PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

ednachman
08-18-2014, 08:10 AM
I am attempting to drill. Most of the radial arms have been drilled but on one occasion I got the following message,
"Unable to regenerate contour.
This may be caused by highly non-planar polygons,
Or by ambiguous overlap between polygon edges and the cutting tool.
Triple non-planar polygons or add a small offset to data and try again."

I am attaching an image showing the attempted drill with the message and another with the entire object.

I'm not sure what the message means. Any help is appreciated.

meatycheesyboy
08-18-2014, 08:22 AM
I usually see this error when trying to boolean subtract objects. The fix is usually to nudge either your cut object or your base objects a mm or 2 in any direction.

In this case though, I don't think that's necessary. If I am understanding the picture correctly, I think you could probably just grab the cap polygons, bevel them (inset only, no shift), delete the inset polygons then manually bridge the resulting pieces.

[edit] nevermind that last part, I stupidly didn't think about the intersection in the center. [edit]

jeric_synergy
08-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Your cutter object has a lot of geometry--- try reducing that.

Is the interior intersection VISIBLE in the animation? If not, I'd do as mcb says above and just bevel the ends in.

spherical
08-18-2014, 10:43 PM
I've gotten this a lot. Things to be aware of with Booleans:

You cannot cut through a point. Points are... points. They have no dimension, therefore, they cannot be split in two. This is what is behind meatycheezyboy's advice to nudge.
The error message can also be a result of cruft in the geometry. Be certain that both objects are sound. IOW, no holes, no coplanar polys, no overlapping polys, all polys correctly facing, etc.
Sometimes the Speed Booleans will work, where the original won't.

meshpig
08-19-2014, 02:30 AM
I agree with chuck, just bevel the ends. Drill is part of an oldish toolset i.e. LWCAD cuts into n-gons.

jeric_synergy
08-19-2014, 09:29 AM
If the holes need to go all the way thru, making them BEFORE copying/rotating the bits around will be a lot easier.

Unless you're doing some fancy stuff with the exterior chamfer.

Amurrell
08-21-2014, 12:25 AM
Also, you can force polygons into being planar by tripling your polys. Sometimes just tripling your cutting object is enough.

OFF
08-21-2014, 03:17 AM
you can split your object into pieces and over each individually do your Boolean operations. it helps on the difficult, complex models.