PDA

View Full Version : What is the Speed of Dark

VonBon
07-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Figured this may be of interest to some of us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTvcpdfGUtQ

saranine
07-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Figured this may be of interest to some of us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTvcpdfGUtQ

This is an excellent video. However some people will remain ignorant no matter what. I think that Thomas Paine said one that trying to talk to a person who's abandoned reason is as useless as speaking to a corpse.

I will probably add the video to the best quote that I ever came across:

"The Student can learn more in ten hours of properly tutored instruction than in 10 years of trial and error". - Emanuel Lasker speaking about chess. He was World Chess Champion and a famous chess teacher. His book of London Chess lectures is worth a read if you can ever find a copy. He was also a qualified doctor and a world class mathematician. He was an incredible guy. The quote was in a book "The Chess Companion" by Chernev. I have never been able to track down its exact source as a quote. Of course the added difficulty is that it might be a translation; Lasker was German.

The Dunning Kruger effect? I'd extend this to people who are experts IN their own field! I will give a concrete example:

When I was 14 I went to a chiropractic surgeon about my scoliosis. This guy was about top of his field in this surgery. I went to assess my options - brace, surgery etc. He got me to lie down. Then he struck my patella with a rubber hammer. There was no reflex arc at all. He said something about me being in big trouble. I said "what" and he didn't want to talk about my lack of a reflex arc anymore.

So I thought this and I emailed a Professor of Neuroscience at a nearby university. I asked him " I have no reflex arcs - is this bad or what?" The Professor emailed me back and said that no, it isn't - also in adolescents the refelx arc can vary from week to week. So in short this highly regarded surgeon should never have tested me for that arc reaction!

So I have found some real ignorance among experts in a field! I mean, that surgeon was in newspaper articles and interviews and the whole bit. And he did that!! V Sauce should find him and put him straight! :)

Davewriter
07-29-2014, 08:26 PM
Just as soon as my eyes open in the morning I realize just how much I need to start learning today.
THANKS for the vid. Enjoyed it greatly!

spherical
07-30-2014, 12:50 AM
First quoted by Stephen Wright (http://www.toinspire.com/Humor/Steven%20Wright%20quotations.html), I believe. Nearly passed a mouthful of Gin and Tonic through my nose.

GandB
07-30-2014, 02:16 AM
Dark has no speed. ;)

spherical
07-30-2014, 02:36 AM
How do you know?

alexos
07-30-2014, 03:31 AM
“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”

Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

GandB
07-30-2014, 11:48 AM
How do you know?

Easy. I just close my eyes and time stands still. ;)

mikala
07-30-2014, 12:59 PM
It is infinite and when it passes gas, light pours out.