PDA

View Full Version : Lucid dreaming

hazmat777
08-18-2014, 12:53 PM
I've had a ton of lucid dreams. My favorites are of course flying (although sometimes I'm going too fast and it gets kind of frightening) but there's another one that I really like even more. I put my hands in fists in front of my chest stretched out like I'm doing a dumbell workout. Then I pull them back really fast while I jump forward with both feet. Kinda like a Kangaroo. I keep going and pretty soon I'm jumping like 12 feet at a time. Sometimes those turn into flying dreams, but not always.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/17/lucid-dreamers-insightful_n_5683214.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

gerry_g
08-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Very reluctant to tell you what Freud thought people who dreamt about flying were really wishfully thinking about :)

hazmat777
08-18-2014, 01:37 PM
Very reluctant to tell you what Freud thought people who dreamt about flying were really wishfully thinking about :)

Cute. You think Freud had any idea of what he was talking about? Hysterical take on his "findings" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088073/ :)

Or are you talking about "integration"? :)

hazmat777
08-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Trying to get back on topic, has anyone had multiple dreams? You wake up (or think you have) and go through another dream and then wake up again?

gerry_g
08-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Cute. You think Freud had any idea of what he was talking about? Hysterical take on his "findings"

Yes Freud thought everything was about sex which could be construed as more of a judgement of his psyche than anything else but having read his not inconsiderable book "the Theory of Dreams" (albeit some forty years ago) I still find his central thesis that the dream is nothing more than wish-fulfilment masquerading as metaphors to evade the censorship of the conscious mind compelling, as to the dream within a dream I would bet most people have been there, you should Google Solipsism.

How about this then – you wake in the middle of the night and you find yourself unable to breath, gradually panic sets in as you realise this is real, worse still you have no control over your limbs they simply refuse to move, you lay there desperately gasping for air in a paralysed state your lungs not working, sinking into oblivion convinced you have breathed your last and you are about to die. I like many others have experienced this it happened to me in my forties, it is a real physical phenomenon that can strike atone at any time when it happened I thought it was just me that I had some genetic defect but have since read on line that this is not the case and happens to perfectly healthy people indiscriminately.

Chuck
08-18-2014, 02:57 PM
Sleep paralysis - yep, hate it, but thankfully while it was common when I was young, it's not nearly as often now that I am older. I never had the feeling I couldn't breath, but other than that I couldn't move anything or make a sound, and I usually have it in conjunction with nightmarish waking dreams - nothing concrete, just a feeling that something terrible is coming and I can't move.

Wikipedia has some info on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream

Chuck
08-18-2014, 04:31 PM
Yes Freud thought everything was about sex which could be construed as more of a judgement of his psyche than anything else but having read his not inconsiderable book "the Theory of Dreams" (albeit some forty years ago) I still find his central thesis that the dream is nothing more than wish-fulfilment masquerading as metaphors to evade the censorship of the conscious mind compelling, as to the dream within a dream I would bet most people have been there, you should Google Solipsism.

I'm just a couple more years until reaching 50 years since I read Freud's books in early high school. I didn't find that theory of dreaming compelling because I don't seem to have ever needed symbolism in my dreams. I dream about flying, but I also dream straightforwardly about sex. I think what I didn't take into account in that evaluation of Freud's work is the strength of the effect of the culture he worked in. At his time and where he practiced, dreaming may indeed have been symbolic in that sense, especially if working with people who were very much caught in the repressive attitudes of the time. In cultures less repressed, resorting to covering symbolisms in dreams may not be needed.

Looking at the subcultures present in the modern day US, there would be segments of population where Freudian symbolism would be the approach to take in understanding dreams - religious subcultures that view sex as only appropriate for procreation, and otherwise as a base "carnal" part of our nature to be suppressed, and to feel guilty over. However, there are also segments of the population that now take sex as a very natural part of life and not something to suppress, and likely something they are more comfortable and relaxed with than any previous generation of human beings for a long time. They aren't going to need to dream symbolically about it.

So these days I would have to allow that there is in fact validity to Freud's understandings in a number of contexts, where when I was young I discounted any validity based on just my personal experience in dreaming, and without looking at the wider human picture that I've since learned to take into account.

