PDA

View Full Version : Using instances question.

djwaterman
08-04-2014, 02:26 AM
I have a large complicated model made up of a lot of layers and I've been trying to get instances to mirror in Layout to reduce render times, because a lot of this geometry is symmetrical, but I think it might be a dead end.

So given I might not be able to do this I was wondering if this is a valid method to speed up rendering, if I clone instance every one of those layers, and then hide all the originals and move them off camera, leaving just the complete instanced version in view, does this actually speed up rendering or is it the same as rendering the original?

djwaterman
08-04-2014, 04:46 AM
To clarify, is there any benefit to using instanced replacements of the geometry in your scene and hiding the original geometry? I'm not talking about replicating many instances of the original, just a one to one replication.

Lewis
08-04-2014, 05:07 AM
If you don't need 2 or more i don't see benefit then 'coz you'd still use RAM to load main object and textures (one to be instanced). Actually it'll be worse for memory consumption 'coz you'll need some (little but still) for Instance also.

djwaterman
08-04-2014, 06:24 AM
Okay thanks, I was testing it and I don't think it sped anything up. Anyone know if you can get geometry to be mirrored using instances?

Lewis
08-04-2014, 06:39 AM
Okay thanks, I was testing it and I don't think it sped anything up. Anyone know if you can get geometry to be mirrored using instances?

yes you can (still you might have normal map problems, i've not tested that).

here is simple test scene/setup

djwaterman
08-04-2014, 08:10 AM
Thank you Lewis, I think that's working, I put a normal map on it and both sides are reacting to light correctly. The main thing you did was to set its scale to -100 and to rotate its pitch by 180, correct?

djwaterman
08-04-2014, 08:16 AM
Yep. that's definitely working, I had made a few attempts myself before but your settings are what I was trying to achieve. I'm indebted to you.

Lewis
08-04-2014, 08:47 AM
No problem, I'm glad it helped :). And yes i did scale negativ and rotated, just be sure to set at uniform mode instead random (default)

djwaterman
09-13-2014, 02:47 PM
I'm just updating this thread to link to a quick tutorial I made to show the technique that Lewis showed us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wubYNWfU9vo

vonpietro
09-15-2014, 09:59 PM
very cool, thanks

jeric_synergy
09-16-2014, 09:47 AM
#aflw Why does the Pitch need to be inverted?