use the mac much, but I hardly minimize in windows either, I just alt tab and win-D to go to desktop, win-E for new explorer window etc. (I wish MS hadn't removed the cool win-tab we had in windows 7).

Somewhat related.. I just have to share something I learned yesterday. A co-worker showed me the "snipping tool" I can't beleive this tool has been included since the XP days and I just discovered it. Opening the app is the equivalent of: Hitting print screen, opening phothoshop, pasting the image and selecting the crop tool. Draw rectangle to crop, scribble on top of it if you want, then save.

Kuzey
08-19-2014, 06:40 AM
It's a Mac thing, each window is independent.

To minimize all open panels & app window, option click one of the little minimize buttons on any window/panel.

To maximize them in one go, Option click one of the window/panels from the Dock.

tischbein3
08-19-2014, 07:38 AM
As you can see its fairly clear at the moment until I get the rest installed, I tend to like to have all my most used apps 1 click away - anyone else like this or have a different approach that I can consider?
I placed shortcuts of all applications I do use into a folder, and made shortcut of it into the task bar (win 7 here) so its a two click solution.

gerry_g
08-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Mac is a different concept there is more of a distinction between windows and programs, I tend use the hide command to hide the program ( COMAND+H = all windows that form the program get hidden) and not the minimise

VIDandCGI
08-20-2014, 04:32 AM
Thanks for the replies.

@Danner Thanks. I used to do something similar a while back but I found my taskbar got cluttered so I switched to a self coded dock. I know what you mean about things like that, I just found out about the quick screenshot win+print the other day I was so used to having to do it the old windows way of print/open paint/paste etc.

@Kuzey Aha! that's what I was looking for, appreciated.

@tisch again I used to do something similar but I find these days I really prefer a 1 click solution for a number of reasons.

@Gerry Thanks, I will admit for a number of years way back I was a win only guy but more recently I have found a need for both platforms and will say I am still a newbie to a lot of the macs way of doing things. Even after a few years of using them I forget that its cmd+V etc. Like Kuzey solution, this is what I was looking for.