PDA

View Full Version : DP Marker Pen question / issue

Axis3d
08-07-2014, 08:39 AM
DP Marker Pen works fine if I animate the Pen reference null and keyframe it around. But I am trying to parent the Pen reference null to another null to get some more complex movements and shapes, except it does not generate the line or it makes the line relative to its own keyframes, not including the parent's movements. I've tried baking the Pen reference null out but that does not work either.

Anyone having success parenting the Pen reference null to another object?

jeric_synergy
08-07-2014, 09:50 AM
??? Once the world motion of the ref null is baked out, DP-MP shouldn't know anything about the heirarchy (cuz there isn't one), it's just straight keyframing.

Is the ref null, minus parenting WITH baked motion path following where it should???

(It's a puzzlement!)

Axis3d
08-07-2014, 10:16 AM
I'm beginning to think there's a weird bug in LW. After the reference null is baked, the keyframes are all there and correct. But as soon as I unparent it from the other null, the keyframes snap to a different path.

In other words, I'm doing a quick test with a spiral motion created by one null, centered, and rotating on its Heading. The other null (the reference) is parented to this, out from the center. It has two keyframes on its path to make the spiral movement.

I was hoping this effect would work without baking.

ernpchan
08-07-2014, 10:30 AM
It looks to work if you constrain a null to your pen null. This way you don't have to bake the motion.

Axis3d
08-07-2014, 10:36 AM
I tried that the first time, hoping to not have to bake the motion, but it does not seem to work.

ernpchan
08-07-2014, 10:43 AM
Hm, works for me. I just rebulilt my setup from scratch and it works. Is your constrained null set to 'World" in the constraint tab?

I'm on Windows and I notice you're on a Mac. Not sure that matters.

RebelHill
08-07-2014, 10:46 AM
Keys are always stored in parent space... Baking something then unparenting it wont leave you with the same motion... it'll leave you with the motion you'd have had if the parent were static. You need to constrain your "pen" null so it follows as if parented, and then bake that motion out.

Axis3d
08-07-2014, 11:58 AM
It looks to work if you constrain a null to your pen null. This way you don't have to bake the motion.

For some reason, I'm just not getting this. I definitely want to keep this effect "live" in the shot, and don't want to have to bake stuff. So, you're not parenting the pen null to the rotating null? Could you please explain your setup simply - I'm feeling a bit dense right now.

ernpchan
08-07-2014, 12:18 PM
For some reason, I'm just not getting this. I definitely want to keep this effect "live" in the shot, and don't want to have to bake stuff. So, you're not parenting the pen null to the rotating null? Could you please explain your setup simply - I'm feeling a bit dense right now.

I have 3 nulls.

A spin null which spins.
A pen null which is parented to spin and moves in an axis to create that spiral.
A constrain null which is position constrained to the pen null and set to 'World'.

My DP_Marker surface is using the constrain null.

Axis3d
08-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Got it. Its working now. Thanks so much for your help.

jeric_synergy
08-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Huh!! Is there a baker that has an option for baking keys in world space no matter the heirarchy of the object?

ernpchan
08-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Huh!! Is there a baker that has an option for baking keys in world space no matter the heirarchy of the object?

How would that work? If something is parented, it's still working in parent space.

jeric_synergy
08-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Perhaps I'm unclear:

Imagine a situation where an object is childed (really, it should be 'childed') to multiple parents -the classic example is a carousel horse, parents are POLE and TURNTABLE.

'World Baking" would result in keyframes on every frame in World Space, in this case a circular sinusoidal motion path in World Coordinates. Of course, once baked, if you moved the TURNTABLE.LWO the horse would still be following its circular sinusoidal motion path, assuming it was un-childed from the POLE.

I'm assuming that if one NEEDED "World Baking" (for whatever reason), one would naturally be un-childing the object in discussion.

I think transfer from one application to another, like LW>>AE might be eased by such a facility: all the items would get "World Baked", so there'd be no inter-app weirdness due to {insert math bugaboo}.

ernpchan
08-07-2014, 08:34 PM
That makes sense. But that's what constraints are for.

jeric_synergy
08-07-2014, 08:48 PM
And are far better, since they aren't a production cul-de-sac. Still between apps it might be handy.

I'm super glad someone asked this question.