PDA

View Full Version : Minimum actually use ram suggested for Lightwave question

yoshiii
08-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Hello I am building a new Z97 system with the i7 4790 cpu.

I will use Windows 8.1 64 bit as the OS.

I know from the Lightwave website it says 4 gigs of ram minimum for program.

But what is real world requirements? Is 8 gigs good or should I get 16 gigs?

Greenlaw
08-06-2014, 07:24 PM
Go for as much as you can afford--there will come a time when it still won't seem like enough. That said, it really depends on what you intend to render.

4GB is definitely minimal so forget that. My tablet PC has 6GB and I do modeling and prelight, scene setups and animations on this computer but I don't bother rendering final sequences on it.

My workstation at my home studio has about about 9GB, which I think is adequate for my my personal projects (https://vimeo.com/channels/littlegreendog/68543424) and much of my freelance work, but I sometimes wish I had double that. On the other hand, this 'limit' forces me to keep my scenes highly optimized and renderable by other computers on our small render farm.

At work, I have 24GB in my computer, which has been more suitable for rendering complex film fx at 1080p or 2k film res. Even then I try to keep scenes and objects highly optimized for quick rendering--in my experience, having a lot of RAM is no excuse to get lazy. :)

spherical
08-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Be advised that it is strongly recommended to get the memory in a tested set. Attempting to get 16GB now and adding another 16GB later, then adding another 32GB when you can afford it, most often will result in memory errors because the sticks were not certified to work together. When memory was not so fast and had a significantly different architecture, you could do this. Not anymore. May get lucky and happen to receive sticks that do work together but that's rolling the dice.