PDA

View Full Version : New papagayo beta released!

Chernoby
08-09-2014, 09:17 PM
http://youtu.be/OZpgnYhzdkI

PAPAGAYO JUST RELEASED NEW BETA! IT WORKS NOW ON NEWER OSX VERSIONS 10.6.8 AND ABOVE!

http://www.lostmarble.com/papagayo/index.shtml

jwiede
08-09-2014, 10:02 PM
Cool, this is one of the more valuable free tools out there, and Im really glad to see it receiving continued development.

CaptainMarlowe
08-09-2014, 11:36 PM
Fantastic news ! I mean it. Thanks for letting us now.

Hail
08-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Wow! How nice..:)
Thanks!

Chernoby
08-13-2014, 11:08 PM
Cool, this is one of the more valuable free tools out there, and Im really glad to see it receiving continued development.

I know, right? I had upgraded to Maverick like 5 months ago and had mild breakdown when I found papagayo no longer worked because of it.

CaptMarlowe I like your site:)

CaptainMarlowe
08-14-2014, 10:32 AM
Thanks !

Iaian7
08-14-2014, 09:33 PM
This is fantastic news! I used the Windows version of Papagayo on a project last year, and it saved days, maybe weeks of work on at least a hundred lines of cartoon character dialogue. It had to be run via Wine libraries in OSX, which wasn't ideal, but somehow worked...this should be much better. :D

djwaterman
08-14-2014, 09:54 PM
I've never used it because I just made the assumption it would give mechanical results, does it need tweaking afterwards or are the results mostly excellent?

Greenlaw
08-15-2014, 02:49 AM
Papagayo is kinda like a lite version of Magpie Pro, which is what I use for keyframing lip sync animation. Papagayo is generally thought of as an external tool for Anime Studio but thanks to Dodgy's i/o plugins, it supports Lightwave too. Either of these programs allows you to plow through a ton of dialog very quickly--much quicker than using Morph Mixer alone. You'll want to finesse the complete facial animation after you get the data into Lightwave, but the point is, these programs get you to that stage much sooner that with only Morph Mixer.

I prefer Magpie Pro because it's more fully featured--it has tools for tweaking mouthshapes and other facial features, and it allows you to animate with images or geometry. It can export animation data to Morphmixer or Anime Studio, among many other popular formats. It can even render images sequences, which is how I animated the mouths for Happy Box. (For 'B2', I exported Morphmixer files.) But then MP is a commercial program so it should do more.

Papagayo may give you the basics but it's still free.

To be clear, these are not automatic lip sync programs. Rather they are very efficient tools for manually keyframing mouthshapes to a audio track. To use them effectively, you should already have an understanding how to do lip sync animation.

(Actually Magpie Pro does have an optional automatic mode. It's okay if you really need results that quickly but I think it looks kinda mushy. I don't recommend this mode even if you intend to tweak the results. If you want a good base to work on for final animation, it's better to use the program in manual mode--the data will be cleaner and much more accurate.)

I experimented with the original Papagayo a long time ago but I haven't tried Papagayo 2 yet. I think the new version is mainly a rewrite for improved code and speed, and of course for Mac compatibility as mentioned above. I thought I read in the Anime Studio forums that version 2 is open for adding more phonemes, which is a big improvement over the old version.

G.

Chernoby
08-17-2014, 10:24 PM
I've never used it because I just made the assumption it would give mechanical results, does it need tweaking afterwards or are the results mostly excellent?

Pretty dang good straight out of papagayo. At most a syncing issue with a frame off for every 6th sentence, exaggerated speech will have to be tweaked (like yelling or speaking deliberately slow with mouth shaping every syllable), and it just does lip sync so the overall face will have to be keyframed but facial expressions dont change near as much as mouth phonemes.

Saves a boot load of time.