PDA

View Full Version : Setups for most Optimized Animation Renderings

Chernoby
07-27-2014, 07:41 PM
I'm aboot to start rendering out a project that is near and dear to me and has taken quite a while to get to this point. Problem is rendering for many scenes is going to take 7-8 min a frame which is doable but there may be better render set-ups or render/post combos that will achieve results that save a lot of time. I will be rendering in layers for the really complex shots and all close-ups. (Settings for 11.5)

I use:

RENDER:
All Raytrace checked.
Recursion Limit, Ray Precision, Light/Shadow Sampling: 8.0
Ray Cut off: 0.01

GLOBAL ILLUM:
Final Gather
Interpolated, Ambient Occlusion, Blur Background: On
Indirect Bounces: 5
Rays Per Evaluation: 250
Secondary Rays: 50

CAMERA:
Unified AA
4 min
8 max
Reconstruction Filter: Box (heard it mimics film best)
Sampling Pattern: Fixed
Adaptive Sampling: On
Threshold: 0.01
Oversample: 0.5

MOTION:
Photoreal with 3 passes at 50%

DOF: On

I never have luck with DOF in post. Motion blur is 50% success rate. Any tweaks or suggestions are appreciated.

spherical
07-27-2014, 08:35 PM
That it's motion with Motion Blur 3-pass, I usually back off on AS Threshold to 0.05 or 0.08. Saves a lot of time per frame. Because the bits are all blended together by MB and the eye's persistence of vision assimilating 24-30 FPS, the small artifacts just aren't noticed, if even there.

ernpchan
07-27-2014, 08:38 PM
If you can do the motion blur in comp that'd be best. It'll reduce render times and you'll have more control over the blur without having to re-render in LightWave.

Danner
07-28-2014, 01:55 AM
GLOBAL ILLUM:
Final Gather

Indirect bounces above 3 are hardly noticeable but are render intensive, Up RPE and secondary rays instead wich seem quite low.
As for motion blur, RSMB filter in post works quite well for stuff that doesn't have repeating patters or thin lines. There is also the option of using motion vectors for motion blur but I've never tried it.

BeeVee
07-28-2014, 02:25 AM
Does your scene have lots of sampling lights (Area, Linear, NGon, Dome, Spherical, Photometric)? Your Render Globals settings (it's shading, rather than shadow btw) of 8 seem high. Also Min Passes at 4 doesn't necessarily benefit render times; unless there's a specific reason like overhead wires or thin bannister rails, etc. I usually leave Min at 1 with no ill effects and better (or equivalent) render speed. If you have left Max at 8 I'm guessing you don't need a lot of sampling in your scene. Try reducing Global Light/Shading samples and Min Antialiasing samples to their defaults of 1. That should improve your render times. It would be easier to help if you could give us some examples of images from the scene?

B

spherical
07-28-2014, 02:34 AM
Also, supplemental to what BeeVee said, if you do have many lights and have noise in the render, using DP Light types often can help the situation, as the samples can be set to be independent of the global LW max value. That allows setting the global max low, except for those particular lights.

Chernoby
07-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Everything yall have suggested works, sped up my render times DRAMATICALLY. I was always scrutinizing stills and your right spherical, Threshold don't matta as much in animation. The movement is too great to notice.

Danner you are right aboot the indirect bounces too. Not even noticeable when I did animation except on parts with thin lines (scaffolding in the background).

ernpchan Haven't brought anything into AE for motion blur yet but I will. I was avoiding MB in post bc my initial setup took long w or w/out MB post. But with all these great suggestions I do not fear wasting time on a render now. And that "sealed with a kiss" gallery example showed using post MB so I will def try and start using that as my default process.

BeeVee I am mainly using DP Infinite(?) sweetest dang ext light ever imo and one or two sphericals. The shading samples can def be lowered. 8 was overkill

I'm going to post some stills this evening with difference in times. Again, thank yall... BIG help

spherical
07-28-2014, 04:01 PM
BeeVee I am mainly using DP Infinite(?) sweetest dang ext light ever imo and one or two sphericals.

I thought I was feeling a little fragmented lately....

Chernoby
07-28-2014, 07:55 PM
I thought I was feeling a little fragmented lately....

I appreciate this statement as much as my daily recommended dose of fiber.

