PDA

View Full Version : LW 8 - when, when, when can I....

jr_sunshine
11-25-2003, 12:58 PM
When, when, when can I .....

Try out all those cool new CA tools?

:D

hrgiger
11-25-2003, 01:13 PM
Oh boy, here we go again...

jr_sunshine,

We only know it is supposed to be released in 2003. That means we have at most about 40 days left to wait.

jr_sunshine
11-25-2003, 01:34 PM
I know.... I couldn't resist.

There are tons of new grrr-eight goodies just waiting to be taken advantage of....

Anyway

;)

SplineGod
11-25-2003, 08:20 PM
Theyre awesome. Every time I get to see a demo of them its always better and better :)

hrgiger
11-25-2003, 09:50 PM
Larry, have you gotten to mess around with the new animatable points in 8? Do they work along the same lines as Xtool or is it different somehow?

SplineGod
11-25-2003, 10:20 PM
Hey Steve,
I hope so. I havent gotten a firm answer on that one yet.
I like the way XTools points show up in the graph editor so smart skinning is easy to do. :)

cagey5
11-26-2003, 12:20 AM
LightWave 3D [7.5] DUO upgrade CDs from any previous version* and eyeon DFX+ for Windows with Module 1 (visual effects, stabilization, rotoscoping tools) & module 4 (Z-Depth blur, fog, 3D tools...). DFX+ is keyed to the LightWave dongle. Includes Free Download of LightWave [8] upgrade when available. Offer available only until LightWave [8] ships (planned late 2003/early 2004). * except LightWave Amiga versions

I found the above on Newtek Europe site. Now either this is the first sign of slippage or we may be getting it a bit later in Europe!

May not be a Christmas pressie I hoped for.

hrgiger
11-26-2003, 12:34 AM
Perhaps that's just for the UK. On the preview of LW8 in 3D world lately, Andrew Cross from Newtek said they would hit their mark of late 2003. I'm hoping anyway.

TyVole
11-26-2003, 03:40 AM
Perhaps the Panther bug has caused a bit of a delay.

In this day and age, you should take any software release date with a large chunk of salt.

jr_sunshine
11-26-2003, 05:27 AM
shhhhhhh..... all of you shhhhhh.

Only positive thoughts.... only positive thoughts.....

Proton.....

Please throw us a positive bone....

:eek:

cresshead
11-26-2003, 06:44 AM
yeah yeah yeah...but WHEN is lightwave 11 coming out???

doh!

[i'm still trying to get my head around lightwave 7.5!]

steve g

mrunion
11-26-2003, 07:22 AM
cagey5:

It seems that I recall that same timeframe mentioned in August of this year. It seems that later than that it was mentioned (someone on the forum mentioned this and I could DEFINITELY be wrong) that it should be here this year. Some speculated no later than Christmas, but I have not searched for that posting.

TSpyrison
11-26-2003, 08:15 AM
Well, because of Thanksgiving, today is my last work day till Dec 1st. Sooo.. I "should" be able to say.. when i come back to work, that 8 will be in my grubby little hands this month! ?

Bwa ha ha ha.... (evil laugh..)

WilliamVaughan
11-26-2003, 08:35 AM
NewTek's goal is to have it in December....so it shouldn't be to long.....

Dodgy
11-26-2003, 10:34 AM
MMMMM yummy :) Chocolatey goodness!

Knowing my luck it'll be the day I go to my parents for the holidays :P

<Sigh>

Matt
11-26-2003, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Jan/Feb '04, I'd rather it was slightly late and finished than on time and rushed.

Then it would be cheaper too because it will be in the sales!

:rolleyes:

Kvaalen
11-26-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Matt
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Jan/Feb '04, I'd rather it was slightly late and finished than on time and rushed.

Then it would be cheaper too because it will be in the sales!

:rolleyes:

I won't mind this either but I'm really afraid that if NewTek does this many people will bash yell and curse them. :(

As for me I am patient and I have a lot I can do with 7 already.
lets wait and see (and hope if you wish). :)

SplineGod
11-26-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Kvaalen
I won't mind this either but I'm really afraid that if NewTek does this many people will bash yell and curse them. :(

As for me I am patient and I have a lot I can do with 7 already.
lets wait and see (and hope if you wish). :)
I know what you mean. Theres certainly way too many people doing that already. Id rather see it solid and late. It wouldnt bother me. :)

jr_sunshine
11-26-2003, 01:47 PM
Yes... I agree too...

but...

newtek made a point of stating the Q4 2003 news. They wanted us to know. This is a huge departure for them. Yes, people will go bonkers if they miss the Q4 2003 target. Actually, I would guess that the closer it gets to Dec 25th, the more irittable people will get.

And....

If they are targeting a Q4 2003 date, the code for the app should already be in a hand's off mode. The entire app should be ready to go at this point. The developers should NOT be doing any "getting it right" programming at this point. If that is the case they should just say that 8 will not be available until March 2004. Because if they are still coding at this point you can almost guarantee a point release to fix bugs introduced during last minute programming.

The stuff they should be doing at this point is getting the install ready and the content ZIP/RAR complete, and preparing the hosting bandwidth for the flood of downloads, etc, etc.

hairy_llama
11-26-2003, 03:17 PM
"I know what you mean. Theres certainly way too many people doing that already. Id rather see it solid and late. It wouldnt bother me. "

I would rather have it now in any form, and then as soon as its stable just get a bug fix upgrade, that way ppl who want it now can have it and the others can wait till it is stable :)

robinson
11-26-2003, 04:48 PM
I really hope you waiting for a real final release !!!

Please never ever release a 8.0 "b" release !!!
Don't wanna see "b" release again !!! :rolleyes:

hrgiger
11-26-2003, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't mind if it was late myself either. I don't know how soon I'll be able to scrape up the $500, not to mention if I want the manuals and box, and of course I have to get my copy of Inside Lightwave8.
I'd also love to take advantage of the eyeon deal and who knows how long that will be going on.
But at the same time, I'd really love to see them meet their Q4 date. First just because I'm anxious to see the new version whether in my hands or hearing from other users here with their copies and also just because the whining will be heard around the world if it's not here by end of 2003.

cresshead
11-26-2003, 06:00 PM
don't expect the complaints to stop when it ships!

first there'll be the:

1.not enough bandwidth to download
2.when's the spanish docs coming out then?
3.i want the u.i to look like 5.6 not 8....
4.how can i now charge for a "day to rig" now that it takes 4 seconds to do the same in lw8...?
5.why didn't lw 8 have **** feature?
6.when will the box and manuals arrive
7.will there be a lightwave for linux 64 bit soon or what?
8.****'s lscript doesn't work in lw 8...
9.just when will lw8 get renderable splines?
10.will lw 8.5 be compiled for apple 64bit native?
11.when will there be a link/plugin for mental ray

blah blah blah....

see...the moaning won't stop ....just change gear n direction!

steve g

TSpyrison
11-26-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by cresshead

But if we didn't have anything to moan about, what would we all do?

Oh.. animate maybe.. :D

badllarma
11-26-2003, 11:50 PM

blah blah blah....

steve g

:D are but the thing is will anyone be here reading or all be on the PC/Macs playing with LW 8 :D oh and of course trying all the new stuff in all these book that will be appearing :D
ordered Inside LW 8 already
Leighs will be next on the list :D

takkun
11-27-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by hairy_llama
I would rather have it now in any form, and then as soon as its stable just get a bug fix upgrade, that way ppl who want it now can have it and the others can wait till it is stable :) Noooo! Please no! Tell me you were joking! NOOOOOoooooo!!!!!

Sorry, just having horrible Animation:master flashbacks. If you want a 3d software that gets released when it's not done, then you might like A:M. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Paying customers should never be beta testers when a product is released unless they volunteer to be a tester.

Matt
11-27-2003, 02:45 AM
3. I want the UI to look like 5.6 not 8....

Whatchya talkin' 'bout! It does look like 5.6!

