PDA

View Full Version : DP Verdure

Philbert
08-04-2014, 06:55 PM
How come I've never seen this before? I played with it for like under an hour and had a couple of pretty good looking trees as well as some nice grass.

This thing should be talked about all over!

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Verdure/DP_Verdure.html

jeric_synergy
08-04-2014, 08:31 PM
It's pretty awesome: besides literal trees, I believe tree-like structures can be easily created, such as capillaries.

Philbert
08-04-2014, 08:53 PM
Good point about the other structures.

spherical
08-04-2014, 11:21 PM
How come I've never seen this before? This thing should be talked about all over!

No clue and it hasn't really been a close kept secret. Enter "verdure" into the forum search Search Single Content Type and you'll get 3 pages, totaling 57 threads.

jeric_synergy
08-04-2014, 11:23 PM
The deal is: about every 45 days you MUST go and check Denis' site. He's either 1) updated DPKit with more functionality, or 2) added an entirely different plugin.

Sadly, I'm still crashing Boolean like an s.o.b.

OnlineRender
08-05-2014, 03:59 PM
DP is great
http://youtu.be/G6sfl5kJlQs

jeric_synergy
08-05-2014, 06:18 PM
I'm just not smart enough to fathom much of the dox, sadly.

Philbert
09-28-2014, 12:56 AM
Has anyone used the Growth option? I'm working on a project it would be perfect for and it works well for the trunk / branches but not at all for the leaves.

dpont
09-28-2014, 04:39 AM
Has anyone used the Growth option? I'm working on a project it would be perfect for and it works well for the trunk / branches but not at all for the leaves.

Since leaves are not connected to the tree,
this is not possible,
but this is easy to setup with a morph,
in Modeler, add a new Morph map,
scale all points of the leaf Template to zero,
then use DP Foliage for adding leaves to the tree,
check 'inherit weight map' for driving the
scaling of the leaves synchroneously with
the growth animation of the tree.

Denis.

erikals
09-28-2014, 07:22 AM
very easy to use, at first try >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbF3axvRmEg

jeric_synergy
09-28-2014, 08:26 AM
I think maybe you want to GLANCE at the manual first. 8~

prometheus
09-28-2014, 12:32 PM
I recently installed plant factory ple from eonsoftware, gave it a go, but first impressions is that I donīt like the UI and how it looks in the end, it has of course parametric node editing and drawing of trees free handed and you can just set it to have dynamic wind and export it with that animation.

Even so...I will not jump in to plant factory, the output canīt be quad and thus dpont_verdures subpatching is better, there are things like drawing of roots on geometry that I need to try out in plant factory or speed tree, the options of creating huge hero trees with a lot of special designed roots is something I miss in dpont_verdure..maybe he could improve on the tree root branching options, many tree roots that follows underlying terrain and boulders and thar are slightly exposed are flowing above that terrain, and has both secondary or third generations of root branching, in dp_verdure I think we only got the option to create the main root branches.

I will take some time and test speedtree cinema with itīs new subpatch options..those looks awesome and the fact you can move and edit the branches in subpatch mode, and it will auto adapt the mesh fusion between the main trunk and the branches.
Though I would really make sure to have a big project for it to justify investing in the expensive speed tree in such case, otherwise dp_verdure will do fine meanwhile.
It is a bit problematic to verify how the quality is when ported to lightwave..from plant factory or speed tree, since it is limited with poly reduction/missing polyīs...so you canīt ge a proper mdd export for the wind animation in plant factory, and I guess the new speedtree subpatches
will look weird if you export it from speed tree with gaps in the subpatch.

maybe we could have a content preset site for verdure trees, that is with the skelegon branch and with premade cages within the object, donīt know where that content should be best placed though.

prometheus
09-28-2014, 12:41 PM
I did these a long time ago, and should have worked on it more for pine tree styles.
A simple cylinder cage around the main trunk can give easy pine trees, the trick is to find or create and place good pine leaf textures on the branches in a good realistic way, I didnīt go further with that on these..but the main
shape and branches are easy to do.

Michael

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=124515&d=1411929691

Philbert
09-28-2014, 03:58 PM

I think I understand. I was looking for something like this but I'll have to look closer at it.

Edit: OK I don't see anything called "Inherit Weightmap" but I see "Get Weightmap" I'm assuming that's what you meant. The leaf growing doesn't happen automatically but at least now I have a morph that I can manually animate after the branches have grown.

Edit2: Here's an animation test. one weird thing is that the pat that's growing is flat, I'm OK with that, but it has sharp corners. I wonder if there's a way to round them off.
http://screencast.com/t/7Skdk9ISi

dpont
09-29-2014, 04:15 AM
I ... Here's an animation test. one weird thing is that the pat that's growing is flat, I'm OK with that, but it has sharp corners. I wonder if there's a way to round them off.
http://screencast.com/t/7Skdk9ISi

Even with round extremity you will get weird result.

How about using the Scaling animation?
..Was a thin branch before becoming a trunk.

Denis.

bazsa73
09-29-2014, 04:41 AM
I did these a long time ago, and should have worked on it more for pine tree styles.
A simple cylinder cage around the main trunk can give easy pine trees, the trick is to find or create and place good pine leaf textures on the branches in a good realistic way, I didnīt go further with that on these..but the main
shape and branches are easy to do.

Michael

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=124515&d=1411929691

Nice one Michael.

prometheus
09-29-2014, 06:37 AM
Nice one Michael.

Ah..thanks...might look in to improving it with those special pine leafs, need to find and creat good ones, then research how they best can be applied as billboards, large or small ones etc.
might even upload it as content if I find the object files that is, canīt recall exactly where they are now after a lot of transfering of data etc...we will see.

As mentioned...we could use content siteīs for freebies and presets, I wish we could have it either here on the forums as community sections or at the lightwave3d page.

Michael

raw-m
10-02-2014, 04:21 AM
Are there any plans to bring this to the Mac. Denis?

3dworks
10-05-2014, 04:48 PM
Are there any plans to bring this to the Mac. Denis?

in case you need something more complete - but very similar - and ready for mac, check here: http://www.polas.net/trees/index.php

this doesn't mean that a mac version wouldn't be welcome ;-)

cheers

markus

raw-m
10-06-2014, 07:04 AM
That's nice, thanks. I've been using TreeSketch3 on the iPad! It's very good but not quite the same.

hunter
01-21-2016, 12:17 PM
Never mind. Found my answer in another thread.

jerel
03-30-2016, 11:27 PM
Since leaves are not connected to the tree,
this is not possible,
but this is easy to setup with a morph,
check 'inherit weight map' for driving the
scaling of the leaves synchroneously with
the growth animation of the tree.

Denis.

Hi Denis,

Where can i find or how can i make a leaf template?

I'd like to grow leaves and can't figure out where these are except as an option in the foliage plugin.

many thanks
jerel

dpont
03-31-2016, 12:06 AM
Hi Denis,

Where can i find or how can i make a leaf template?

I'd like to grow leaves and can't figure out where these are except as an option in the foliage plugin.

This is shortly described in the Foliage chapter in the pdf doc,
put or create the shape template in a separate layer,
must be at the correct size and Z+ oriented,
select it as a background layer,
when you launch the Foliage tool.

Denis.