PDA

View Full Version : Hide instance parent?

objuan
08-01-2014, 03:17 PM
Just starting to dabble with instances, and me LIKEY!

However, I want to be able to hide the source object, and still see my instances?

I have a ring object spinning around, offset from the origin a bit and twisted.
I have a null with Instance Generator on, instancing my ring to create a spinning uber-donut. Cool.

I can move/rot/scale the null and position the ubernut so that it is where I want it in my camera I brought in from an old AE scene (thanks for the help folks), but at various points the original ring shows up in my camera where I dont want it. If I hide it, I hide my instances. If I move it, I throw my instances out of the position I want them in.

This image probably helps, the swirl in the top left is my original. At other points it overlaps my goods, so I cant just comp it out in AE

Any help would be appreciated.

ernpchan
08-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Uncheck the parent in the Scene Editor.

jeric_synergy
08-01-2014, 03:57 PM
Geez, this question comes up so often, MAYBE the default should be that the source object (not 'parent') automagically gets hidden/unhidden depending on if it's being used as an Instance source or not.

DEFAULT, not "required". :chicken: :chicken: :chicken:

I'd prefer this way, rather than the functionally equivalent inverse, a "Hide Source Item" ('Item' in case we can ever instance things other than 'Objects') in the Instances panel. --Tomatoe, tomahtoe.

So:

[_] Hide Source Item

vs
[_] Show Source Item

objuan
08-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Thanks. I always forget about those handy little check marks.

A significantly more elegant solution that the work around i came up with of parenting everything but my Ring Object to a null and moving it way off in space.