SteveM
11-27-2003, 05:56 AM
I'm excited about the release as well, but I would much rather wait for it a little longer if it means less bugs/problems - so much better in the long run

jr_sunshine
11-27-2003, 08:44 AM
I'd like to know how many of you who are "ok to wait" have already purchased your upgrade?

If you have not, then sure... its just fine by you.

The point I was making earlier is RIGHT NOW (ie: this very fricken minute) LW 8 should be just sitting there for NewTek to package it (get it ready for download) and wait until their official release day to deliver it to our grubby hands.

If NewTek is, as some of you say, taking their time to get it right then, they should just burst our bubbles now and say it will not be out until April of 2004. They should have stopped all development a least a month ago to ensure the product is solid for release. They should NOT be in a getting it right mode at this point. Otherwise, a dec 2003 release is comical and does resemble that land some of us have so carefully treaded in the A:M camp.

So the idea of waiting to get it right is kinda absurd if you believe the product is close to release.

Noclar7
11-27-2003, 08:56 AM
We ordered the upgrade a couple weeks before siggraph and I'm ready to rip my own head off. I (for some unkown reason) thought that it would be available shortly after siggraph. I didnt ask, I just assumed. hence, I'm a little bit quirky.

archiea
11-27-2003, 11:18 AM
Also note that proton said that it was to be released by dec, he didn't specify if it was dec 2003 or dec 2004!!!!!

jr_sunshine
11-27-2003, 12:30 PM
dolt !

Kvaalen
11-27-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by archiea
Also note that proton said that it was to be released by dec, he didn't specify if it was dec 2003 or dec 2004!!!!!

Yeah but there was a news letter or something (I already forgot what) that stated it will come out in less than 72 days of then.

I know what you said was joke, but still. :)

mcewan7
11-28-2003, 05:50 AM
In this months issue of 3D World there is a news article for a UK based software distributor that is holding a Lightwave 8 Demonstration day on 9th December in London.

I know it doesn't mean anythings for certain, but its a good bet that Lightwave 8 could be available shortly after that.......maybe :)

dww
11-28-2003, 05:29 PM
Anybody know if LW's dynamic bones feature will recognized constraints/limits on bones?

archiea
11-28-2003, 07:55 PM
Kvaalen, was that 72 business day or just 72 days... hmmmmm....

badllarma
11-29-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by mcewan7
In this months issue of 3D World there is a news article for a UK based software distributor that is holding a Lightwave 8 Demonstration day on 9th December in London.

I know it doesn't mean anythings for certain, but its a good bet that Lightwave 8 could be available shortly after that.......maybe :)

I would not get too excited about this one the guys in LA had there preview a few weeks ago. :) And no sign of it oer there yet.

private
11-29-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by proton
NewTek's goal is to have it in December....so it shouldn't be to long.....

Will the manual also be ready when the software is released?

Hervé
11-29-2003, 04:01 AM
they better hurry, lots of LW'rs are moving everyday.... I just had a test with XSI, well it sounds complex and I am sure it is but LW sounded very complex the first time I opened it....

I've been making some accounting today, and so far between LW itself and all plugins
(X_dof, Hyper smooth, Shadow designer, grass generator, tree designer, leaves generator, fire &smoke, Sasquatch, rounder, etc), i am approaching the $4,000, and xsi is $4,000 now, ok base version, but still.....

so hurry nt......he he

WilliamVaughan
11-29-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by dww
Anybody know if LW's dynamic bones feature will recognized constraints/limits on bones?

Yes it does :)

jr_sunshine
11-29-2003, 09:45 AM
Hey Proton ....

I just got a chance to try the Messiah Animate 4.0 demo and I must say I was quite impressed with the ease of rigging/setup. The concept of armatures and the auto rig is very nice.

Could you please compare the LW 8 setup features to M:A 4 setup features?

thanks,
Roy

Kvaalen
11-29-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by private
Will the manual also be ready when the software is released?

I heard but I'm not sure about it, that the manual will becomeing out later. :(

But from the screenshots it looks like there will be a much better help system.

