PDA

View Full Version : Need more node help

Dan_Ritchie
08-01-2014, 03:44 PM
I want to access the surface color, specular, and other attributes from the surface panel in a node. Is that possible, and is there somewhere I can find out more about node node editor. I've gone through the manual as many times as I can stand. I would also like to know more about the "Raytrace gemoetry" node, which doesn't seem to be documented.

Mr_Q
08-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Hey Dan!

If I understand your question correctly, you can't access nodes from the Main Surface Editor's channels unless you go in to a "T" and for procedural type use "node." Now that surface texture channel will be tied to a node flow you make. Note, this node will be separate from any node flows you made back "outside" using the Node Editor for that surface.

Or if what you meant was you want to be able to build a node using the surface editor's "T" type layers, that's what the LAYER nodes are for. You have Color, Scalar, and Bump nodes. You can go in to them and use them like classic Surface Editor texturing and then connect them where needed.

Ray Trace geo fires off rays to hit polysurfaces. It's used in conjunction with other logic, caster, and switch nodes.

Dan_Ritchie
08-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Is that you, Q?
No, on both cases.
I want to make a node, and have the surface panel more-or-less be the front end for it. ie, if the user changes the color of a surface in the surface panel (say, he makes it orange) then I want my nodes to be able to be aware of that, and access the surfaces color, and have my node do whatever it needs to do to use that color. I don't want the node editor to be a complete replacement of the surface panel. If a user makes a color, specular, or etc. change on the surface panel, I want my nodes to be able to be aware of it.

Mr_Q
08-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Yeah the only way I know to get close to that is the procedural node for the channel in the surf ed. So they'd have to run to it every time. Nodes are otherwise "unaware" of the surface editor. Save for the, advanced, and environment tabs.

Yes, it is I....Q. :)

pinkmouse
08-02-2014, 02:37 AM
Is that you, Q?
No, on both cases.
I want to make a node, and have the surface panel more-or-less be the front end for it. ie, if the user changes the color of a surface in the surface panel (say, he makes it orange) then I want my nodes to be able to be aware of that, and access the surfaces color...

But what colour? Say I had a nodal brick wall texture. I might have three or four colours in my mortar, three or four others for my bricks, (potentially many more if using the IFW2 region nodes), so what does the Surface Editor colour control connect to?

Yes, nodal workflow needs some improvements, I would be the first to say that, but I don't see how tying it to regular, old fashioned surface controls will help. If it's just down to accessibility, there is a third party plugin somewhere that bypasses the surface editor and just opens up the nodal network when a surface is selected. Sorry, I can't remember what it's called.

Dan_Ritchie
08-03-2014, 02:41 PM
But what colour? Say I had a nodal brick wall texture. I might have three or four colours in my mortar,

Well, it would be "nice" to have a function that resolves the regular surfaces, but that's not what I'm asking for anyway. Just the surface color specified in the surface panel. If the user selects orange, I want my node to adapt to it.

Yes, nodes are wonderful and great and I love them. But for users who don't know my nodes (and I can get some complex ones) I want them to be able to specify a surface color or specular value, and my node will be able to read it and adapt to it.