PDA

View Full Version : Exporting part of a Quidam figure into Lightwave.

Paul_Boland
08-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Hi Folks.

I own Quidam 3 with the Lightwave exporter. Even though the company is gone, the software still works and still exports fully rigged models into Lightwave, all textures and all, just fine. With Quidam gone I have no where else to ask this question so I'm putting it here. I want to export part of a Quidam figure into Lightwave. Specifically, all I want is the arm and hand, with all the bone rigging and textures in place. I don't need the whole body. But I can't seem to find any way to just specify what I want.

Unlike Poser which gives you an entire body list and you can select specifically what you want, Quidam just exports the whole body. This is not what I want, I just want the arm and hand. I did try to cut the rest of the body away in Lighwave to leave me with just the arm and hand but this totally messed up everything.

Organic 3D modelling is an area of 3D I never mastered so now that I need an organic arm, Quidam seems the best way to go. I do own Poser 5 and 8 but neither export rigged figures and sadly my Poser 8 no longer works because it doesn't like Windows 8 or Internet Explorer 11 :(. So it's Quidam or I'm stuck. I did initially attempt to model the hand myself but as I said, organic modelling isn't my area at all, and what I came up with looks like a very blocky, very simplistic, robotic hand.

ernpchan
08-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Why does cutting up the model mess things up? I'm not familiar with what Quidam exports but if you get a model file, editing it in Modeler shouldn't be a problem. Then swapping the model in Layout should be straight forward.

prometheus
08-12-2014, 04:03 AM
Daz studio is free and make human is free, both can do rigs, I do not now specificly if you can export parts only though.

Michael

CaptainMarlowe
08-12-2014, 04:51 AM
If I were you, I would export the .lwo (without the bones and pehraps even without the weight maps, although it is not a problem, I guess) from Quidam, then just cut up everything in Lightwave (it shouldn't mess the UVs and textures) and use Genoma to add a simple arm rig. I just did a try with a quidam 2 character, and it worked pretty well.

prometheus
08-12-2014, 07:09 AM
If I were you, I would export the .lwo (without the bones and pehraps even without the weight maps, although it is not a problem, I guess) from Quidam, then just cut up everything in Lightwave (it shouldn't mess the UVs and textures) and use Genoma to add a simple arm rig. I just did a try with a quidam 2 character, and it worked pretty well.

Yeah I thought that should be an easy process too and the way to go, unless he wanted animation from the rig transfered too.

CaptainMarlowe
08-12-2014, 08:59 AM
Quidam did not animate, it was just exporting the rigging (just the bones and their weight maps, actually, so there was still some work afterwards to add the controllers and IK goals or to configure some IKB to get something really useable), but with Genoma, for something as simple as an arm, it isn't even necessary. Since the introduction of Genoma (and moreover with NevronMotion for mobcap), I have never used the Quidam bones/rigging export option anymore, although I still uses Quidam to generate characters.

Paul_Boland
08-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the replies. When I cut away the body from the arm in Lightwave, the rig and the textures get lost too. I didn't think about exporting the arm and cutting it up into pieces and rigging it manually myself, I might give that a try. I don't have Genoma as I'm still using Lightwave 10 but I should be able to do a manual rig regardless.

RebelHill
08-12-2014, 10:20 AM
You shouldnt need any of that at all... If you got the whole body mesh in layout, with bones, etc... you should simply be able to switch to modeler, delete the mesh chunks you dont want, go back to layout, and there it is.

Paul_Boland
08-12-2014, 01:59 PM
When you load a Quidam figure into Modeller the mesh is all on one layer with no way to select individual body parts to remove.

RebelHill
08-12-2014, 02:00 PM
Select the polygons?... no?

prometheus
08-13-2014, 07:19 PM
here´s lino showcasing a hand part made from genoma, then assigning weightmap to them and then controlling it in layout.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAyGZCqy_NU

Sensei
08-13-2014, 07:31 PM
What if you import model, then use Save Transformed Object, and then delete what is not needed?

prometheus
08-13-2014, 09:10 PM
as mentioned, just selected the polys needed for the arm/hand part and delete the rest, genoma has rig parts, including hand setups.

I would probably use daz studio though, to set up fingers and hand mesh so it is easier to pose, and as sensei mentioned, you can save transformed mesh from exported fbx file.

if exporting from daz in fbx format, you will also have weight maps already setup to use for genoma or use existing daz rig and just use forward kinematics, maybe simply just make the rest of the daz figure dissolve with clip map or surface transparency
..that way you can keep it all intact without having to delete body parts.