PDA

View Full Version : Babylon 5 reboot

saranine
08-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Interesting Ars Technica piece: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/08/j-michael-straczynski-wants-to-reboot-babylon-5-as-a-big-budget-movie/

Hmm...will it still use Lightwave?

A "favourite comment" :

But where are they going to find all the Amiga workstations for running Lightwave 3D?

Chuck
08-11-2014, 02:53 PM
If it's escaped your attention, LightWave 3D has been on Windows and other platforms since - well actually, since the time of the original Babylon 5 series. All the content created at that time is still capable of loading into the latest version of LightWave, as well. However, for modern day VFX I am sure they would rebuild the content at much higher levels of detail. :)

Sean Martin
08-11-2014, 03:59 PM
If it's escaped your attention, LightWave 3D has been on Windows and other platforms since - well actually, since the time of the original Babylon 5 series. All the content created at that time is still capable of loading into the latest version of LightWave, as well. However, for modern day VFX I am sure they would rebuild the content at much higher levels of detail. :)

Well at least they won't have to update the presets, which are still the same now as they were then!

sandman300
08-12-2014, 09:49 AM
I can't imagine how they could take the entire series and cut it down to a movie. It really will have to be a completely new animal. I'd still like to see it, I'd love to work on it.

LW_Will
08-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Wow... think about the vorlon ship with modern surfacing techniques. The mind boggles...

VIDandCGI
08-13-2014, 01:57 AM
If a Babylon5 reboot does make it through to green light I would imagine JMS will pen it more as a re-envisioned pilot for a rebooted series rather than try to squeeze the story arc into 90mins or so.
I'm guessing JMS will get limited support for this initial project and will likely have to fund a large portion himself supplemented by e.g..fan sources, etc. with WB perhaps providing limited resources with an option on the series IF the film does well.
Fan service will be abound with I'm guessing small nods to the original series, especially with ships named after or small plaques appearing that are named after those actors who sadly died - I hope they also remember the lesser legacies such as the ship named after a fan.
I would be pleased to see roles given to previous stars not as main characters, more as key bit parts essential to the arc letting new faces carry the story. It will be hard for those of us who grew with the show to see these familiar characters played by others, so casting will have to be strong and bold to allow them to shine in their own light as they will be compared to the originals.

LWG/Newtek should maybe contact any new production with the intention to develop an agreement whereby Lightwave and its assoc. technologies are maybe the primary tech used for the show. Not only does this provide a legacy link but I know the original series brought great acclaim to LW, bringing with it new users. Lightwave is used quietly on so many productions, it needs a main stream outlet where its use can be shouted out - let a new generation of yet-to-be 3d artists be inspired to take up LW.

Lito
08-13-2014, 09:27 PM
If you read what JMS posted, he only owns the rights for B5 Movies. A series reboot would require WB to be on board.

As a fan I definitely would love to see a reboot attempt, but I am a bit pessimistic about a movie reboot even if JMS could do something like a 5 movie run (1 for each year). Squeezing down ~22hours into 2 hours is going to remove a lot of what made B5 great in favor of action sequences. The episodic nature of B5 is what made it great, even when the main plot for the episode was so-so, the underlining character interactions, choices and consequences are what made you really care about the characters. Without most of those it will be hard to really care about the characters. I remember episodes that I really loved like the mad bomber one, I really didn't care much for the overall story, but when G'Kar and Londo were trapped in the elevator and how they interacted with each other basically made it one of my favorites. I can't see how they could put stuff like that into a movie, there just wouldn't be enough time.

VIDandCGI
08-14-2014, 02:34 AM
"If you read what JMS posted, he only owns the rights for B5 Movies. A series reboot would require WB to be on board."

which is why i wrote "with WB perhaps providing limited resources with an option on the series IF the film does well." - the issue over the rights has been a problem since way back leading to JMS trying to keep B5 alive under the various guises e.g..TV Movies, Spin Offs etc.

The original plot of B5 as movies simply won't work, even as a series of films - as you point out it will remove too many of the little moments that made the characters so impelling. I certainly don't want a series of made for TV movies spanning the plot as this would be terrible and probably feel like a half attempt at bringing B5 to our screens.

Like Firefly, B5 is a good series the fans want back. Both have creators I hope who will hold on until the right moment comes along before committing to a new series/reboot.

prometheus
08-14-2014, 10:49 AM
Wow... think about the vorlon ship with modern surfacing techniques. The mind boggles...

I had my favourites in the minbari garlic styled ships, but when you look at them now, I would rather see them surfaced and textured better, and maybe some insane uv displacement mapping techniques ala the alien vessel (juggernaut)
but with the main style a little bit intact.
http://www.gian-cursio.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/MWC_side_by_side_text.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY9vHdwUo98

Though I think it was some vorlon ship with itīs laserbeams and flares I first saw in some magazine, and read that the images was created with lightwave, and thatīs where I first heard about lightwave.