PDA

View Full Version : Subpatched Into Separate Parts

Tony3d
08-06-2014, 11:07 AM
Hi All, I got around to making the speaker separate sub-patched parts, and put the duct port in by patching in a shape of the port I made.

JoePoe
08-07-2014, 10:44 AM
Tony, your subDs are looking much more organized and efficient. :thumbsup:

I only have three comments... (and the first two don't really impact this model at all. Just some things to remember for the future and get in the habit of.)

1) It's always nice (when the subject matter allows) to have a good centerline to the model. Makes for easy mirroring and re-symmetrizing.
So rearrange these quads to be the same as the woofer(?) hole.

2) six stars. On this model, on a flat section, you're not going to have a problem, but it's best to get in the habit of avoiding them (whenever possible).
I added a poly loop by grabbing that edge all the way around and hitting Edge bevel. 123559

3) this is the only thing that really should change. That 5 star (or as I am learning... also referred to as a weak spot) is right on a turning edge. Very easy to get pinching on something like that. Best to move that to the flat face. I added a couple of cuts first.... but try your multishift starting with the geometry between the pink edges I drew on your model (see my example).
This, of course, meant putting in a couple extra edges to keep the ends of the sub-woofer(?) perfectly hemispheric
..... which took me to twelve sides on the two main round elements instead of eight. 123561

Edit: And a slightly different arrangement. 123564

Tony3d
08-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Thanks Joe. Still very afraid to start trying this in my day to day work. Afraid if I get a model half done, then get stuck, I'll have to start all over using my old method. Guess it's sonething I'll have to get over.