Chernoby
07-30-2014, 12:06 AM
Ok here is the side by side stills. The first one was with the ridiculous high settings and render time was 9.23 min. The second was done with all the time saving tweaks and render time was 1.23 min. The differences are even less when I rendered out a animation sequence and the only thing I have to work around is the bump maps on the lower setting in the distance flicker a tad but I think adding a gradient set to the camera and smoothing bumps out the further away the terrain is will fix that issue. Thanks again for the great tips.

ernpchan
07-30-2014, 12:29 AM
Beautiful renders. Looking forward to seeing the animation.

BeeVee
07-30-2014, 04:27 AM
That's a beautiful render, looking forward to seeing the animation.

B

JBT27
07-30-2014, 05:59 AM
Useful info - great image Chernoby.

Julian.

Chernoby
03-05-2015, 08:00 PM
Thought I'd share this with everyone. I been rendering out all kinds of scenes for film and I'll share what is my sweet spot for rendering settings:

RENDER:
All Raytrace checked.
Recursion Limit, Ray Precision: 6.0 (unless I need more rays for transparent materials layering over each other)
Ray Cut off: 0.01
Shading and Light Samples: 1 (increase to 2 or more if I can see polygons from shading)

GLOBAL ILLUM:
(Night Scenes or Indoors)
Monte Carlo
Indirect Bounces: 3
Angular Tolerance: 45.00
Min Pix Space: 3.0
Max Pix Space: 25
Multiplier: 25%

(Day Scenes - weird bc day scenes have caused more flicker than night or indoor. Might be bc they are darker and more atmospheric?)
Final Gather
Rays Per Evaluation: 100
Angular Tolerance: 20.00
Min Pix Space: 3.0
Max Pix Space: 25
Multiplier: 25%
Cached: Checked On

CAMERA:
Unified AA
1 min
35 max
Reconstruction Filter: Box (heard it mimics film best)
Sampling Pattern: Fixed
Adaptive Sampling: On
Threshold: 0.03 (sometimes 0.02 if there is a deep depth of field and very contrasting color in back or foreground)
Oversample: 0.25

MOTION:
Photoreal with 1 passes at 50%

DOF: On

Motion works great with one pass so I dont need multiple passes.

Waves of light
03-06-2015, 03:09 AM
Epic renders! How have the new settings affected renders times (secs saved per frame)?

Chernoby
03-06-2015, 09:01 AM
Epic renders! How have the new settings affected renders times (secs saved per frame)?

Oh man, these settings cut my times done from an average of 4:30-5:30 min to 0:45-1:30 so I'm able to render three, sometimes four scenes, a day vs waiting till night to render out for next morning. The settings improved my productivity tremendously. While a render is going on I can be setting up objects in modeler or tweaking in zbrush or compositing in AE. When rendering is done I can start on new scene.

Even with the inescapable reality of rendering out 2-4 times before a shot is totally polished I'm getting around 3 great shots a day.

Note: Sometimes with the night settings I'll get random black circles on object surfaces from radiosity (not spotches or flickering, full perfectly round black circles that sometimes overlap). I just have rerender those frames and bump up the multiplier and max spacing to 26 and 26% and then overwrite that frame in folder. But this only happens like 1 in every 300 frames.

Waves of light
03-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Oh man, these settings cut my times done from an average of 4:30-5:30 min to 0:45-1:30 so I'm able to render three, sometimes four scenes, a day vs waiting till night to render out for next morning. The settings improved my productivity tremendously. While a render is going on I can be setting up objects in modeler or tweaking in zbrush or compositing in AE. When rendering is done I can start on new scene.

Even with the inescapable reality of rendering out 2-4 times before a shot is totally polished I'm getting around 3 great shots a day.

Note: Sometimes with the night settings I'll get random black circles on object surfaces from radiosity (not spotches or flickering, full perfectly round black circles that sometimes overlap). I just have rerender those frames and bump up the multiplier and max spacing to 26 and 26% and then overwrite that frame in folder. But this only happens like 1 in every 300 frames.

Excellent results then. Re. black spots, have you checked that all you geometry is clean e.g. no single points, no two point polys, no polys occupying the same space (with can happen if you do a COPY PASTE by accident)?

Chernoby
03-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the tip. I've run into that problem before but this is different. The spots are large black perfect circles. There will be 5-50 of them. It only happens in Monte Carlo radiosity and I think it only happens when a spotlight is in the scene (dont know if spotlight is part of problem). Once they show up, they will keep being rendered on the same frame unless I change the Max Space and Multiplier settings or reload scene. If I reload they usually reappear in a different pattern but on different frames.