PDA

View Full Version : 860 Features

fox56wolf
07-30-2014, 06:49 PM
Just upgraaded from an 855 to an 860, and in playing around with the new features, I came across some things that I would like to see.

Buffer Advance

I would love to be able to hit the Buffer button repeatedly, and have it advance through my buffers. It gets confusing when I press Buffer, and the buffer I want isn't there. If I could just keep pressing the button until I saw what I wanted, it would be great.

DDR Clip Names

On the 855, the DDR2 window would show the current clip name. This does not seem to be the case with the 860. It shows me time remaining, which is great, but I also need to see the clip name. We use DDR2 for our replay, and need to know what clips are cued.

FX Button

The FX button does not seem to be functional on the ME rows.

kanep
07-30-2014, 07:49 PM
Just upgraaded from an 855 to an 860, and in playing around with the new features, I came across some things that I would like to see.

Buffer Advance

I would love to be able to hit the Buffer button repeatedly, and have it advance through my buffers. It gets confusing when I press Buffer, and the buffer I want isn't there. If I could just keep pressing the button until I saw what I wanted, it would be great.

DDR Clip Names

On the 855, the DDR2 window would show the current clip name. This does not seem to be the case with the 860. It shows me time remaining, which is great, but I also need to see the clip name. We use DDR2 for our replay, and need to know what clips are cued.

FX Button

The FX button does not seem to be functional on the ME rows.

I'm not sure I want the first thing on the list. You can use macros to change out the buffers numbers. I hate to think that I press the buffer button more than once by accident and it changes on me. If you need dynamic content to be shown, the graphics media player would be a better option. I get the idea of being able to change the buffer form the control surface, perhaps needs a different method to make it happen.

Its been a while since I've used an 855. You are talking in the viewport on the multiview display?

The FX Button is still kind of there, its been moved into the color groups. Now you have multiple color groups available which is kind of like having four 'FX' buttons. You can access the color group by clicking on the arrow just to the left Input 1. All buses that are assigned to the same color will follow each other. If you were using the FX bus as a second cuts only switcher, that can be accomplished by using a M/E in Mix mode and sending that channel to the second output.

SBowie
07-30-2014, 09:40 PM
The FX Button is still kind of there, its been moved into the color groups.Just to expand a bit, specifically the FX button is mapped to the green group.

fox56wolf
07-31-2014, 09:09 AM
You are talking in the viewport on the multiview display?

Yes. And on the Interface display for that matter. When I have a DDR in one of the viewports, it doesn't show me the clip name. I see this as a necessity!

I guess I'll have to play with the new color groups some more to figure out how that all works... Makes me wish there were an 'upgrade manual,' that explains "if you used to do this, now you have to do this..."

Also, I understand the the TriCaster unit only has 2 multi-viewer processors, but I would like to be able to route my scopes to one of my other outputs (SDI 3, HDMI, etc). Even if I'd be able to select them as one of my multiviewer sources, that would be helpful.

I'd also like to be able to send a secondary recording to my other DDR playlist. Right now, we use DDR2 for replay, but if we could have a 2nd recording building a 2nd playlist in DDR1, it would essentially give us a 2nd replay! I know, I know... "buy a 3Play!" Well, we're trying, but getting management to spend $25K isn't the easiest thing to do. Having a 2nd channel would help a ton in the meantime, though!

SBowie
07-31-2014, 11:32 AM
Makes me wish there were an 'upgrade manual,' that explains "if you used to do this, now you have to do this..."That's what the "First Look" doc is for, shown on launch until you turn it off. (After that, you can open it manually from Windows - C:\TriCaster\Documents\ ...)

Interesting point about the clip name ... hadn't noticed this but I checked and you are right. It was visible in Rev. 6 and earlier, but isn't in the newer software. You should post this as a feature request.

On the notion of splitting record output to different DDRs, while you cannot designate different Add to" targets for primary and secondary recorders, you can send clips to both, or even to different DDR presets ... so with a little creative deleting, you can kind of get what you want.

fox56wolf
07-31-2014, 02:43 PM
...you are right. It was visible in Rev. 6 and earlier, but isn't in the newer software. You should post this as a feature request.

This is the Feature Requests forum, right? OK, sorry, I'm a smart-***...

Anyway, something else that dawned on me... Right now, we use both Net inputs for LiveText graphics. We are looking into a 3play, but we don't want to lose our camera inputs, and we really can't lose a graphics channel. Is there any way to have LiveText link to the GFX1 & 2 sources? I mean, it would only make sense for our graphics computers (LiveText) to be on the graphics channel, right?

kanep
07-31-2014, 04:05 PM
You could have LiveText save its graphics as PNG images into the buffers (there is a share over the network to access the buffers) and they will auto-update in the TriCaster. You would have to Add them to get the graphics into the Graphics Media Players.

SBowie
07-31-2014, 05:36 PM
This is the Feature Requests forum, right? OK, sorry, I'm a smart-***...Oops, you caught me - sorry! I stumbled on your thread by clicking "New Posts" and didn't notice that (these sort of things pop up in the wrong place so often I just took it for granted). :p

Right now, we use both Net inputs for LiveText graphics.Really? Both? So you are running two copies of LT?

Anyway, no, as Kane has explained, the Media Player inputs on the Switcher can't be re-purposed as network inputs. In addition to the things he's mentioned, you might consider trying to 'double up' on a single channel, either composing multiple CG elements in LT, or where motion or independent display requirements make that unnatractive, you could look into an external CG solution that supports multiple layers over a single network feed. You'll find a number of these on the third-party dev pages (including CasparCG, which is free).

kanep
08-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Just to expand on the saving from LiveText into a frame buffer and having it auto-update, here are the steps.

1. Start up your session, from the file menu, make sure the option 'Share Media Folders and Buffers' is checked.
2. From you LiveText system, if you look on the network you will find the TriCaster system with a bunch of available shared, map the one called 'Frame Buffer' to a drive letter.
3. In LiveText create your title, when you are ready to send to the TriCaster, go to the file menu, choose 'Export Current Page' (you don't have to send the page to Live).
4. In the window that appears, navigate to drive you mapped from the TriCaster, inside you will see all 15 buffers as folders, choose the buffer you want to update.
5. Type in a name (anything will work), once you have created a file in this folder, I would just click on it to overwrite the previous one.
6. In the File-Type drop down choose 'Still Image .png')
7. Under resolution, choose the resolution that matches your session.
8. If it asks to append or replace, choose replace.

fox56wolf
08-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Really? Both? So you are running two copies of LT?

Yes. We are running LiveText with the Scoreboard plug-in on one computer for, well, the scoreboard, which by nature is constantly dynamic & crucial. Then we have another computer running LT for lower-thirds and full-screens.