PDA

View Full Version : Dpont boolean shader-crashing and usage setup?

prometheus
08-13-2014, 10:24 PM
not sure if I doing this correctly

using a cube to cut in to a human daz mesh, both meshes double sided.

As I understand it you would need to set up both objects with the boolean shader? and plug the alpha output to the transparency channel.
I used the node in the human mesh and target it to the cube, and set that to inside.

for the cube I set it up to target the human mesh and set that to outside, and the alpha to transparancy channel...I suspect I am doing it wrong maybe.
and I get crashes..even if turning on threaded mesh evaluation, and I am testing in VPR, not sure if that causes it too?

lw 11.6.2 32 bit windows 7

dpont
08-13-2014, 11:51 PM
For the setup, there's a sample scene in the DPKit documentation,
why double sided geometry?
threaded mesh evaluation is for displacement only,
since the shader needs to preprocess
with the common limitations in this context,
this can be specific to your meshes/surfaces,
in this case you may try to isolate this yourself.

Denis.

prometheus
08-14-2014, 06:38 AM
Thanks denis, I forgot about the sample scenes in the dp kit.

the scene is working and double sided is on for the target object in your scene at least..which is needed.
threaded mesh..I was just going wrong.

Anyway...i set up my scene like the sample scene, but maybe the object is to complex or I used double sided on the wrong object?

Edit update, I redid it all with a simple box and sphere, work..and it works in vpr too, then I tried it with a more complex object... such as a daz figure, that has merged surfaces so thereīs only one surface in the daz figure, as soon as I turn on double sided
on the target object (sphere) lightwave crashes...I reckon it might have something to do with the daz figure anyway, if I donīt have double sided on the target object it will only be a hollow clip map showcased.

Michael

prometheus
08-14-2014, 06:53 AM
I think the crashes may have been due to having eyballs and mouth parts inside of daz figure that isnīt connected to the body, and at the same time using the same surface, so that means resurfing the eyeballs etc so
the boolean shader donīt get confused.

a tip..it might be obvious after some after thought, but I was thinking about the usage description in the boolean web page, maybe you should clarify that the shader node on both object, I managed to figure that out
after a little while and some clever thinking:) but for newbies it might look like you would only need it on on object...even though it is a two object boolean operation, just a suggestion on making it more clear on how to use it.

Michael

Ryan Roye
08-14-2014, 08:46 AM
The Boolean shader will usually crash Lightwave if you are in VPR mode while changing things that are utilizing the shader. (turn off VPR before altering the node setup.)

Also understand that the boolean shader is very, very slow. Only use it when you need to simulate animated booleans and have control over them. Use clip maps instead wherever possible as they render much faster.

prometheus
08-14-2014, 09:36 AM
The Boolean shader will usually crash Lightwave if you are in VPR mode while changing things that are utilizing the shader. (turn off VPR before altering the node setup.)

Also understand that the boolean shader is very, very slow. Only use it when you need to simulate animated booleans and have control over them. Use clip maps instead wherever possible as they render much faster.

Yes..I have noticed that it is unstable that way, so it might just be the safest way to keep that in mind.
And yes..a bit slow, I wouldnīt try to make vpr animated previews with it, that seem to be extremly slow, better of to render out to images for previews in this case, much faster than trying to have vpr refine it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDWiHQLAqI4&feature=youtu.be

Edit...I might have had to many aa samples...in fact I can now see that vpr are refining quite fast, must have been a glitch somewhere, so I really donīt think the shader is unbearable slow to use.