PDA

View Full Version : Grouping objects for render

doug1138
07-28-2014, 10:01 AM
I apologize if this has been asked/answered but I can't seem to find out if this is possible.

I'm working on a warehouse scene. the camera is outside looking in through the open doors. I want to group all the outside elements (walls, doors, ground, sky, etc) and all the indoor elements (ceiling, floor, walls, etc.) separately so that I can easily calculate global and render the inside, then calculate and render the outside in separate passes.

Right now I have to go per-object and set alpha to black, matte object, unseen by rays, etc and I'd really like to speed that process up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Doug

ernpchan
07-28-2014, 10:33 AM
Sounds like you want something like Janus or Passport to manage your scene into multiple render passes.

Janus
http://faulknermano.com/janus/

PassPort
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lw-passport/

inkpen3d
07-28-2014, 10:38 AM
Have a look at Janus (http://faulknermano.com/janus/index.html), I think it "automates" what you are wanting to do.

Advise you start off by viewing some of the User Tutorials at the bottom of the Tutorials page.

Regards,
Peter

doug1138
07-28-2014, 10:55 AM
Have a look at Janus (http://faulknermano.com/janus/index.html), I think it "automates" what you are wanting to do.

Advise you start off by viewing some of the User Tutorials at the bottom of the Tutorials page.

Regards,
Peter

That should do it... Thanks

spherical
07-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Can each inside/outside set be multiple selected in Scene Editor and turned off/on en-mass?

doug1138
07-28-2014, 05:08 PM
Can each inside/outside set be multiple selected in Scene Editor and turned off/on en-mass?

Yes it can, but it still ends up being a lot of clicks. I can multi-select several objects and then click the flag 'unseen by camera' in one of them but only that one gets checked, the others stay unchecked; so I have to click click click click click all of the other highlighted objects.

Is there a way to check boxes en-mass?

Thanks

ernpchan
07-28-2014, 05:14 PM
Yes it can, but it still ends up being a lot of clicks. I can multi-select several objects and then click the flag 'unseen by camera' in one of them but only that one gets checked, the others stay unchecked; so I have to click click click click click all of the other highlighted objects.

Is there a way to check boxes en-mass?

Thanks

You can shift select all your items and then change their properties en-masse in the Properties window.

doug1138
07-28-2014, 07:42 PM
You can shift select all your items and then change their properties en-masse in the Properties window.

Hmmm that never seems to work for me. If I shift click several objects, they all highlight but when I click in the check box of choice, only the one I click in is checked

spherical
07-28-2014, 09:06 PM
Works here, in both Scene Editor (original) and Scene/Dope Editor. Don't click the checkboxes.

In the original SE, Right-click on the multiple selection > cursor menu > Item Properties.

In the S/DE (new), Right-click on the multiple selection > cursor menu > Manipulate > Item property panel.

Selections in the Properties panel apply to all items selected, even though you are seeing only the "top" one.

doug1138
07-28-2014, 10:18 PM
Works here, in both Scene Editor (original) and Scene/Dope Editor. Don't click the checkboxes.

In the original SE, Right-click on the multiple selection > cursor menu > Item Properties.

In the S/DE (new), Right-click on the multiple selection > cursor menu > Manipulate > Item property panel.

Selections in the Properties panel apply to all items selected, even though you are seeing only the "top" one.

Ahhhhh Now I get it... Thanks. Man, I knew there had to be a way to do exactly that.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Doug

spherical
07-28-2014, 11:05 PM
Happy to have helped.

There REALLY should be the equivalent of: Multiple-select > Visibility Drop-down > Hide Selected Items; but for Active/Inactive. Dead simple that way. Duh. I'm lookin' at YOU, Dev team...

Sensei
10-26-2014, 12:27 AM
Doug, do you see little icon on the left of Properties button on the bottom of Layout below viewport?
Click it, select a few items, and then Selection, and Create Set.
From now on, it's "group of items".
Once you pick it, Properties will be changing them all.
Click on "Unseen By ..." or Dissolve 100%, and all objects in group are hidden.

I have plugin Activate Selection, Deactivate Selection, Activate Next Item, Activate Previous Item that greatly help in such toggling what has to be rendered uniquely, see video tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQYelIvPtio
Hot keying Activate Selection/Deactivate Selection, together with Selection groups, would be the quickest way to switch between them. Without bothering to open SE.

Sensei
10-26-2014, 12:30 AM
There REALLY should be the equivalent of: Multiple-select > Visibility Drop-down > Hide Selected Items; but for Active/Inactive. Dead simple that way. Duh. I'm lookin' at YOU, Dev team...

You actually have. In your copy of TrueArt's Modeling Pack (http://modelingpack.trueart.eu).. ;)
See above video tutorial..

spherical
10-26-2014, 02:34 AM
Yes, and my point is that it should be NATIVE.

jwiede
10-26-2014, 03:47 AM
Happy to have helped.

Agreed, both visibility of "active" state and controlling it should be easier, right now it's a bit "buried". That's somewhat unavoidable from the scene editor itself not being a "top level" view, but even within the scene editor viewing/accessing it isn't as simple as it should be for that functionality.

Speaking of, lack of a top level scene editor view is one of the areas where Layout really shows its age. If secondary windows weren't so ill-behaved (esp. w.r.t. multi-monitor cases) this wouldn't be a problem, but leaving secondary windows open "encourages" certain Z-order / input focus problems to occur in Layout (in both Win & Mac, though more so in Mac). Unless those issues can be 100% fixed, which the devs seem unable to achieve, they discourage leaving a scene editor window open all the time.

Perhaps a viable alternative would be a pref to replace the pop-up dope editor with a pop-up (full) scene editor view instead?

spherical
10-26-2014, 04:15 PM
If secondary windows weren't so ill-behaved (esp. w.r.t. multi-monitor cases) this wouldn't be a problem, but leaving secondary windows open "encourages" certain Z-order / input focus problems to occur in Layout

Is that what's causing it? Just so I'm sure we're on the same page, every so often a command/button/key just becomes unresponsive. App hasn't crashed, but what I want to do at this point isn't going anywhere. Only noticed it in 11.6+ versions, IIRC. I have a standard set of windows that I use frequently open on the opposite monitor for both Layout and Modeler; they're essentially mirror images of each other. One of the Layout windows is Classic Scene Editor.

On another related rant, the Properties window has to be manually opened every time Layout starts. It goes where it is supposed to but isn't there by default, like all of the others.