PDA

View Full Version : Screen surface / grid problems

digic
07-28-2014, 10:00 AM
I'm trying to create a cylinder that looks like it's made of screen (wire mesh). I'm using the grid procedural on the transparency channel but experiencing odd banding along one axis, i.e. the grid is not even. In the attached images I left smoothing turned off so you can see that the banding is not occurring along polygon edges. Any ideas what's going on or a better way to create a screen without having to model it?

ernpchan
07-28-2014, 10:53 AM
I think what you're seeing is the grid procedural running through one of the axis where it then creates that thicker line. You make a tiling image of your grid and then apply that as an image map.

digic
07-28-2014, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "the grid procedural running through one of the axis", but your suggestion to use an image map works great. Thanks!

BeeVee
07-29-2014, 03:50 AM
The Grid procedural is projected as a grid in all three dimensions and your cylinder is just intersecting that grid. No matter what measurements you put on the cylinder or the grid you are likely to get such seeming thickening (or thinning).

B

digic
07-29-2014, 09:22 AM
I guess that means the grid procedural just can't be used on cylinders, spheres, etc. Fortunately tiling an image map seems to work fine.

BeeVee
07-29-2014, 10:19 AM
It can't even be used on cubes if you get your measurements wrong... :D Image maps are the better way to go, and more, multiple image maps - for Color, Bump, possibly Reflection and Diffuse. Remember that only a Color map needs colour and save the others as greyscale images.

B