PDA

View Full Version : Instance Generator, ID Index Node a bit Whack?

raw-m
08-18-2014, 11:07 AM
Anyone had issues with using the ID Index in the Instance Generator? I'm using the attached to make the Instances popup along a Spline Path. Looks like it skips a few instances along the path - they popup eventually, but not in order. I originally had it directly piped into the Scale, which is what I really what, but no joy.

I've tried copying/pasting into the Surface Editor and changing the colour and it seems to behave in there. Guess I could use the Transparency instead but restricts me.

PS. fogbugz'd

prometheus
08-19-2014, 10:25 AM
maybe upload a sample scene?
what type of spline path are you using? the new spline tools in layout or a simpley modeler curve? or other?

until you solved it with that path of yours, it might work to instead use a curve and apply particles and use the vertices, and set the instance mode to particles, you can only control placement with the amount of vertices and itīs placement, and only control birth rate of the instances with the particle birth rate, so that might be to limiting maybe.
you can also control the amount of instances to flow along or fill the curve with partices and instances if you set particle nozzle to object line, but that will also give some additional unwanted instances at the end and start of the curve since layout reads a modeler curve as a closed object,
so you might get around that if you make the curve a polylchain with dense divisions.

(yep that works, set it to emit by normal though, in order to have instances popup along the curve, particles will emitt along the polychain and instances will follow that)

Michael

raw-m
08-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Hi Prometheus

I Fog'd it with a screen capture of my issue. I don't want to get into particles as they never keep still for what I need here - one of the buggers always twitches for no reason! There is no reason why what I'm doing should not work, it looks good and it's a breeze to setup. Heres the fogbugz URL if you would like to see the technique, it's in the attachment - the forum won't allow me to attach it directly.

I got around the issue by using the Surface/transparency on the objects surface rather than use the Instance Generator Node Editor. It's a great little technique and very flexible, I hope they fix it!

prometheus
08-19-2014, 10:49 AM
why donīt you simply post a scene file? I donīt see any attachment at all from you ..except the images, and no fogbugz url either, and I never used that either, simplest...post a scenefile.

hereīs a scenefile- polychain with particles and a simple cube instanced. lightwave 11.6.2 win 32

main cube object hidden...

raw-m
08-19-2014, 10:54 AM
Oop!

https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?72119_g25v66ak5rrrtmqh

Thanks, I'll take a look a little later.

prometheus
08-19-2014, 10:59 AM
Oop!

https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?72119_g25v66ak5rrrtmqh

Thanks, I'll take a look a little later.

:) I reckoned it was some oop thingy:)
If I got the time I will check in to spline instancing with the spline tools later, my stuff was just a workaround and ultimatly I think you got more control with the new tools, if you use my polychain and deform that chain, you need to calculate particles so the instances will follow correctly.

you can also select the polychain in modeler and convert to skelegons, and then in layout convert to bones so you can deform the polychain, and same here...calculate particles after bone deformation.

raw-m
08-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Definetly take a look at that Fogbugz link if you can. It's very flexible with Instance numbers and separation, it just needs the Index ID aspect of it to work as intended for further abuse :D

prometheus
08-20-2014, 06:08 AM
Definetly take a look at that Fogbugz link if you can. It's very flexible with Instance numbers and separation, it just needs the Index ID aspect of it to work as intended for further abuse :D

I have tested the scene, canīt figure it out either why that is happening, maybe the gradient isnīt the best thing or something?