PDA

View Full Version : Can you mirror instances?

djwaterman
08-04-2014, 12:47 AM
I'm in the process of building a large space ship and it is now getting to the point that it would be nice if I could actually mirror some of the geometry in Layout with instances, just to speed rendering and reduce the polygon count.

I've been testing out the possibility, using negative scale values on the instance, effectively turning the object inside out or backwards, there then comes the problem of normal maps working the opposite of how they should, and precise scaling values are not easy to evaluate.

Is there a quick standard technique out there for doing this, like the mirror function but for instances? Sure would make sense to be able to do that, perhaps a node solution or something?

dulo
08-04-2014, 08:02 AM
Yes you can ..
Its a bit weird but as far as i can remember you have so use stretch -200 to flip on this axis...
I have to look up the settings but I definitely can remember that it was possible.

dulo
08-04-2014, 08:08 AM
Ok .. just checked .. it was stretch minus 200 for the axis along which you want to mirror.
Or you can use DPInstancer . I think there is was possible to just use size -100 on the desired axis ..

djwaterman
08-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Thanks Dulo, Lewis answered my question in another post and also provided a scene, http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?142867-Using-instances-question&p=1393147#post1393147

This is really useful for so many things where you have a lot of heavy symmetry in a model. Have a look, it was a very simple solution.