PDA

View Full Version : My Latest Subpatch model

Tony3d
08-16-2014, 02:01 AM
Well, This is a model of my little Tripath amp. All Subpatched out of one box. I think it's finally starting to click. I did separate the black case from the faceplate so I could more easily make some changes. The hex screws were made separately.

djwaterman
08-16-2014, 03:17 AM
Tony, it looks great, I would probably call the face plate mesh ugly, but it works so it's a moot point'. I wonder then, now that you seem to have mastered this dark art, do you yourself see any added benefit in the results over your old method for producing models?

Tony3d
08-16-2014, 08:05 AM
So far I would say that the reduced poly count makes for a much easier manipulated model especially in modeler. Not so much on this model, but when I make some of my cables that have hundreds of twisted copper strands, the difference in poly count should be huge!. I can also see that certain kinds of contours will be much easier to produce, probably look much better. I would hardly say I've mastered this, but I am able to get pretty much the look I'm after. The front mesh is a bit ugly. I find many Times that when I need let's say make a hole, or square in a certain position, it can get a jumbled, but as you say it works, so I'm happy. So long as I can get the look I'm after, remain all quads, and some triangles, and have no non-planner poly's I'm a happy camper.

JoePoe
08-17-2014, 12:32 PM
Well, the render is beautiful! :)
And the main body wires look great.

Unfortunately those wires on the front....on anything other than a flat surface they're going to be problematic. So best to figure it out here before you're confronted with the same issues on a more complicated form and it's even more confusing. The red areas 123688..... best if you rework those.

I think that you're unnecessarily psyching yourself out a bit when it comes to circles/holes. SubD doesn't necessarily mean "complicated".
I get the impression that your seeing Ngons and saying to yourself well, if I just connect up these two points and those two points I'll get quads....
but you're ending up with a chaotic flow. And a good flow is one of the things you're after.

For simplicity's sake I made the four small corner holes four sided (I don't recommend this, as four sided holes aren't the most circular creatures).
But, I wanted to make the wires as simple as possible to start. 123689

Once you see how that is working you can see that a six or eight sided hole is not that much different.
In terms of wire complexity, it's basically adding a central cut through the corners in one or both directions. 123692
(In practical terms, it's best to start with the higher side count.. as trying to put cuts in after the fact will flatten out the circle sides)

Hope this helps. :)

Edit: I would be interested on seeing the steps you took in creating the front plate. If we can see the moment when things first get a little hectic we can stop it from happening in the first place.

Tony3d
08-18-2014, 06:29 AM
Thanks Joe. Good tips. I'll try to fix it when I get a chance. I can put the four corner holes in beautifully, where it starts going wrong is when I add things like the headphone jack, and knob. I'll see if I still have the steps I took, and post them.

Can I see you mesh before you turn on sub-patch? That would help greatly.

Tony3d
08-18-2014, 07:34 AM
Don't have the steps anymore, but here is model before sub-patching is turned on.

jeric_synergy
08-18-2014, 09:38 AM
My impression is that it's more productive to always have a border around each hole, i.e. treat each hole as a polygon island. That seems to result in cleaner polyflows.

JoePoe
08-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Sure, I can post my unpatched wires but I don't want to confuse things further with an all new mesh... Left to my own devices I would have a few more polys in there in places. (maybe after).
So let's work on fixing what you've got.

With as few changes as I could do....
1) I would straighten these out. That all by itself will start to clean things up visually. 123714
2) This is what I want. Not too many changes. A combination of moving some points you already have and adding some new edges. 123715

All the connections at the corners of holes mean you need to treat all the holes like you did the Volume... and like I did on the lower right as an example. This will keep the five stars off of the turning edge.

And that's it. Here are the new wires with what I kept from the original. 123717

jeric_synergy
08-18-2014, 02:18 PM
I notice these are hexagonal holes: in general, are hexes more problematical than eight-side holes?

Surrealist.
08-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Main thing that is missing here are the buffer edges. You don't even want two edges connected to one point at the defining hole edge or along the outer edges.

You want something like this:

Where the outer edges have the buffer and do not connect to 5 edge points.

You can get away with all kinds of nasty stuff when it is flat:

Just remember to always give yourself the buffered and editable edge:

You always want a clean editable edge that defines the shape:

Keeping all + and - 4 edges off the editable edge - edge that defines the shape.

With the exception if the cross hatch which works perfect for corners and is 3 edges: