PDA

View Full Version : Dfx+???

koots
11-24-2003, 08:34 PM
is this a cool program??? what kind of stuff can it do other than what we saw on the tut's from the LW site. i am buying the student version and i am not sure if it is worth th $495 upgrade to get the program. can someone please help me out. can it do depth of field? motion blur? stuff like that??? some one please help
-Jonn
i don't want to spend 495 so i can just add fog

WizCraker
11-25-2003, 12:23 PM
It is a profressional Compositing program, look on eyeonline.com for more info about it.

koots
11-25-2003, 05:05 PM
is it DFX+ 4? i am assuming it is. does anyone on have this program or used it before?

WizCraker
11-25-2003, 05:17 PM
yes and yes.

You can do more with it than just add fog, if you visit the link http://www.eyeonline.com/ you can learn more about it and what features it has. In the special with the upgrade for [8] you get module 1 & 4 which are two out of the total 7 that you can use to expand DFX+. It is node based which makes a very powerful compositer compared to After Effects and is easy to pick up. It comes with excellent documention plus a coursware book and DVD. Eyeon's site includes excellent techniques section and their Customer Service is top notch.

koots
11-25-2003, 10:05 PM
thanx!! buy the way do u work for this company:p
-jonn

UnCommonGrafx
11-25-2003, 10:09 PM
I don't think he does. I think he just updated and has been playing with this fabulous tool.

Kind of like the rest of us that did our homework. :D
Now you go do yours and order tomorrow!

koots
11-25-2003, 10:55 PM
please let me rmind everyone. I am a college Student, and pay for school!!!:p i just bought the LW 8 and if i buy DFX+ it is going on my credit card. I just want to here some good things about the program before i buy it, and go into deeper debt. I have never used a compositing program, ever! so i am not really sure what i am getting into. thanx for the comments so far though!!! please keep it coming
-jonn

WizCraker
11-25-2003, 11:17 PM
No I don't work for Eyeon, though I would if I had the offer. They are a good company and they take care of their customers, I had a tech issue I called and left a message and was not expecting a call back until the next day, they called after normal business hours to make sure I resolved the issue. That is some of the best customer service that I have experienced.. plus they keep in touch and make sure that I have not had any problems with the program.

pauland
11-26-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by koots
I have never used a compositing program, ever! so i am not really sure what i am getting into. thanx for the comments so far though!!! please keep it coming
-jonn

My comment is this: don't buy it unless you are sure that you need it. Why would you want to buy it if "i am not really sure what i am getting into"?

Just buy what you know you need, you won't waste money that way. You won't pull more women by having a DFX+ box on the shelf.

Paul

wacom
11-26-2003, 09:56 AM
I think it's safe to say that if you work with video and do anything beyond the simplest titles, fades, cuts etc that a comp program can work wonders for you. I've used AE and now DFX+ and to me it seems that AE is easier to use for EASY stuff like basic motion graphics and DFX+ is 100 times better at doing the "tricky" stuff. You can do A LOT more with DFX+ then people let on here in this forum, or from what you'll see in the tutorials. The documentation videos that come with it are really good at getting you up to speed.

Plan on doing green or blue screen work? How about rotoscope work? Need to merge video with stuff you've made in LW? How about post shot stabilization? Motion graphics? If so do your self a favor and get a comp app.

Oh- and good motion tracking works wonders when and if you need it- and DFX+ has some of the best 2D tracking!

PS- the biggest diffrence between DFX+ and DF is that DF is "bit depth independent" for input AND out put. DFX+ will take a wide bit depth in- but only put out 32 bit stuff (R8-G8-B8-A8).

WizCraker
11-26-2003, 11:51 AM
The only real reason you would want to go to Digital Fusion is if you were to do film work since 16bit per channel is the standard. If all you plan on doing is to learn and go to TV, DVD then DFX+ works perfect for that type of work.

Also there is a special on the Module Bundle to complete DFX+ included are (2,3,6 and 7) which is on for $995 [$1795 value] until year end. [It does not include module 5, which is distributed rendering]

koots
11-28-2003, 11:31 PM
wow guys thanx a lot!!! I do this stuff just for fun. I love 3d and plan on teaching my self till i get great at it. i think later on this will come into handy, So i think i am going to break out the credit card and go into a bit of debt. LW was worth the $$ i just hope DFX+ will be. But i am pretty sure it will
-jonn