PDA

View Full Version : Hard and Soft body spline mainipulations?

objuan
08-16-2014, 12:48 PM
Greetings,

I have a new job where I need to do a variety of animations showing off this fancy power cable that can lock into the port when you plug it in.

Both the male and female ends of the cable have a variety of moving parts, which are all totally rigid.
Then there is the cable, which is flexible and can bend like, well, like a cable.
And then there are the transition pieces, I'm not sure what you call it, but where the cable meets the plug and there is reenforced rubber around the cable which bends a little, but not a lot.

So I'm wondering what is the best way to set this up?

I've watched a couple of tutorials on the spline tool which looks super cool, but I haven't really seen anything on smoothly transitioning from 'deforms with spline' to 'follows/orients to spline but stays rigid'

I imagine I can figure it out with some experimentation, but I figured couldn't hurt to throw it up here first and see if any of you fine folks have already pulled your hair out over this, so I can keep what little I have left...

jeric_synergy
08-16-2014, 01:36 PM
Use NODAL MOTION to lock the rigid bits to a single point in the end of the cable. Check Rebel Hill's tutorials for how to do so.

The cable doesn't need to be one object: the cable and the connector are obviously 2 diff objects in the RW, so not an issue.

prometheus
08-17-2014, 08:25 AM
you could perhaps use two point poly chains and animate and metalink a clothfx object or bullet softbody object to the polychain, it works..but depends on how you want it.

jasonwestmas
08-17-2014, 10:18 AM
For control. cables are best done with bones and simple weight maps to keep the rigid parts rigid. Animate it with spline IK if you have LW 11.6. The root parent of the bone chain should be in the center of the cable so that the left and right ends of the cable curls and bends properly.