PDA

View Full Version : Node editing ideas

Dan_Ritchie
07-31-2014, 02:42 PM
I've been delving into the node editor to create new lighting models. I've had a few thoughts, but I haven't completely absorbed everything, so some of this might already be possible.

LERP would be a useful scaler function even though it's not a traditional math function. A day doesn't go by that I don't need to lerp something.

it would be useful to set raytrace to raytrace to a short distance. If you're doing ambient occlusion, far away objects don't make a significant contribution and it could speed things up.

It would be helpful if many of the "functions," including things like gain and smoothstep had scaler and vector equivalents. Ok, there's a scalar smoothstep.

The ability to create a random vector would be very, very useful. There's random scaler, but not random vector.

It would be nice if there was a node to randomize a normal easily. You can do it, but it requires a lot of extra steps.

If you entirly replace the diffusion of a surface, it would be cool if there was still a way to add back in the original shading.

Sensei
07-31-2014, 05:12 PM
The ability to create a random vector would be very, very useful. There's random scaler, but not random vector.

It would be nice if there was a node to randomize a normal easily. You can do it, but it requires a lot of extra steps.

See TrueArt's Node Library http://www.trueart.eu

Dan_Ritchie
08-01-2014, 01:08 PM
I see I can do a lot of those things with compound nodes. Brilliant!