PDA

View Full Version : Been working with PolyFlow

Tony3d
07-30-2014, 07:29 AM
Been working on my polyflow. This seems to me to be about as optimal as it can get. What do you think? Put everything I've learned so far into this object. Just realized that edit edges is a loop slider, adder, eraser. I love it!

djwaterman
07-30-2014, 08:35 AM
Hooray, I didn't know it could erase edges as well, Left mouse button and holding Shift, thanks.

Tony3d
07-30-2014, 09:11 AM
Ya, It's really nice. I Like It!

- - - Updated - - -

Is there an easy way to fix this weak point?

Surrealist.
07-30-2014, 10:01 AM
polyflow looking very good. :)

The easiest way to fix that weak spot is to move it off of the edge. Simple to say. But that is the basic idea. Create a clean edge loop around the edge and simply use a loop just behind it but not on the edge to make this connection.

There is another way to do it but it is harder to explain, when you want the two shapes to share the same edge - which is very common - and there is no place to put another loop as this creates an unwanted lip.

I'd have to show you - if I get some time.

djwaterman
07-30-2014, 10:19 AM
Here's an attempt at solving the poly flow, by as Richard said having a loop at those problem areas, and moving any 5 edged poles (stars) back away from that area, my model wasn't made beautiful, I just dragged points around by hand, so the hole is not perfectly round or anything, I was only trying to think about poly flow.

Of course you could make it perfect.

Surrealist.
07-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Yeah that is the idea. OK here is a drawing to illustrate the second idea more clearly.

Hope that makes sense. It is basically just taking those inside corners as a loop (sound familiar :) ) and this allows you to keep the joining area flat.

Tony3d
07-30-2014, 11:19 AM
This looks a bit better. The problem is that I want to maintain this contour. Don't think it's possible to move it much further out without loosing the contour is it?

Tony3d
07-30-2014, 01:16 PM
This looks ok I guess.

Surrealist.
07-31-2014, 02:50 AM
if you do it with the polyflow in my sketch you can keep the contour and maintain edgeloops. It requires more polys but that is the trade off.

in essence is is nothing more than this: