PDA

View Full Version : Pre Siggraph: C4D R16 out....3d tracking integrated, Houdini Indie

m.d.
08-05-2014, 02:22 PM
some neat stuff in here

http://www.maxon.net/products/new-in-cinema-4d-r16/overview.html

Looks like Houdini is coming out with an Indie version this week as well

https://plus.google.com/105873843315236957662/posts

raw-m
08-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Some lovely parametric stuff going in in that C4d reel.....

tyrot
08-05-2014, 05:41 PM
C4D - looks cool indeed...good stuff - building motion tracking - is a very neat thing..

COBRASoft
08-05-2014, 07:05 PM
That 'LWCad'-alike stair tool looks amazing. The presets/content are stunning.
Oh LW, where are you?

Samus
08-05-2014, 08:14 PM
That 'LWCad'-alike stair tool looks amazing. The presets/content are stunning.
Oh LW, where are you?

Trying to figure out how to update that old archutecture that was killing them for quite a while... just hope they finaly merge both modeler and layout and make a version of lightwave as asked by the USERS
and not a road map off with todays reality.

Cheers

Samus
08-05-2014, 08:49 PM
BTW.... Can't wait to cheer like a Groopie when Lightwave 12 shows the peak of it's NOse... do not get me wrong...I love Lightwave like a good old girlfriend you know everything about and can start pointing wrong things about.

sigh...like Sigh-graph (Lame) lol

8 more days till Siggraph!

cheers

Lewis
08-05-2014, 11:43 PM
BTW.... Can't wait to cheer like a Groopie when Lightwave 12 shows the peak of it's NOse... do not get me wrong...I love Lightwave like a good old girlfriend you know everything about and can start pointing wrong things about.

sigh...like Sigh-graph (Lame) lol

8 more days till Siggraph!

cheers

Hmm, did i got it wrong or you expect to see some Lw12 info at Siggraph 2014 ?

CaptainMarlowe
08-06-2014, 12:54 AM
I will follow with quite some interest the idea of a Houdini indie.

raw-m
08-06-2014, 02:47 AM
Come on LW3dg, you have to show us something or you'll simply loose out!

Nice cogs and bevel procedurals - checkout the bevelling on boolean objects 6.10 on the Other Fun Stuff vid:
http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/tutorials/whats-new-in-cinema-4d-r16/

Impressive, but nothing that LW shouldn't be able to do. The question is when?

Lewis
08-06-2014, 02:50 AM
Impressive, but nothing that LW shouldn't be able to do. The question is when?

LW is not procedural or so paramteric so sadly it is something LW can't do without big updates/changes in code or to say it so "rewrite" :)

jwiede
08-06-2014, 03:32 AM
For modeling, the new Polygon Pen looks very nicely done. The workflows are very well thought-out, and the way it handles intersecting strips, etc. is impressively smart. It should be great for quickly blocking out geometry, and as a means for laying down quad strips constrained to background geometry it looks to excel for retopo work.

C4D's new Polygon Pen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFavxUCB7Ac) is a great example of how LW3DG should be approaching modeling: Instead of a bunch of distinct tools, each tool should offer broad capabilities across points, edges and polys, without getting bogged down into different editing "modes". Any LW3DG folks working on modeling tools should closely watch the Polygon Pen video from C4DCafe as it gives an excellent demo of the many different ways it can be used. IMO, despite offering a wide set of functionality, all the workflows and UX are put together in very intuitive ways.

Even some of the "smaller" changes, like the new Reflectance shading, are pretty sweet. I love Vray's multi-layered specular options, and it will be convenient having those in C4D's engine as well (and ought to allow much more accurate C4D<->Vray material conversions). The Embree physical engine really appears to crank through the new reflectance shading very quickly, so the penalty for using complex reflectance layerings appears quite minimal.

All in all, another very solid upgrade, and as I said, many of the "smaller" changes actually will represent rather substantial workflow performance boosts. My MSA is already renewed, so as soon as it releases, I'll be able to download and go.

raw-m
08-06-2014, 05:00 AM
Crapola! Straight from Illustrator, I could build a house in 20 secs! Gonna stop watching now....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VRbBz3QlHE&list=UUWhRfxKSqHU8hjx7mbmKVxA

wesleycorgi
08-06-2014, 05:36 AM
Crapola! Straight from Illustrator, I could build a house in 20 secs! Gonna stop watching now....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VRbBz3QlHE&list=UUWhRfxKSqHU8hjx7mbmKVxA

That is pretty cool. I do this kind of product/packaging visualization all the time in LW — of course, with dozens of more steps (rigging, weighting, etc.).

Lewis
08-06-2014, 05:41 AM
That is pretty cool. I do this kind of product/packaging visualization all the time in LW — of course, with dozens of more steps (rigging, weighting, etc.).

and converting/loading AI/EPS in old v8.0 only format or DWG and not being able to lad PDF etc. etc... yeah i do to but with quite more work in between to even get it in LWM ;).

prometheus
08-06-2014, 12:36 PM
yeah the new c4d polygon pen looks well implemented, also reminds a little of how easy it is to split poly and extrude/Push...just like in sketchup.
For lightwave 12 they should look in to something like that in the tweak tool and enhance that a bit more.

Michael

Samus
08-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Hmm, did i got it wrong or you expect to see some Lw12 info at Siggraph 2014 ?

Hopefully there cooking something for siggraph since they we're
asking for reels and what not.... so Yes something, cause they cannot ride on and on with 11, unless they go for an extra year to LW12.
But it's obvious they will loose ground unless to leap forward and above the others. C4D got some bad *** features indeed.

cheers!

jwiede
08-06-2014, 06:23 PM
yeah the new c4d polygon pen looks well implemented, also reminds a little of how easy it is to split poly and extrude/Push...just like in sketchup.
For lightwave 12 they should look in to something like that in the tweak tool and enhance that a bit more.

Just replace the "Tweak Tool" outright with a "Modeling Quill" tool that functions very, very similar to C4D Polygon Pen / modo Pen tool (lots of similarities between em, but C4D's is substantially more powerful and better workflows, etc. IMO). Tweaking would be available anytime the quill tool is active, essentially, so no need for a separate Tweak Tool.

Samus
08-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Just replace the "Tweak Tool" outright with a "Modeling Quill" tool that functions very, very similar to C4D Polygon Pen / modo Pen tool (lots of similarities between em, but C4D's is substantially more powerful and better workflows, etc. IMO). Tweaking would be available anytime the quill tool is active, essentially, so no need for a separate Tweak Tool.

I agree... and with Gizmo Handles PLEASE!! On all Transform , Multiply , Edit Tools .

:)

lightscape
08-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Not so impressed with the cinema4d update.

The houdini indie version is very very very interesting for 199 dollars a year with some limitation like 1080p res and 100k annual income.
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=244&Itemid=399

If they maintain that price then the cost for seven years is just like buying modo or lightwave.

CaptainMarlowe
08-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Wow, Houdini indie at 199$ per year is quite interesting. I think I will consider this VERY seriously...

Paul_Boland
08-07-2014, 02:07 PM
Wow, Houdini indie at 199$ per year is quite interesting. I think I will consider this VERY seriously...

That caught my eye too. All the tools are there, just minor limitations which for me aren't limitations. I've never used Houdini before and am downloading the demo now to check it out.

CaptainMarlowe
08-07-2014, 02:25 PM
I'm lacking time for learning a new app right now, but I will get a look at the free apprentice version anyway sometime in the next months. I don't like the annual subscription model, but for 199$ per year, I consider it more than worth a closer look.

Tropper
08-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Houdini Indie looks extremely tempting to me... :D

Only downside for me is that it comes with way too much features which I do not need and therefore is to expensive for me personally. But there is nevertheless a loud voice screaming in my head: "BUY IT!! DO IT! DO IT! NOW!"