PDA

View Full Version : LightWave and "FBX 2013"

OlaHaldor
07-29-2014, 03:22 PM
I'm getting started with Unreal Engine, and in their wiki they recommend saving to "FBX 2013".
By the looks of it, LightWave can save to the following

FBX201100
FBX201000
FBX200900
FBX200611
FBX201200

Now, I don't know what the difference between any of these are, except I don't see anything reminding me of "2013".

Is this on the to do list for LightWave?

I've been given an FBX from a friend who's modeled a big building, but certain details are way out of place when compared to what she showed me it should look like. Got me wondering if it's because she modeled it in 3D Max, and exported FBX 2013.

GraphXs
07-29-2014, 04:40 PM
I just tried to export a model w/max fbx2013 into modeler as well as tried layout and it worked fine. It looked 1 to 1 with Max. AS far as the geometry placement, and color maps etc. The only thing that might not transfer correct is possibly the xforms of the model. She would need to make sure they are rest on the max side. (she could also attach all the items in max as well, That would reset it) Not sure if that is an issue, but the only thing I can think of.

GraphXs
07-29-2014, 04:54 PM
Just tried it with some basic objects with transforms and rotations for each in max. (without resting the xforms or attaching) They also both worked in LW (modeler and layout) The different is (Layout keeps the local space and respects the scale, rot, potion of the items that I did in Max) The models however from the layout FBX are "lying down" on the side in modeler to correct the Z/Y up from Max to LW as well as position in the place I created them in Max. If I just import the FBX to Modeler the transforms are frozen and the and the models are just in the world space with rotations and scale collapsed. No Issues here. Though if all you need is the model I would bring/import the fbx into modeler.