CB_3D
11-30-2003, 09:09 AM
the armature stuff can already be done now in 7.5. Not as automated, maybe, and with a little scripting involved, maybe.

The armature symbols overlay would be nice, though. That]s something i wanted in LW for a long time. I suppose something like that would use the same overlay channel as the sliders.

And redirecting selections could use the same functions proxypick does.

ngrava
12-01-2003, 01:27 AM
don't expect the complaints to stop when it ships!

first there'll be the:

1.not enough bandwidth to download
2.when's the spanish docs coming out then?
3.i want the u.i to look like 5.6 not 8....
4.how can i now charge for a "day to rig" now that it takes 4 seconds to do the same in lw8...?
5.why didn't lw 8 have **** feature?
6.when will the box and manuals arrive
7.will there be a lightwave for linux 64 bit soon or what?
8.****'s lscript doesn't work in lw 8...
9.just when will lw8 get renderable splines?
10.will lw 8.5 be compiled for apple 64bit native?
11.when will there be a link/plugin for mental ray

blah blah blah....

steve g

You forgot:

1. When will LW have faster GI!
2. When will LW have N-gons!
3. When will LW have edge selection!
4. When will LW fix UV mapping of Subsurfaces!

And lets not forget the question that will get asked the most starting on the day of the LW8 release,
5. When will LW 8.5 be out!

-=GB=-

denny
12-03-2003, 05:30 PM
Did anyone get this email?

The last paragraph states that Santa will show up early. So, for all you that keep asking "when it will be released?" I think they have tipped their hat a little.

Then again, who knows... just thought I would share.

Another humorous thing is that I am apparently now named "150". I think this might be some forum id or something? It's not from any preferences I set.

Date: December 3, 2003 6:06:08 PM EST
To:
Subject: Great Savings for the NewTek Community

Hi 150

Dear NewTek Community Member:

The holidays are getting closer -- are you on your own gift-giving list? Buy yourself something special this season that?s fun to use and will increase your bottom line throughout the year. What could it be? Well, LightWave 3D, of course!

We?re featuring some killer deals this winter:

LightWave 3D for Mac Print Designers ? 50% off of LightWave 3D [7.5] if you own a qualifying product! Find out more --> http://www.newtek.com/print

Pre-order your upgrade to LightWave version 8 and get free DFX+ immediately! DFX+ is the industrial-strength compositing system that you can?t live without if you need killer output! See more (be sure to check out our video tutorials, too) --> http://www.newtek.com/eyeon

Order a full version of LightWave [7.5] and get free DFX+ with a free upgrade to LightWave version 8! Save over 50% on this limited-time deal. See more --> http://www.newtek.com/buynow/software/lightwave+dfx.html

Better yet, you can pick up any of these great deals without leaving your seat ? Right Now! Just surf on over to http://www.newtek.com/buynow and make your purchase on-line using our secure server. Santa will show up at your door early in 1-2 weeks!

-----------------------------------
Sorry, these offers are only good in the continental United States. For great deals on NewTek products worldwide, visit our reseller directory at http://www.newtek.com/dealers/international.html
You were sent this email because:
1. We like you, and
2. You are a valued member of the NewTek community. If you would like to be removed from our notification list, simply log in to NewTek?s discussion board, click ?User CP? at the top of the page, and edit your Messaging & Notification Options.

robinson
12-03-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by denny
Did anyone get this email?

The last paragraph states that Santa will show up early.

They might talk about DFX+ !!! :eek:

SLAYER
12-03-2003, 05:45 PM
I think it is meant for LW because I got DFX in about 3 or 4 days not 1 or two weeks.

Just hoping and crossing fingers.

robinson
12-03-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by SLAYER
Just hoping and crossing fingers.

My fingers are already bleeding….:rolleyes:

mrunion
12-03-2003, 08:17 PM
FWIW:

1) I was #92, and
2) I thought they might have been talking about DFX+ for the 1-2 week thing too!

I read in another post (one about the Discovery Edition) that the person e-mailed Newtek and Newtek said that the Discovery Edition wouldn't be available again until after LW8 is ready in January.

