PDA

View Full Version : Scotty Chase: 2075 - Pilot Made Using Lightwave

DigitalSorcery8
08-06-2014, 02:44 PM
I donít know how many here would be interested in our pilot, but we could certainly use the support of the community. All of the characters were created using Aiko3 and Hiro3 in Poser along with all of the morph targets for lipsyncing. We used motion capture for most of the biped motions and Lightwave for setup and rendering. It was made with many DAZ and Renderosity items to reduce production time. Most have been slightly altered and re-textured. Essentially if we end up producing more episodes we will be remodeling ALL of the assets. The voice talent are all professionals in the field and the main character has even been voicing for a national TV spot.

We know that itís VERY rough animation-wise - but as essentially the work of one person who is not a professional in this field, itís not too bad. ;) Weíre VERY aware of the shortcomings of this pilot - rough animation and story pacing among other things - but it was pretty much a test project to evaluate a pipeline and the desire to tell a story.

The pilot is currently being broadcast online for free - you can see where at our show website - www.scottychase.com.

We would GREATLY appreciate any and all positive reviews on the broadcasting website (ScreenHits) and even on our Facebook page which can be reached via our show website. Please tell as many as you can - the more positive ratings we have, the better chance weíll have of producing more episodes. AndÖ with an actual dedicated crew (of writers, animators, compositors, editors, etc.) the quality will increase by an order of magnitude - or three. :) While we know that Maya is "the king" of this sort of CGI, we've been using LW for a long time and for what we need it to do, it does well. Hopefully you can help us with positive ratings. One of our own artists here - Phil Nolan - helped out by retopoing all of the main characters clothing that was very poly-intensive.

Our goal is to create a low budget kids show that will be broadcast/webcast on several venues. Positive ratings will seriously help us towards that goal. And... we'll be hiring from this forum. :)

Thanks for reading!

DigitalSorcery8
08-07-2014, 03:22 PM
Nice to see all of the comments and support from the LW community.

Over the years here I actually thought that this community really supported LW artists. :(

hazmat777
08-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Looks interesting and has potential, keep going!

Sorry we weren't able to hook up for some voice acting, but now that I've seen the pilot, my voice would probably be to "old" unless there are more characters to be written.

Triodin
08-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Heyo. I must have missed this post yesterday. I'm checking it out right now. Here's the direct link for anyone else interested!

https://www.screenhits.tv/Viewers/Player.aspx?mediaID=E622FD56-9D37-42F8-AB53-21CF4CFD2A8D

Triodin
08-07-2014, 05:02 PM
About 25 minutes in - has a "Thunderbirds Are Go" feel - my 4 year old is watching and enjoying it along with me!

I keep spotting the same walk cycle in a few places ;)

Did you keep a production blog at all? Would love to see all the work that went into this!

DigitalSorcery8
08-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Looks interesting and has potential, keep going!

Sorry we weren't able to hook up for some voice acting, but now that I've seen the pilot, my voice would probably be to "old" unless there are more characters to be written.

If we do get a distributor or two, we will be producing MANY more episodes that will have many more characters. We've already got over a dozen plotlines ready and writers ready to go. I'm quite sure there will be "older characters" in future episodes. ;)

About 25 minutes in - has a "Thunderbirds Are Go" feel - my 4 year old is watching and enjoying it along with me!

I keep spotting the same walk cycle in a few places ;)

Did you keep a production blog at all? Would love to see all the work that went into this!

I initially patterned Scotty Chase after the old '60's Jonny Quest. But since "Thunderbirds are Go" is from the exact same time period - and I watched that show too - I'm not surprised.

Yup, same walk cycles. I did several treadmill walks for mocap since my mocap space was only 8'x8' - which also explains some of the foot slippage as well. If we move into production, we'll have a MUCH better mocap setup where we'll also be able to capture fingers as well.

Unfortunately I didn't keep any sort of production blog. And I regret that now because it would have been great to see all of the BS I went through and the troubleshooting of many problems. If we go inot production it's something I need to seriously consider.

Thanks!

***** Just imagine how this show wuld look with many of the artists from this forum working on it. (Paid of course.) The quality of the final product would increase by an order of magnitude - or three.

ernpchan
08-07-2014, 07:06 PM
I watched a little of it. There is a crazy amount of work here if this is really just one person which is impressive. I've seen worse done by a team of people. Yeah, there's some inconsistency in quality but overall it feels like every shot was given as much tlc as possible. Good luck with this project.

Davewriter
08-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Fun! And it did have that "family" Johnny Q - T Birds feel.
My only note would be that of pacing. That for more of a kids show, it would all need to be kicked up a notch or two.
That aside - well done Sir. Well done!

DigitalSorcery8
08-07-2014, 09:10 PM
I watched a little of it. There is a crazy amount of work here if this is really just one person which is impressive. I've seen worse done by a team of people. Yeah, there's some inconsistency in quality but overall it feels like every shot was given as much tlc as possible. Good luck with this project.

Fun! And it did have that "family" Johnny Q - T Birds feel.
My only note would be that of pacing. That for more of a kids show, it would all need to be kicked up a notch or two.
That aside - well done Sir. Well done!

I couldn't agree with both of you more. It's definitely not perfect, but I'm proud of it nonetheless. Many of the assets were purchased, refurbished, retextured and some seriously altered.

As to the pacing... again, 100% spot on. It needs to be MUCH better/MUCH tiighter for a kids show. While this took several years... it was still just a test project to see if I could do it. There are MANY things I would change, but if we get anyone interested in distribution I plan on having ALL assets remodeled and ultimately the quality will increase significantly. Hopefully we'll get to do just that.

But thank you - I sincerely appreciate the pat on the back. If we do get that distribution... we will be hiring quite a few LW'ers from this forum. While I know Maya is king, LW is more than sufficient to take on this kind of project.

Lewis
08-07-2014, 11:34 PM
This really is very very good work, such amount of work is done. Well done.

Only nitpick would be hands, they all hold hands wide like cowboys ready to draw gun when walking ;).

DigitalSorcery8
08-07-2014, 11:58 PM
This really is very very good work, such amount of work is done. Well done.

Only nitpick would be hands, they all hold hands wide like cowboys ready to draw gun when walking ;).

Thank you!

Yup, I hate the hands as well. I remember working on them ALLOT early on and thought I had them the way I wanted them. Then after rendering everything and editing it together I realized that they did not look quite as good as I "remembered." I'm not really an animator so I can easily claim being dumb. If we do get to make more episodes, I will be motion-capturing them too. For a simple show like this, mocap is definitely the way to go and saves an incredible amount of time. If I'd had to hand animate all of this, I'd still be doing it. I've seen some really great hand mocap captured along with the body so I'm confident that will work well. I used TAFA for the lipsync, but now I'm leaning towards mocap for that as well.

Again, thanks!

Triodin
08-08-2014, 08:31 AM
I'd think about popping open your video editor, tighten up a few scenes for pacing that you've always wanted to do - and then export and upload to Youtube.

That Screenhits.tv site has you too burried - I would have never found it and I'm always looking for finished lightwave work and trying to figure out how it was made.

With the right keywords and youtube description plus a tightened runtime, I think you've got the foundation for a really cool series! :D

DigitalSorcery8
08-08-2014, 03:23 PM
I'd think about popping open your video editor, tighten up a few scenes for pacing that you've always wanted to do - and then export and upload to Youtube.

That Screenhits.tv site has you too burried - I would have never found it and I'm always looking for finished lightwave work and trying to figure out how it was made.

With the right keywords and youtube description plus a tightened runtime, I think you've got the foundation for a really cool series! :D

Unfortunately ScreenHits now has control. Contract states no other showings. (Though right now The Venture Channel [free] on Roku IS showing it - they haven't taken it down yet.) Besides, it's not REALLY to show for everyone and I had to press to be able to "spread the word." It's primarily for distributors and special invites looking at producing new series. I don't know how they intend to work it, but I am locked in for the time being.

And thanks. I think it's a very interesting "universe" and we've got so many stories to tell it would be a shame if we didn't have that opportunity. Unfortunately it takes lots of time and a little bit of money and since I've already spent MANY years on this, unless there is a return now I can't take more time and money. And right now money is so tight I will probably have to find another job as well. ;)

tonyrizo2003
08-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Well done!! it certainly feels family friendly!! It will be exciting to see it mature, good luck!!

Emmanuel
08-11-2014, 11:51 AM
What do You mean "not by a professional" ?

tonyrizo2003
08-11-2014, 02:01 PM
It would be interesting to see your workflow, maybe you can post some tidbits from your production? Are you using motion capture? Since you have everything already built I am sure MoCap would help to speed things up for you especially facial MoCap. Ryan Roy did a tutorial about how he has done some good facial capture with Nevron Motion.

Another way to help you animate is maybe to identify the types of motions you need and reach out to the community to see if anyone who has Nevron can help you for some of the least complex motions, if you do not already have a library?

~Tony :)