PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Subpatch Question

Tony3d
07-28-2014, 10:47 AM
Ok, I need to make many of my models to exact sizes. I have the outer edge points of these cylinders set to the diameter I want, but when I hit the tab key, the diameter get's much smaller. How do you build something meant for sub patching to be exact sizes?

ernpchan
07-28-2014, 10:54 AM
I guess the obvious answer would be not to model with subpatches.

djwaterman
07-28-2014, 11:27 AM
Put a reference object in a background layer, a poly disk, and match the sub-D model to it. Alternatively add more segments if you must.

JoePoe
07-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Ah, there's the rub!

What you need is actual CAD software that deals with real NURB objects.
Yes we have LWcad and soon it will have NURBS curves but it's still no Rhino.

Maybe MOI is a nice in between package (I haven't tried it..... yet).

Otherwise, the above is true.... an approximation or no subD.

hrgiger
07-28-2014, 01:32 PM
Ah, there's the rub!

What you need is actual CAD software that deals with real NURB objects.
Yes we have LWcad and soon it will have NURB curves but it's still no Rhino.

Maybe MOI is a nice in between package (I haven't tried it..... yet).

Otherwise, the above is true.... an approximation or no subD.

Well LWCAD 5 will have NURBS surfaces, not just curves so you will be able to model much more similar to Rhino. Unfortunately the initial release won't have Booleans as far as I am aware but those will be coming later.

JoePoe
07-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Well LWCAD 5 will have NURBS surfaces, not just curves so you will be able to model much more similar to Rhino.

Well that's nice to know. Much better. Thanks! Until then...... :beerchug:!

No Booleans... :cry:...:D.

probiner
07-28-2014, 08:01 PM
Use this lookup table to scale closed circles and have them fit precise sizes better, not perfect)

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/animatics/Lightwave/Blending-Circles-for-SubD.png

Cheers

prometheus
07-29-2014, 09:42 AM
I think if you try to model products with subdivision surfaces, you would really need to get into and understand how to create edgeloops and put them where you want them for sharp corners in the model, and how to create additional divisions in a proper model, you could
of course use catmull clark but it will be slower, and if not controlling the sharp parts of the model with edgeloops, then you would need to divide it so much anyway from scratch in order to detail model it, I would probably stay away from subpatch and model
geometry where needed, and if it was necessary, tripple it and then subdivide it more, depends on the end purpose ..for printing or just render.

Moi, rhino and solidworks is a natural choice otherwise for pro-construction I would say, no need to wrestle with loops,points and polys and getting lost in that, simply draw your curve profiles, and do you lofting and booleans without that kind of worrying.
It will be interesting once Lw-cad getsīs nurbs.

Michael

Tony3d
07-29-2014, 09:16 PM
Thanks to everyone.