HOLD ON!! I don't know whether they are saying that LW8 will be ready in January, or LW8 DE will be ready in January.

I am anxious to the point of nausea of this waiting.... (and I don't mean that in a bad way! This is not one of those "anger" posts!)

jr_sunshine
12-03-2003, 08:49 PM
Well, proton has stated publicly numerous times the release date is 4Q 2003. In his most recent post, he said again December is what they are shooting for.

I placed my order for LW8/DFX+ back in June and am anxious too. I hope they can deliver on their Dec 2003 timeframe.

If they don't they will get those angry posts. And... it will probably be the last time we get so much openness about a forthcoming release. So, I hope LW8 shows up in 1-2 days instead of 1-2 weeks.

WizCraker
12-03-2003, 09:18 PM
I think I remember seeing that message but I deleted it as it did not say Download Lightwave 8 now from here.

petermark
12-04-2003, 09:08 AM
I'm number 9052, according to Newtek! Haha, I wonder how they ended up doing that?

I also just ignored the email cause it didn't say I could download now. I ordered the DFX deal in July... still waiting... it's all good, though. I'm moving and won't have my machine till mid-January, so I just hope I have it by then!

ghopper
12-04-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by denny

Another humorous thing is that I am apparently now named "150". I think this might be some forum id or something?

That is probably your record id in the newsletter database. Someone didn't do their job properly ;)

Should be a quick fix though. Oh well, our names will appear in the next newsletter, I don't think that newtek considers us as numbers only ;)

jat1
12-04-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by jr_sunshine
When, when, when can I .....

Try out all those cool new CA tools?

After I get it if i can affrord the dam thing!!!!

Student - must get a job!!!! oh well only 4 weeks to go before we see its full capability...

And do u know what rocks?> It comes in grey! :D

WizCraker
12-04-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by jat1

Student - must get a job!!!!

That is what Credit Cards are for, Buy now be in debt for the rest of your life.

FenrirWolf
12-04-2003, 12:12 PM
I got that email too! (I'm #1282, woo, that means Newtek clearly likes me better than you, Peter! j/k)

Yeah, my guess is they're talking about LW8, as I've got DFX+ just a week after ordering the upgrade too. That's kept me busy, along with trying to figure out how to work around buggy UV mapping for subpatch surfaces. ;)

I've seen the Siggraph videos. That's some real sweet stuff there. Maybe integrated hardbody dynamics and the new IK stuff will make me a better modeler!

... Hmm, probably not! :)

petermark
12-04-2003, 12:22 PM
Dang, why am I the only one that's got such a high number?? Maybe it's the bytes/sec speed that they're going to let eachperson download LW8 at... SO THERE! ;)

Wow, that would be slow. I haven't downloaded at 9kb since I had a 36kb modem!

I second the credit card recommendation. That's how I bought my DFX/LW8 pack last summer. Luckily I've been able to pay it off since... now I gotta find something else to splurge on!

jat1
12-04-2003, 01:11 PM
i dont want to get into any sort of debt, cause if i got the chance to spend the money, Ill probably hit the limit un a few days gonig on a spending spree, and i rather not use half my life to pay it off!!!

Thank god for lw being cheap, since maya unlimited cost 5 grand, and complete costs more than lw. I'd have to have an extra life to pay all that off, cause ill get a job to stack cans at a local grocery store!:eek:

Original1
12-04-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by jat1

Student - must get a job!!!! oh well only 4 weeks to go before we see its full capability...

And do u know what rocks?> It comes in grey! :D

Student are you kidding you get to buy the fully functional Educational version:D

Chuck
12-04-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by ghopper
That is probably your record id in the newsletter database. Someone didn't do their job properly ;)

Should be a quick fix though. Oh well, our names will appear in the next newsletter, I don't think that newtek considers us as numbers only ;)

We don't, and we did mess up when using the vBulletin mailer facility, so folks got addressed by the number vBulletin assigned them when they joined instead of by their username. Apologies, and do we feel silly! :)