PDA

View Full Version : Texturing Models with UV Maps the EASY WAY (Tutorial) Part 2 Spec and Bump Maps

Chernoby
08-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Beginner Lesson: Quick and Easy technique to texture models (for this tutorial a tank) with an atlas UV map using Photoshop and Lightwave.

This is a intermediate to expert level look boiled down and made easy for a newb.

We will use the Color Map made in the previous tutorial to quickly create a Specular Map and a Bump Map using a Photoshop trick that cuts down on A LOT of time and effort. This process in real time should only add about a minute or two to the overall texturing process, but we will learn a bit of surfacing theory that you can apply to all of your texturing from here on out.

http://youtu.be/3UXC-NVGQl0

djwaterman
08-02-2014, 08:33 AM
Nicely explained tutorial for beginners that also contains useful info for professionals. Thanks for taking the time to make these.

Chernoby
08-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Glad there was something useful in there for ya. Next tut I'll probably encourage newbs to take the nodal plunge.

And using the same method with nodes let's you get WAY more detail since you can make the initial image map "repeat" or "mirror" on the UV map as many times as you need.

TwoCoins
08-03-2014, 09:47 PM
thanks so much for these. its a pain trying to arrange polys on a detailed model in that little uv space... and I never really got the atlas mapping thing sooo yea. you rock.

ps node tuts are always useful:)

djwaterman
08-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Would you consider doing a part 3 that shows using the nodes? I know it takes time to do these tutes.

Chernoby
08-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Would you consider doing a part 3 that shows using the nodes? I know it takes time to do these tutes.

I will do it, and 'let the English see me do it' (Braveheart). It'll be for more detailed models closer to the camera. Also will do a rigging tut for a hover vehicle that acts like a baja car as soon as I get the rigging down myself.

JamesCurtis
08-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Thanking you in advance.

GoatDude
08-04-2014, 08:45 PM
I would also like to thank you. I am very weak at texturing.

robertoortiz
08-05-2014, 12:19 PM
Great tutorial
Thanks!