Cageman
08-18-2014, 04:45 PM
When I have these lucid dreams, especially regarding flying, I also give myself a bunch of other superpowers, such as strenght and rapid healing. I usually tend to fight big monsters/creatures and slash them to pieces. One time, I remember getting some altitude so that I could get speed in order to ram a huge seacreature that was threatening people on a boat. I flew right through it, cutting it in half, killed it. It is quite cool how expensive those effects would have been if it was a Hollywood blockbuster. :)

But yes... I am a huge fan of superheroes. :)

adrian
08-19-2014, 03:10 AM
From someone who "suffers" lucid dreaming quite a few nights a week, I cannot understand why people would want to experience it. Oh for a blisfully peaceful night's sleep. Mine aren't bad, it's just I'd rather mentally switch off when I'm sleeping, and yes I've also experienced "waking up" in a dream only to still be dreaming in another. Yet when I do actually wake up I can barely remember anything about what I was dreaming.

Never thought I'd be discussing this on the LightWave forums!!!!

prometheus
08-19-2014, 10:04 AM
I think I have tried lucid dreaming many years ago, but I reallyd didnīt work on it or got it naturally, when I dream..i simply dream without really knowing it is a dream...so entering the state of lucid dreaming is something I would have to practice on I think..
then again I recall myself being very capable at entering a fantasiworld and shutting of the real world when I was a kid, I donīt think it could be callled lucid dreaming though, just merely a very strong imagination where the real world would dissolve and I went in to daydreaming quite easy.

Sadly I havenīt been able to really embrace that mental state at my current age and state.

when I tried to follow some lucid dreaming guides, I did manage a few times to start flying over some landscapes and I knew I was dreaming and I could decide to go where ever I wanted, but this didnīt happen as easy and as often as I wanted too.

Inception? that was maybe to deep in to entering dreams where they didnīt know they were dreaming?

Im sure I am just a butterfly dreaming that I am a human:)
I reckon the whole Idea of lucid dreaming, is to be aware that you are dreaming, and at the same time control the dream to be whatever you want it to be, not getting surprised by stuff in the dreams that arenīt what you excpected it to be, if that isnīt what you want that is.

hazmat777
08-19-2014, 10:42 AM
From what I've read about the topic, is that the first thing to try and do when you realize you're dreaming is to try and look at the palm of your hands. In a dream state your hands will be right there, so why not find them? Then a much more difficult maneuver is to ( I know this sounds weird ) to try and touch the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth. I have been able to find my hands before, but have not gotten further than that in about 25 years of trying.

hazmat777
08-19-2014, 11:02 AM
From someone who "suffers" lucid dreaming quite a few nights a week, I cannot understand why people would want to experience it. Oh for a blisfully peaceful night's sleep. Mine aren't bad, it's just I'd rather mentally switch off when I'm sleeping, and yes I've also experienced "waking up" in a dream only to still be dreaming in another. Yet when I do actually wake up I can barely remember anything about what I was dreaming.

Never thought I'd be discussing this on the LightWave forums!!!!

Well, I guess I thought it might get us talking about something other than LW 12, LW 13, LW 14 speculation. :)

adrian
08-19-2014, 12:42 PM
Of course, we could have some lucid dreams about the new features in LW 12.....

ncr100
08-19-2014, 04:51 PM
I use the technique from the book of the same name - and start writing my dreams down as soon as my eyes open. As days of this go by I simply gain the ability to recognize I'm in a dream state, and then I can take control. I can use this state if I need an escape from reality, to solve problems or just whatever.

rednova
08-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Hi:
The hindu yogis believe that when we dream, our astral bodies travel thru the astral plane.
Sometimes we can be able to control our dreams, or direct our astral bodies to go anywhere we
want to go, or meet friends during the dream.

jeric_synergy
08-19-2014, 06:25 PM
Of course, we could have some lucid dreams about the new features in LW 12.....
NOOOOoooooo!!! Stay off-topic!!!!! ;)

(I wish I could lucid-dream.)

Davewriter
08-20-2014, 08:51 PM
It is strange for me to read through this (in a fascinating way)
as I can go months at a time not being aware of a dream at all. And on the rare occations when I do "dream" the part I remember anything of is so small it would hardly count.