PDA

View Full Version : P:Null Surface Problem

JBT27
07-29-2014, 08:43 AM
We have an object with two surfaces that have image maps in the colour channel. When the scene was packaged and opened in a different seat of LW (same version), these two surfaces reported as Procedural in the colour channel, rendered white, and the layer name showed P:Null.

Any idea what this is? Apart from the image maps missing and the surface type having changed - I have a vague recollection of this P:Null error in LW from years ago; not been able to track it down anywhere.

Thanks.

Julian.

jeric_synergy
07-29-2014, 08:54 AM
No idea, but: look for unusual characters in any of the naming.

("The Namening: A Animator's Horror Film".) ;)

JBT27
07-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Thanks. I cannot see anything odd about the file names, though now you mention it, I recall that it was weird file naming that could trigger this error. I'll take a closer look and maybe squish the filenames to be shorter - that was another thing I recall: filename length could do this.

Julian.

spherical
07-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Apart from the image maps missing

Are they missing, due to the surface type having changed or actually missing? If the image map files are not there to be loaded, this could trigger what you are seeing.

JBT27
07-29-2014, 04:51 PM
No, not actually missing. As seems standard, if a surface has an image map assigned, but the map is missing, a dialog appears allowing you to add it, or find another. In this case, those surfaces changed from Image to Procedural, and reported this P:Null in the layer name field.

We're still checking into it - as always, the first place we look is 'we screwed up somehow', but as I mentioned, I do recall this as an odd LW error from way back in the day.

Julian.

spherical
07-29-2014, 05:06 PM
So the image shows up as loaded in Image Editor?

I seem to recall seeing this now, too.

jeric_synergy
07-29-2014, 06:54 PM
It's not just FILE naming: Surface names with odd (or even not-so-odd) naming, or leading spaces, or non-alphanumeric characters should ALL be avoided.

In general, use very very very vanilla naming strategies.

Good luck! I remember these things can be quite obscure.

JBT27
07-30-2014, 06:08 AM
Yes, spherical, the images are definitely loaded - they just needed relinking, and the surface colour channel converted back to Image. Again, I do remember this, but it was years ago; it might even have been the late 90s or so.

Thanks jeric_synergy - I'll triple check all of that, again - must have missed something, and in truth this is a rare problem, by definition with a rare cause.

Julian.

spherical
07-30-2014, 11:24 PM
Well, that rules that out then. Thanks for the confirm. I'll look further.